Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Quadless
    vCash
    I have to say it's amazing how "concerned" some of you are about Johnny's future. He won't be able to afford his apartment long term. His apartment won't appreciate in value. He's going to get into trouble with his neighbors. He's now squandered the only money he's ever going to earn. Poor Johnny, however will he manage in the world?
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Well, not so long ago(while he was still competing) Johnny was saying something to the effect that there were times he had to choose between paying his phone bill or something else. And yet I learn in this thread from someone who knows the apartments he lived in, that the apartment rents were several thousand (as much as four) a month. This gives some indication the boy's strong point is not managing money and , perhaps, lives beyond his means. His fans know this and they are concerned. Of course, however concerned anyone of us is, we have no influence on the outcome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Well, not so long ago(while he was still competing) Johnny was saying something to the effect that there were times he had to choose between paying his phone bill or something else. And yet I learn in this thread from someone who knows the apartments he lived in, that the apartment rents were several thousand (as much as four) a month. This gives some indication the boy's strong point is not managing money and , perhaps, lives beyond his means. His fans know this and they are concerned. Of course, however concerned anyone of us is, we have no influence on the outcome.
    Don't forget Johnny had a roommate who we assume was helping with the rent, when his roommate moved out, Johnny moved to a smaller, less expensive apartment. I tend to think one of the reasons Johnny was also so strapped for money before is because he was helping to support his family and he paid for his brother's college tuition.

Whatever the reason, I just hope Johnny has an honest, trustworthy person managing his money and investing it wisely for a rainy day.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    He trained in Wayne, NJ. Where would you have had him live? Rents are very expensive in that area.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Johnny's tweet from earlier today:
    Just listened to the first edit of my short program music. Think, "Tragic Fairytale"
    So at least for now, he does seem to be pursuing a comeback. Is it hard to commute to Wayne and/or Hackensack? Or perhaps the Manhattan condo will not be his main residence and instead a landing pad for when he's in NYC?
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    he paid for his brother's college tuition.
    This particular fiction has always bothered me. I know someone who knows them - his brother never went to college for any length of time if at all. At most he took a course or two.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Johnny's tweet from earlier today:

So at least for now, he does seem to be pursuing a comeback. Is it hard to commute to Wayne and/or Hackensack? Or perhaps the Manhattan condo will not be his main residence and instead a landing pad for when he's in NYC?
    It's not undoable to drive from Manhattan to Hackensack every day, but I wouldn't want to do it. By the time I got to the rink I'd be so aggravated I'd have to spend an hour just zipping around the ice working off my aggravation. But that's me. I'm feisty that way and I have a low tolerance for sitting in traffic.

Getting to Hackensack wouldn't be that difficult. It's not so very far from the GW Bridge. Depending on the time of day, his drive from Lyndhurst to Wayne with that Route 3 bottleneck could have been just as aggravating as driving from Manhattan to Hackensack, and even taken just as long.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    There will be a TV tour of this place eventually, right? So much interest, it should be Pay-per-View.

vCash
    Getting to Hackensack wouldn't be that difficult. It's not so very far from the GW Bridge. Depending on the time of day, his drive from Lyndhurst to Wayne with that Route 3 bottleneck could have been just as aggravating as driving from Manhattan to Hackensack, and even taken just as long.
    Depending on the time of day and considering the fact that he's no where near the GWB, one would have to leave over an hour to get from his new place to The Ice House.

vCash
    I used to work right around the corner from where this building is - the neighborhood was such a dive back then. I'm guessing they knocked down the SRO hotel and some brownstones to build this.

Our windows faced 29th Street and we used to watch the Equalizer being filmed there - they often used the hotel for dingy setting.

It doesn't seem that there are any affordable areas of the city anymore - except for the very poor.

By the way, I used to walk back and forth to Sky Rink from here when it was still located in the office building at 33rd and 10th Avenue so Chelsea Piers is not that far if Johnny wants to use their ice. I'm sure they would love having someone of his stature training there on a regular basis.
    Last edited by harekrishna43; 02-08-2011 at 11:14 PM. Reason: additional comment

vCash
    harekrishna43 - Chelsea Piers is a little farther south and west now but in terms of a reasonable commute, you are right - it seems like the only option that makes sense. But who is the coach then? I think it's all smoke that he's blowing because his reality show is (as I have said before) built around a context of his skating life and there needs to be at least talk of a skating life even if there is actually none in the offing. More fiction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Depending on the time of day and considering the fact that he's no where near the GWB, one would have to leave over an hour to get from his new place to The Ice House.
    Wasn't there a skater who commuted from Long Island to Hackensack nearly a decade ago? (Wait, wait, don't tell me who! ) I suppose that the traffic was much less way back then, though.

vCash
    Yes, there was and she won a gold medal. I think the situation is remarkably different though.

Do you honestly think Johnny is that sincere about and devoted to training? Nah...

And does Johnny have a coach (or someone) who will drive him that far round trip everyday? Nah again...
    Last edited by Willowway; 02-08-2011 at 11:30 PM.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    Wasn't there a skater who commuted from Long Island to Hackensack nearly a decade ago? (Wait, wait, don't tell me who! ) I suppose that the traffic was much less way back then, though.
    You beat me to it!

Yes, it was different. Robin Wagner was a handmaiden of sorts..and we saw where that got her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    You beat me to it!

Yes, it was different. Robin Wagner was a handmaiden of sorts..and we saw where that got her.
    Rolling around on the floor of a SLC dressing room? Or do you mean 15 months later, when she didn't even rate a phone call from her OGM? Sic transit gloria!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    I have to say it's amazing how "concerned" some of you are about Johnny's future.
    Well, it's because Johnny is a lying liar who lies!

What did he lie about? I don't know. That's not important. I read it on the interwebz, so it must be true. And I want a 1.1 million dollar condo in NYC and I don't have one so it's not faaaaiiiiirrrr if Johnny Weir has it. He's not even my favorite skater.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Well, it's because Johnny is a lying liar who lies! What did he lie about? I don't know. That's not important. I read it on the interwebz, so it must be true.
    I read something different -- that Johnny's a TRUE liar, not a lying liar. A lying liar would be telling the truth, whereas a TRUE liar would truly be lying -- not lying about his lies. These are words that someone truly posted -- they probably believe them, but I have a feeling we'll never get to the truth (about whatever it is), and that's no lie.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    I read something different -- that Johnny's a TRUE liar, not a lying liar. A lying liar would be telling the truth, whereas a TRUE liar would truly be lying -- not lying about his lies. These are words that someone truly posted -- they probably believe them, but I have a feeling we'll never get to the truth (about whatever it is), and that's no lie.

vCash
    I don't know who has lied and who has told the truth and as someone just said, we'll probably never know. That said, I really believe when I step away from all of this and look at it with a minimum of emotion, that we are all being played because that's the showbiz/z-list game. Is Johnny serious about competing? He might have his moments where he'd like to come back but I don't think it's a sustained or sustainable desire. Is he editing music? Probably. Because it's part of the game - to play the public, give them what they want to hear, give the show some content (other than dry humping this or that) around one's real claim to fame, skating. Will he actually compete? Perhaps a little but will it be a sustained effort? No. There will be a roadblock 'out of his control' ; it could be anything but my money is on blaming the USFSA for something or other that hasn't happened yet. We'll hear about it - I'd really put money on that.

It's all a game and we're being played. Whatever it takes - truth, lies, exaggerations all in an inconsistent stew - it will all be used as needed as long as it helps Johnny's roadshow go on. Who's running it? No one and everyone. It's Tara, it's Johnny, it has a life of its own. Its 'truthiness' (thank you Stephen Colbert) changes from day to day or appointment to appointment. Since we all (me included) continue to discuss 'the continuing saga, the drama of being Johnny Weir' and since we 'stayed tuned for the latest episode' we have all been sucked in and it's workin' for him. Do I take him seriously any more? Not as a skater, not really. But I give him a lot of credit for making up this continuing saga called His Life and milking it (and us) for all it's worth. It's very 21st century and the saddest part of whole thing is how very much it fits today's popular culture idiom to the degree that his act is coarse, undignified and content-light. Not really his fault, not mine either but it's a pathetic commentary on our times.
    Last edited by Willowway; 02-09-2011 at 01:03 AM.

vCash
    double post - sorry

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast