Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if all the stylists get together to on awards nights drinking pitchers of margaritas and laughing at what they got their clients to wear. Or if they have a website where they post images from events with captions like, "you think that's bad, look what I got Johnny to wear last night!!"

Watching Fashion TV for five-six hours in a row illustrates your point.

I'll never forget the episode of Project Runway where Rami Kashou snarked, " I love women. Christian [Siriano] loves models." (Or the sentences might have been reversed.)
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Sometimes I wonder if all the stylists get together to on awards nights drinking pitchers of margaritas and laughing at what they got their clients to wear. Or if they have a website where they post images from events with captions like, "you think that's bad, look what I got Johnny to wear last night!!"

This reminds me of something I read about the Isaac Mizrahi show (at which Johnny wore the over-the-shoulder raccoon, sent to him by Mizrahi, I believe).

Another model in that show apparently was given a necklace to wear, made from stones that came from Mizrahi's driveway. She was gushing about how great it was....and I couldn't help thinking, well yeah, Mizrahi gave it her and so she could hardly say that she hated the necklace and wouldn't wear it. After all, Mizrahi sent it over! But really, stones from his driveway? Made me wonder what he was really thinking. (They'll wear anything I give them, won't they? How delicious this power is! Hahaha...)

Sorry, my cynicism about the entire fashion industry is showing...

vCash
    Originally posted by Frau Muller:
    Wasn't Johnny inspired by Michelle Kwan...who was coached by Frank Carroll...who was coached by Maribel Vinson-Owen (famous Cosmic Connection)?

And isn't Johnny a 'Showman'...just like (in the most positive way) "Bowman the Showman"...who was coached by Frank Carroll?
    If every skater who was inspired by Michelle Kwan were in the movie, RISE would be a two-week mini series, not a movie.

And Weir was never a showman. He was a quiet, introverted skater who barely interacted with the audience during most of his competitive career. Bowman was a true showman, an extrovert who loved playing to the audience.

vCash

His or the banks?

I would be interested to know how much of this $1.1 Million is Johnny's money and how much is the banks. If so, how many years can Johnny keeping making mortgage payments of $20,000/mth? Sometimes people with a burst of new fame think it will last forever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsUpDoc View Post
    I would be interested to know how much of this $1.1 Million is Johnny's money and how much is the banks. If so, how many years can Johnny keeping making mortgage payments of $20,000/mth? Sometimes people with a burst of new fame think it will last forever.
    I think you learned math in different school than I did.

If JW put down 20%, which is usual these days, then he financed $880,000.00.
    If he took a 30-year mortgage that's $29,000.00 and change per year or $2,400.00 and change per month plus interest.

It's no $20,000.00 per month.

vCash
    Exactly emason. Then add maintenance and taxes (tax deductible) and even with that it's somewhere under/around $4,000. per month.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    From earlier in the thread - another take on the numbers -

Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2011/0...rk_madison.php

We know that $1.1 million was paid for the condo. We're not sure if he paid cash or he has a 30 year mortgage, and we don't know how much of a down payment was made. Perusing the real estate listings, it sounds like he could have gotten a lot more for his money potentially in another Manhattan neighborhood and that he may be paying top dollar for his new abode. Less than 900 square feet!

Hypothetically, if he put down 20%, he would be left with an $880,000 mortgage @ around 5% or more as of today. With a mortgage of around $4700-$5000 + NYC tax rate for 2010-2011 of 13.241% or another $1225 per month + condo fees similarly around $1225 per month, Johnny is looking at between $7000 and $7500 per month.

I just hope that he can foresee paying more than $7000 per month for the next 30 years. That is, unless he was able to buy the unit for cash. He's still looking at paying at least $2500 per month.

vCash
    $20,000 a month in expenses would have been a better comment, so I am a bit off, but look at this:

I don't think Johnny would have 20% down, but assuming he did, from the TDWaterhouse Mortgage site calculator on $880K: Fixed rate locked in for 10 years, Amortization in 20 years (30 years is a bit high, variable rate would be very risky in these turbulent times, but is currently lower). Is $6,592.01 monthly. Add:

Property Tax $700/mth in Manhattan.

Condo Fee $1,000/mth

Utilities $200/mth

Car payment $800/mth

Car/Condo Insurance $300/mth

Medical $500/mth

You are already over $10,000 and have not even factored in Johnny's Prada Bag and Mascara expenses. Even $10,000 is a lot to come up with every single month, after taxes, for 20 years. Which was my intended point.

If Johnny paid cash for the Condo, then it is likely a good investment that will protect his hard earned income, from being spent on more useless designer fluff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsUpDoc View Post
    $20,000 a month in expenses would have been a better comment, so I am a bit off, but look at this:

I don't think Johnny would have 20% down.........

Property Tax $700/mth in Manhattan.

Condo Fee $1,000/mth......
    Johnny would have a helluva time buying if he didn't put down at least 20%. Banks are starting to require 22-25% before they will give you a mortgage these days.

As for the property tax, if a condo functions the same way as a co-op (and I'm not sure about that) then the property tax is included in the monthly condo fee.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    As for the property tax, if a condo functions the same way as a co-op (and I'm not sure about that) then the property tax is included in the monthly condo fee.
    According to the listing posted earlier in the thread, the common fees are $812 per month, and taxes are $48 per month.

http://streeteasy.com/nyc/sale/57520...south-new-york

vCash
    According to the listing posted earlier in the thread, the common fees are $812 per month, and taxes are $48 per month.

http://streeteasy.com/nyc/sale/57520...south-new-york
    I may be wrong (God knows I am a lot these days) but I am still thinking that means that of the $812, $48 goes to property taxes per month.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    If he can't afford to hold onto it in the long-term then he'll just have to MC Hammer his way out of it. And then for the rest of his life he'll be able to hold his head high and say "I once owned a Carrie Bradshaw apartment..."

Rosebud.

Anyway, 2012 will be here before you know it. Soon all our debts will be forgiven. God bless us, everyone.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I don't know how some of you are arriving at your figures but if Johnny borrowed $880,000
    for 30 years at what is a typical rate these days, 4.625 %, his monthly mortage payments alone would be $4,524.34 per month.

vCash
    Slightly off topic, but any guesses how much Johnny made for walking the runways this week at fashion week? He modeled in 5 shows and is debuting the Johnny Weir for Adrienne Landau collection tonight at the Landau show.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    In Washington State, the property taxes for condos are the responsibility of the owner and are added to the mortgage payment, which the mortgage owner submits to the tax authorities.

$48/month in taxes suggests a tax liability that is the building's responsibility, if it is a tax at all. If a condo takes out a mortgage or home equity loan for improvements, then the interest might be passed onto the condo owners.

Many co-ops in NYC have underlying mortgages, and part of the monthly carrying fee is mortgage interest and deductible by the shareholders in the co-op.

Re the in this thread, it sounds like there's some schadenfreude-in-advance going on, because if he can handle the finances, there will be no chance later.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash

wait a minute

I've never posted here before, but... I don't understand how anyone here knows anything about Johnny Weir's finances. We know the guy bought a condo for $1.1 million. We know he's been working 24/7 lately on projects that are potentially very lucrative, including the aforementioned modeling gigs just this week alone, along with photo books, his autobiography, his single, TV appearances, skating shows, etc. He has a line of furs coming out, and apparently a line of jewelry.

Can he afford the condo? I have no idea. But I don't think it's fair to speculate that he can't. Did anyone here speculate when Tara Lipinski built a large home on the coast? What about Evan? Doesn't he have a home or two, and a fancy car? Didn't Lambiel just buy a house? I'm a fan of Johnny's but not one of those who thinks he's perfect. Still, the level of criticism directed at him here is pretty unbelievable. It seems everything he does is up for ridicule or contempt.

vCash
    Are you suggesting this thread should be closed and everybody should go mind their own business?

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSatterwhite View Post
    Are you suggesting this thread should be closed and everybody should go mind their own business?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Aw, you had me right up until the part where you mentioned Tara and Evan.

If you think Johnny gets snark thrown his way here that other skaters don't, you're living in la-la coo-coo land of rainbows and unicorns.

not that you care, but I still to this day get a whenever I think of that french pastry cart parked in the hall outside of Tara's bedroom in that seaside house.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    If you think Johnny gets snark thrown his way here that other skaters don't, you're living in la-la coo-coo land of rainbows and unicorns.
    Or maybe I just haven't read a lot of threads here. But I did read the one about Johnny's book, in which it seemed like a lot of people jumped to conclusions based on the preface. The preface was nothing like the rest of the book. And then this thread... Well, opinions about Johnny are always strong, of of course. You can say he's a famewhore (and I don't see how he's doing it more than other skaters, except he gets the invitations and the press), or you can say he's trying a lot of different things--something I wish I had the guts to do. This blog reminded me of him, but of course we prefer our Olympic athletes to be single-minded, and Johnny just isn't. http://studio360.wordpress.com/2011/...ativity-works/

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast