Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 598
  1. #181
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    7,134
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Oleada, you're officially famous.

  2. #182

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,685
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7566
    Quote Originally Posted by dundas View Post
    Whining from a bunch of typical white racist losers.
    Are you for real?

    Btw-I'm not 'white'. And I certainly don't consider myself to be a racist when it comes to people who cheat. Notice I said 'people'. I don't need to pull the race card-a cheat is a cheat, and a liar is a liar no matter what race or ethnic group they come from.

    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And how do you know that everyone posting in this thread is white?
    I was about post this but you beat me to it.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

  3. #183

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    FSU Witness Protection Program
    Age
    26
    Posts
    27,951
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    12082
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Oleada, you're officially famous.


    Anyway, I don't want this to get lost in the shuffle. It was posted originally by poster benedict_david (thanks!) who noticed a discrepancy with Han Yan's birthday.

    Han Yan
    ISU birthdate: 06.03.1996
    Listed birthdate: 06.03.1994
    It is from the 2007/10/29 document.

  4. #184

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,817
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    "White racist losers'? Uh...if you see my analysis of who'd benefit most if Sui/Han and others are stripped of their ISU medals, you'd see Japan at the top of the list. In the case of Zhang/Zhang at the jr level, other Chinese would move up. Nothing racist about it.

  5. #185
    Briber of judges
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    15,859
    vCash
    2574
    Rep Power
    14817
    Good job by all posters responsible for bringing this important issue to the forefront. Of course it's not like skating needs another scandal....

    Now it will be interesting to see if other news agencies around the world pick up on the AP story. Also I thought it interesting that the ISU already was aware of the "discrepancies." Obviously they are reading FSU as well.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

  6. #186

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Somewhere obsessing about ice dancing
    Posts
    1,041
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Nancy Armour does a lot of articles about skating, so I would not be surprised if she was a member here.
    She is and she has linked to this forum before as has Hersh. They both have stated that it would be foolish to not visit this site often for up to date info on the sport. Phil Hersh is not my favorite journalist in the world but I appreciate him giving credit where it was due.

  7. #187
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    “It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    Posts
    1,583
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by OlieRow View Post
    I was under the impression (and I'm nor sure where I saw the speculation) that the stripping of the 2000 medals was a concession from the IOC where they wouldn't do anything about 2008 because it would humiliate the host nation.
    That doesn't make sense. Who cares if they are humiliated, if they broke the rules?

  8. #188
    JEWELS.
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Minor Planet Johnnyweir 12413
    Posts
    11,572
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Ms. Kexin Zhang -

    Was 3rd at Jr G-P of Japan. Angela Wang of the USA, who came in 4th, would move up to a bronze medal

    Ms. Li Zijun -

    Was 3rd at Jr G-P Finals - Risa Shoji of Japan would move up to the bronze medal.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the birthdates of Kexin Zhang and Zijun Li have been consistent in both the Chinese sports and ISU records. Therefore, they are not suspect under the age discrepancies issue and discussion of having their results taken away does not make sense.

    Kexin Zhang was originally entered for Four Continents, but pinky166 correctly identified on Feb 5 that Kexin is too young (not 15 (only 14) by July 1, 2010) to participate in Senior ISU Championships. Kexin Zhang is no longer entered for Four Continents 2011.

    The identification of this error led haribobo and others to wonder about the ages of Chinese ladies skaters in the 4CCs forum in Kiss and Cry. sammyf linked to the Chinese Sports listing of skater ages and RFOS found that Sui's birthdate was different and the rest is history.

    Bingwa Geng and Binshu Xu do have age discrepancy issues as pointed out previously in this thread.
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 02-14-2011 at 10:40 PM.

  9. #189
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Busy stalking the world.
    Posts
    3,832
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    21575
    pinky166, sammyf, RFOS and oleada

    Never for one second did I believe Wenjing Sui was 15 - glad the truth has emerged, and hope something is actually done about it.

  10. #190
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Land of Make Believe
    Age
    31
    Posts
    84
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    My quick take on this: Asian girls/ women can look deceptively young physically for their actual age,so it’s unfair to automatically assume all Chi nese female athletes to be underage. OTOH,Chinese sporting feds have track record of fudging certain athlete‘s ages,let‘s face it,Chinese bureaucracy i sn’t known for being stellarly ethical。These two f acts don‘t have to be mutually exclusive of each o ther i.e. they can both be true. There exists a middle ground of assessing suspicions without all-encompassing assumptions that delve into ethnic or racial traits. This is where things can be interpreted as being r acially insensitive。。。。Iget uncomfortable reading  certain speculations about Asian physical traits a nd such,andI’m only partially Asian。 I guess whatIdon’t want to happen is for future skat ers to be presumed "guilty" before evidence or pro of。 We can be fair and judicious in our discussion s,that goes for both sides。

  11. #191

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7,344
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Kudos to the named FSU'ers for their work ... and glad that Hersh (and others) are giving you the credit that you deserve!

  12. #192

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,872
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3930
    Portia -- I don't disagree with your premise, but I haven't heard anyone suggest that all Chinese skaters are underage. (In fact, in at least one of the cases mentioned, the issue is the guy being too old.)

    Seeing her in person, Sui looks like a middle schooler, not a fifteen-year-old, and I say that with years of working in a middle school that has a high ethnic Chinese enrollment. She may be 15 (with the joint wear of a 40 year old from those throw quad attempts, shudder) but I would not be surprised to find that she is younger.

    I don't know what is going to be available in the way of "evidence or proof" given that these situations have apparently happened before with the concurrence (and probably active support) of the Chinese government -- but if someone previously convicted of fraud is accused of engaging in new fraud via evidence like this, are you surprised?

  13. #193
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,540
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    I heard this on the radio today and knew where to go for details.

    Kudos to the OP and others who found this info!
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 02-14-2011 at 11:54 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  14. #194
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Land of Make Believe
    Age
    31
    Posts
    84
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    Portia -- I don't disagree with your premise, but I haven't heard anyone suggest that all Chinese skaters are underage. (In fact, in at least one of the cases mentioned, the issue is the guy being too old.)

    Seeing her in person, Sui looks like a middle schooler, not a fifteen-year-old, and I say that with years of working in a middle school that has a high ethnic Chinese enrollment. She may be 15 (with the joint wear of a 40 year old from those throw quad attempts, shudder) but I would not be surprised to find that she is younger.

    I don't know what is going to be available in the way of "evidence or proof" given that these situations have apparently happened before with the concurrence (and probably active support) of the Chinese government -- but if someone previously convicted of fraud is accused of engaging in new fraud via evidence like this, are you surprised?
    That‘s what is so hard in these cases now,because  we only suspect girls who look "young“ via Western standards. Why not just presume ALL Chinese women athletes to be underage then? It’s such a tough call and an yone who claims there is a COMPLETELY fair way of  assessing and correcting these cases are either si mplistic in thinking or dead wrong。 We can only TR Y to be as fair and sensitive as possible。 Either  way Chinese athletes are going to suffer being cas t in suspicions, justly or not。I‘m not opposed to  a stiff penalty on Chinese fed or even athletes th emselves。  A message needs to be sent to not just  Chinese sporting authorities but also the governme nt in general, that their prevailing attitude of doing all that's necessary to get ahead at the expense of ethics,is one that’s shaming the wh ole country and its people on a worldwide stage 。

  15. #195
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,703
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Last edited by jlai; 02-15-2011 at 01:23 AM.

  16. #196

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,685
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7566
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    Probably. But sooner or later, someone is going to slip enough that the governing bodies will have no choice but to sanction/strip people of medals. Either way, the Chinese either have to start playing by the rules, or get smarter about cheating.
    What ticks me off about this, apart from the cheating is that such athletes get to experience the joy of standing on a podium, hearing their country's anthem, etc. but if they are stripped of their medals many years later-the next athlete down just gets the medal and maybe a token ceremony of some kind like the 2000 U.S. Olympic Women's Gymnastics Team. It looked lovely, but I'm sure it would not have the same feel as standing on the Olympic podium in their glory days.

    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    True... However, the 2000 gymnastics team was found out because one of their gymnasts posted her age on a blog. There's no way this many athletes can keep quiet for their entire lives. I do always laugh whenever the federations say "they had valid passports." Well WHO makes the passports?

    I believe that the 2008 Chinese gymnasts will eventually be stripped of their medals as well. It may take 10 years like with Sydney, but it will happen.
    IF they did in fact cheat-and I think it likely they did-I hope so too.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

  17. #197

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,685
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7566
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Oleada, you're officially famous.
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post


    Anyway, I don't want this to get lost in the shuffle. It was posted originally by poster benedict_david (thanks!) who noticed a discrepancy with Han Yan's birthday.



    It is from the 2007/10/29 document.
    Don't forget us little people! And be sure to get a good agent!

    Well done oleada and of course the other posters like benedict_david who as you say noticed the discrepancies!

    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Good job by all posters responsible for bringing this important issue to the forefront. Of course it's not like skating needs another scandal....

    Now it will be interesting to see if other news agencies around the world pick up on the AP story. Also I thought it interesting that the ISU already was aware of the "discrepancies." Obviously they are reading FSU as well.
    Ot and I hate to say this-but maybe such a developing scandal would bring enough interest to 4CC's that they might consider expanding coverage. Maybe.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 02-15-2011 at 02:01 AM.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

  18. #198
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,883
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Many of the gymnasts on that 2008 Chinese team did NOT look 16. I know some tend to look younger by default, but still- it was looked into, then quickly swept under the rug. As some posters mentioned, I hope they do get busted, even if it's years after the fact.

    Kudos to the people who dug up this info- it looks as if the report originated from evidence in this thread- and I hope it brings more scrutiny to the Chinese sports feds. They've done it before, and they'll do it again if there aren't serious consequences. If there is proof beyond a doubt that those athletes competed underage (or over-age), I think the ISU needs to come down hard...impose a ban on participation in any events, take away events from them...and if the ban includes an Olympic Games, all the better. Also strip athletes of any medals they may have won while ineligible. Send the message to everyone, to the world that cheating is NOT ok and will NOT be tolerated under any circumstances. Not fair to other nations to have to deal with this.

  19. #199

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,623
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    15753
    I think the bottom line is that results must be stripped. If you don't strip medals and titles then there is no point. Federations will continue to cheat because the results may very well be worth the risk since they will stand.

    Of course, this is all dependent on guilt. I have no idea if they are but where there is smoke there is fire and China is one giant smoke stack lately.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  20. #200
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    57
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Based on Oleada's long history of anti-Chinese-skaters ranting on a variety boards, it's no surprise she's such a sensation on this board.

    Typical 'liberal' whitey woman.

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •