Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

Skaters competing cold...coming into worlds

With Virtue and Moir, and YuNa Kim, both having skipped the season for reasons detailed elsewhere, I am curious about the success rate of skaters who have missed competition, with the World championships (or Olympic Games) as their first event of the year.

Prior to Worlds, most athletes will have competed up to 5 or 6 times before going to Tokyo.

Past skaters that I can think of from the top of my head include Underhill and Martini in 1984, Fusar Poli and Margaglio in 2006, and Delobel and Schoenfelder in 2010.

vCash
    What about S/Z heading into 2006 Olys? Did they get a chance to compete at all that season before he was hurt?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    What about S/Z heading into 2006 Olys? Did they get a chance to compete at all that season before he was hurt?
    No, they did not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Past skaters that I can think of from the top of my head include Underhill and Martini in 1984, Fusar Poli and Margaglio in 2006, and Delobel and Schoenfelder in 2010.

It's a different story for all these skaters .
    FP/M had been away for four long years ' and that's a long time in the dance world.I think all they had done before olympics was Italian nationals.

Delobel/Shoenfelder she'd had a bad injury and given birth In the end it was too much to ask

V/M should be in much better shape than these two couples ' same for Kim .Plus they have youth on their side

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I am curious about the success rate of skaters who have missed competition, with the World championships (or Olympic Games) as their first event of the year.
    Grishuk/Platov did only pro-am types of events in fall 1994, skipped 1995 Europeans, and won Worlds easily.

vCash
    Gordeeva/Grinkov went "cold turkey" into the 1989 Worlds in Paris. All of us fans at the Palais Omnisport-Bercy were eager to see their new routines because they had missed Euros, Russian Natls and other all events leading up to Worlds. Of course, they won easily. Piece of cake, especially since the team that benefited the most from G/G's absence earlier in the season, Selezneva/Makarov (who won NHK, Russian Nats & Euros in 88/98), did not "show" in Paris.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    I don't know if YuNa will be at 4CC but I know VM will be there. So they will have that under their belt before Worlds. I kinda feel that back in the day you could come into Worlds cold turkey and maybe get somewhat of a pass based on who you were. I'm guessing that might be harder to do now with the change in scoring.

Psychologically I thing having VM an YuNa at Worlds will make it more fun to watch. I'm thinking Alissa might do better if she can fly under the radar. I also feel that D/W and V/M push each other and they both end up doing really well when competing against each other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Grishuk/Platov did only pro-am types of events in fall 1994, skipped 1995 Europeans, and won Worlds easily.
    And they did the same in 1997. Just the Japan Open before Euros.