View Poll Results: What Tiara will Katherine Wear on her Wedding Day?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Strathmore Tiara

28 24.78%
  • The Rundell Tiara

4 3.54%
  • The Girls of Great Britain and Northern Ireland Tiara

24 21.24%
  • The Grand Duchess Vladmir Tiara

6 5.31%
  • The Fringe Tiara

8 7.08%
  • The County of Surrey Tiara

1 0.88%
  • The Scroll Tiara

18 15.93%
  • The Duchess of Teck Rose and Crescent Tiara

9 7.96%
  • The Queen Alexandra Russian Kokoshnik Tiara

5 4.42%
  • The Cambridge Lover's Knot Tiara

6 5.31%
  • The Duchess of Teck Circlet

1 0.88%
  • The Empress Marie Feodorovna Diamond and Sapphire Bandeau

3 2.65%
Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    Diana wore the Spencer family tiara on her wedding day. I believe it went to her brother on her death.

The talk is that William will be made Duke or Earl of something on his wedding day. Is there actually a formal ceremony for that at some point?
    It is my understanding that there is no such thing as a Royal Earl, just Royal Dukes. When a prince becomes king his brothers become Royal Dukes.

A woman who marries a regular Duke becomes Duchess upon marrying but I'm not sure that's the case with Royal Dukes. But the Queen will probably confer a title on Kate. Diana became Princess Diana of Wales, but since Charles is still Prince of Wales she Kate won't have that title.

I'm too American to view any of this as being appropriate in this day & age & I would resist any US money going to this nonsense. But if the English want their monarchs, they aren't hurting anyone, so be it.
    Last edited by taf2002; 02-13-2011 at 04:16 AM.

vCash
    Well, when Edward got married he became the Earl of Wessex, not the Duke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    That was apparently at his request - as he didn't want to put to much pressure on Sophia and allow her to be a smaller part of the Family. It would have usually been expected for him to become a royal Duke but the Queen apparently agreed with his request after seeing the mess Fergie made of being a royal Duchess I think it has worked well - Sophia has grown slowly more confident being in the public eye and they have also kept their children away from prying camera lenses - more kudos to them.

William - being the 2nd in line to the throne - will absolutely get a Royal Dukedom confered on him on the occassion of his marriage - and Kate will also have the title Duchess - with HRH in front of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    A woman who marries a regular Duke becomes Duchess upon marrying but I'm not sure that's the case with Royal Dukes. But the Queen will probably confer a title on Kate. Diana became Princess Diana of Wales, but since Charles is still Prince of Wales she Kate won't have that title.
    It works the same for Royal Dukes as well as just regular ones... the wife automatically assumes the female version of her husband's title(s). So Kate will become Princess of Wales should William be invested with that title when Charles becomes King, but until then, she'll just be HRH Princess William, Duchess of [insert duchy here]. It's rare that a title in conferred upon a female since titles usually pass through the male line.

I'm too American to view any of this as being appropriate in this day & age & I would resist any US money going to this nonsense.
    The US does the same type of thing with the President. Who do you think pays for the Inauguration? State dinners? Travels abroad? We, the taxpayers. So it's the same thing, but with a lot less jewelry.

Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    It was announced at the time of his marriage, that when Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, passes on, Prince Edward will inherit his title. And not to sound crude or anything, but it will be relatively soon, too. Prince Philip turns 90 this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    The US does the same type of thing with the President. Who do you think pays for the Inauguration? State dinners? Travels abroad? We, the taxpayers. So it's the same thing, but with a lot less jewelry.

Right, an inauguration is *just like* a coronation.
    The last few centuries never happened.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I started this thread in the intent of having fun and enjoying chatting w/others who are as excited about the upcoming Wedding. However, it's certainly gone in a different direction the last couple of pages.

I get some could care less and I do respect that, *BUT*!!

This thread is in Off Topic. Not PI. If you want to talk about the evils of Monarchy, and yes I do know it's not the greatest thing in the world, go to PI and start a thread in there, as that's where it belongs.

Please leave this one to those of us that do love the Royals, are looking forward to this Wedding and also adore the Jewelry that will be on display/wondering what will be on Kate's head. As it was intended to be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post
    I started this thread in the intent of having fun and enjoying chatting w/others who are as excited about the upcoming Wedding. However, it's certainly gone in a different direction the last couple of pages.

I get some could care less and I do respect that, *BUT*!!

This thread is in Off Topic. Not PI. If you want to talk about the evils of Monarchy, and yes I do know it's not the greatest thing in the world, go to PI and start a thread in there, as that's where it belongs.

Please leave this one to those of us that do love the Royals, are looking forward to this Wedding and also adore the Jewelry that will be on display/wondering what will be on Kate's head. As it was intended to be.
    Would you like everyone to PM their post to you so you can approve it before they post it? Thread drift is a natural thing around here, if case you weren't aware.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Thread drift happens on FSU. And it's not like it has gone totally off topic. Still talking about royalty here. My advice is to keep posting about what you like and ignore what you don't.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdycool View Post
    It was announced at the time of his marriage, that when Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, passes on, Prince Edward will inherit his title. And not to sound crude or anything, but it will be relatively soon, too. Prince Philip turns 90 this year.
    I believe he will inherit the title when both of his parents pass on. I think it is a hereditary title that would be passed to Charles first and then when Charles takes the throne he can make Edward Duke of Edinburgh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    That was apparently at his request - as he didn't want to put to much pressure on Sophia and allow her to be a smaller part of the Family. It would have usually been expected for him to become a royal Duke but the Queen apparently agreed with his request after seeing the mess Fergie made of being a royal Duchess I think it has worked well - Sophia has grown slowly more confident being in the public eye and they have also kept their children away from prying camera lenses - more kudos to them.
    In addition to that, that reliable source Wikipedia says that Edward asked to be Earl of Wessex because he was inspired by Colin Firth's character, Lord Wessex, in Shakespeare in Love. Otherwise, he would have been created Duke of Cambridge. Interesting!

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    But if the English want their monarchs, they aren't hurting anyone, so be it.
    We don't want them!
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    It isn't necessary to "love the Royals" in order to enjoy their jewelry, and to look forward to a cultural event.
    Besides, I remain hopeful that Cate and William will prove to be more down-to-earth than the old lady

"We don't want them!"

In my experience, we Yanks have a greater capacity for nostalgia than most Brits.
    Last edited by TygerTyger; 02-13-2011 at 08:57 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash

Or even those of us who just like looking at the jewelry.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerTyger View Post
    It isn't necessary to "love the Royals" in order to enjoy their jewelry, and to look forward to a cultural event.
    Besides, I remain hopeful that Cate and William will prove to be more down-to-earth than the old lady

"We don't want them!"

In my experience, we Yanks have a greater capacity for nostalgia than most Brits.
    We Yanks can afford nostalgia, we don't have to support it.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    I find the Queen very down to Earth. To me, going somewhere like Balmoral sounds like an ideal way to get away. Learned to drive an ambulance in the war, used to be quite the rider before age caught up with her, still very fond of horses, always dignified in public. Seems very reasonable to me. Just because she doesn't go getting weepy and ridiculous in public...

And while I still have my favorite (and if you think people don't give Presidents ridiculous gifts, go look at their libraries) in the Girls of Great Britain, it WOULD help to know what sort of dress Kate's wearing. (I have to say I hope it's not a mermaid silhouette. I hate those. They're going to look so dated in pictures 10-20 years from now, like poofy sleeves in the '80s.)

vCash
    I send the link to the blog to my sister and her vote is for the Strathmore but she said she'd have to see the dress first. She also likes the idea of a new tiara for Kate.

I'm watching the TLC show on the Queen right now and every time they show footage of her in a tiara, I can name it now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Parsley Sage View Post
    I'm watching the TLC show on the Queen right now and every time they show footage of her in a tiara, I can name it now.
    Be careful, soon you'll be able to name the necklaces & brooches, too. Not that there's anything wrong with that

vCash
    TLC just had a promo for Royal Wedding Week, coming in April!!

vCash
    Best Man and Maid of Honour announced

but details of what they'll wear won't be available until wedding day.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Thread drift happening at FSU? *GASP*!!! My Goodness...Thank you all so much to those who pointed that out to me. Since I've been a member for years now, I've never seen that before now.

I get it happens. I mean...No kidding around here. However, when that thread drift starts going in a direction of a topic that's a better fit for PI, I don't see why saying that is a bad thing.

I'm not surprised I got some snarky comments following that post of mine, as this is FSU. At least I tried.

Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast