Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

vCash
    OK, watched a bit of the video. Does he design for men, or where the men just supposed to be eye candy to go along with the designs for women?
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Sigh. Hate to see him tarted up so. He is so adorable in his natural state! Well, glad he is having fun AND making money. He's probably having the time of his life, with all the attention, money and projects rolling in. Not too shabby!

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I like the beef jerky loin cloth.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    In this case, Johnny has said before that he doesn't worry about what people think, but the last sentence "You let everyone else worry about that for you," must have come from editors and/ or promotions staff.
    "Must" have come? For a product like Johnny's book, there is almost no chance at all that even if the phrase was suggested by someone else, it wouldn't have been put there without his or her camp's approval.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nylynnr View Post
    Another long and thoughtful thread on JW, although maybe (?) some overanalyze his motivations and underestimate two things: 1. Desire to have fun. 2. Need to make a living.
    Yes, nylynnr, those aspects of what motivates Johnny (and most people) are quite true and have been pointed out before to those who seem overly concerned for and/ or disgusted with Johnny.

Thanks for the links, HisWeirness. Johnny "tarted up" and having fun making a living.

vCash
    Yes, nylynnr, those aspects of what motivates Johnny (and most people) are quite true and have been pointed out before to those who seem overly concerned for and/ or disgusted with Johnny.
    As opposed to your own analysis of his psyche and motivations, which is obviously far more rigorous and reliable than anyone else's
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    There are different kinds of modeling gigs ... and Johnny has already done some runway shows and editorial fashion spreads. I think the camera loves him, as do designers and photographers, apparently. Maybe there are some FSUers who know more about the modeling industry and can offer input, but I think its obviously true that most runway models (male and female) are quite tall. But there are those exceptional exceptions ... such as Kate Moss, and apparently Johnny too, where height is trumped by other physical qualities ... and perhaps something ethereal that they seem to project.
    Yes, but Kate Moss is 5'7". Short for a model but not short for a woman. Johnny is short for a man, full-stop. He gets hired for modeling gigs not because of his modeling ability, but because he's Johnny Weir. He'll only be able to keep that up if he's famous.

Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Maybe he means it's important to him to choose which groups, styles, ideas, etc., to affiliate himself with rather than being forced into a particular group because of who his parents or his neighbors are or what sex he is. Ultimately he'll end up part of a group and not completely unique, but at least he'll have chosen the group.
    Yes, that's is what seems to be happening. Which is totally fine, but it's easy to confuse different facets of individuality.

vCash
    I hope that Johnny is happy doing this. That clip of him walking in the show is...WOW!

USFS must invite Johnny to appear on the Red Carpet event preceding the premiere of RISE, next week. We want Johnny! We want Johnny!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    I love this photo. So many contradictions within one look. And Johnny is glowing and projecting. I'm glad he's involved with fashion week in whatever capacity he can be at this time. It clearly agrees with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Johnny will always be "Look at me! Look at me! Aren't I different! See how hard I try at being different! Aren't you shocked? Please tell me you're shocked!" It amazes me how many fall for this act.
    Something someone told me once comes to mind as I read this - "Intelligence is best perceived when contained. Intelligence is best received when not given."

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Something someone told me once comes to mind as I read this - "Intelligence is best perceived when contained. Intelligence is best received when not given."
    Joe Gordon ?
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Johnny kept them on, admitted that the fact that the other hated the streamers made him keep them all the more, and then returned to their place to shove the fact that he didn't take them off down their throats.
    Yep. The fact that he responds shows that it does matter.

Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    It's on my wish list--do you recommend it? I am interested even if it's just skating gossip. Well, especially if it's skating gossip.
    Did you read the excerpts in the book thread? It's like that, only more of it. I read it because it's a skater book, but it's one of those books where I said, "Well, at least I didn't pay full price for it."

I will never understand fashion. Why would anyone wear that? WHERE would anyone wear that? And if no one is going to wear it, what's the point? And please don't tell me that's art.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I will never understand fashion. Why would anyone wear that? WHERE would anyone wear that? And if no one is going to wear it, what's the point? And please don't tell me that's art.
    I would wear it if I was stranded on a Caribbean Island, although I would be more tan and probably leave the accessories in the treasure chest.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Did you read the excerpts in the book thread? It's like that, only more of it. I read it because it's a skater book, but it's one of those books where I said, "Well, at least I didn't pay full price for it."
    I've read the excerpts on amazon, didn't sound too bad. How did you get a deal on it? Although I was about to pay full price to support the book industry as your post in the book thread inspired me.
    I guess it's about the show, the drama, the look and not at all intended for wear. Perhaps someone will like the material and design something that can be translated into actual clothes. But yeah, it's weird and I don't see the point of this particular "outfit". But then it's taken outside of the context of the show.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I've read the excerpts on amazon, didn't sound too bad. How did you get a deal on it? Although I was about to pay full price to support the book industry as your post in the book thread inspired me.
    There are several excerpts in the book thread, I think.

But anyway, I got a Nookbook version that was on sale that week and I used a Christmas gift card.

It's not a bad book and parts of it are quite entertaining, but....Johnny does not come across particularly well . Again, the book thread is pretty much right on.

But Johnny's a skater, and I like to support skaters when I can. I don't have any hangups about helping him buy his condo . More power to him.

But then it's taken outside of the context of the show.
    True; could be part of some theme.

But Johnny looks much better in the face of fashion photo.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    It's like edible undies, except it's a loin cloth and it's not made out of fruit roll-ups.

Next you'll tell us that you'd NEVER wear edible undies.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash

I'd wear that for costume parties. But more pressing issue is, why does Weir look like starved Dita Von Teese?

vCash
    It's like a cross between Gilligan and Liberace...

vCash
    I guess Johnny and Tim Gunn won't be having dinner together real soon. I love Tim...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0...title=Tim_Gunn

vCash
    What happened to Johnny's body? Legs still look athletic, but the rest not so much, even beginning to show a small paunch.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast