vCash

Did Button ever coach?

Reading about Rise has made me wonder. With the talk about a break in the line of skaters turning to coaching and passing along knowledge, Did Dick Button ever coach? I'm sure if he did, his girls would have had excellent layback positions, and stood in good stead.
    Also, what about Peggy?

vCash
    I doubt Dick ever coached as a career. After touring ice shows he went into TV commentating and producing.

If Dick was a coach, his students would all have the following characteristics:
    1. Very limited to no flailing arms movements.
    2. They really know how to step up into their axels.
    3. Good arch of the back and pointed toes.
    4. Good laybacks.
    5. A good sit in the sitspin and with straight back, of course.
    6. Flip done on a straight edge and lutz from an outside edge.
    7. All could do a killer scratch spin.

Peggy did not coach, nor did she need to to earn a living. She was a big star and in big demand back then and continued to be in demand for most of her professional career.

vCash
    Dick Button did coach for a while. I think that might be what he was doing when he fell and hit his head on the ice.

ETA: No, I'm wrong - he was just skating for himself when he went splat and ended up in the hospital/rehab center for months.
    http://braininjurygroup.health.officelive.com/fbis.aspx

I do think I remember something about his coaching or teaching. Maybe it was a seminar flyer that I read years ago.

No idea about Peggy, but I've never heard of her doing any coaching other than PR things.

Jo Jo Starbuck is an awesome coach, based on what my friends have told me about their kids' lessons. (NJ)
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 02-09-2011 at 12:26 AM.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    I do think I remember something about his coaching or teaching. Maybe it was a seminar flyer that I read years ago.
    Dick Button was married to Slavka Kahout, Janet Lynn's coach, at one time, but I think that's the closest he's ever come to coaching himself.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Dick used to do a double loop/double loop/ double loop. How many points would you get for that under cop. Also, anyone know what his two children, Emily and Edward, I believe, do?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Dick Button did coach for a while. I think that might be what he was doing when he fell and hit his head on the ice.

ETA: No, I'm wrong - he was just skating for himself when he went splat and ended up in the hospital/rehab center for months.
    He and Tenley Albright were going to demonstrate figures during the opening ceremony at the 2001 Nationals in Boston. He fell while practicing and injured his head, and she fell and broke her arm. The figures demonstration was cancelled.

vCash
    But in the Brain Injury Group interview, he says:

"What happened was that I must have tried a jump, and I fell. I've skated all my life and I've never fallen. All of a sudden this time, whammo, and it happened unexpectedly. When I fell, all I know is the blood was coming out of my ear. I had a concussion, and I lost the hearing in this ear," Button says.
    I guess he was practicing Figures and he got carried away and tried to jump. Or maybe, with the injury, Button really doesn't know what happened. However, Tenley Albright wasn't at the rink that day.

Mr. Debonair/Richard Dwyer was Albright's ill-fated rehearsal partner:
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

It was a number that almost didn't happen. After receiving a call From Mr. Dwyer inviting her to skate, Tenley, 75, broke her arm rehearsing with him. Not one to be a victim of circumstance, she was determined to skate -- and was marvelous. Let's just hope her husband doesn't watch the show when it's broadcast, because after being put in an arm cast, Tenley secretly packed her skates after he went to bed. In true glamor-girl form, her black cast perfectly accessorized her long black and white gown. Mr. Dwyer, in his trademark tuxedo and tails, wouldn't have it any other way.
    She's a trooper to go on with the show, huh?