Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Not that I'm a fan of this, but this happens all the time. The very famous glass artist Dale Chihuly has been blind in one eye since the early 1970s, and therefore cannot actually blow glass. But he designs the pieces and hires the best glassblowers in the world to make them for him, and his name goes on it.
    If you look at costume sketches for theater, most of them are just that: stylized sketches with swatches often chosen by the designer, but sometimes by the costumers and fabric shoppers, who are given instructions like the weight, color, and fabric, but who have leeway to select among "red, heavyweight silk". The people who make the costumes and supervise the shops add many of the details including the line and fittings, sometimes based on experience with that designer, often based on historical research and standard references volumes, and they look quite different from the designs.
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 02-10-2011 at 08:13 PM.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I used to work for a fashion retailer, and I sew very well (wedding gowns, skating dresses, drapes), so I tend to run off about this topic. I also worked for a tailoring shop through high school, so I picked up a lot of education from being in that environment. BTW, they were also furriers - don't leave your fur coats in mothballs. Have them cleaned, glazed and stored if you really care about preserving them. I wear fake fur, but I will say that well-kept real furs are a thing of beauty, more than on the original animal in many cases, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    I am by no means a 'designer' but years ago when I was sewing alot, I decided I needed more control over what I was making for myself. So I took a few pattern-making courses and a draping course. What fun! Exacting, lots of work and it must be the latent engineer in me but taking a basic pattern and "making" those different sleeves, variation on the collar, etc. is exciting and fun to do. You get exactly (after a bit of trial and error) what you want and it's very satisfying (after the swearing, screaming and hair-tearing during the trial and error part!). I recommend it to anyone who loves to create for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Where did you take such classes? The only thing I can find around here is how to make a pillowcase (but not one with nice french seams- basically just straightline sewing) or pajama pants (but not well fitted oens that I could translate the skills to actual pants).

I love sewing, but my clothes have the same problem as RTW, because I don't really know how to alter!
    In Manhattan, Fashion Institute of Technology is the most obvious place, but The New School is a close second. It surprises me that Johnny has not taken any classes yet. Even just basic garment construction skills would have an impact. Given Vera Wang's involvement with figure skating, I would have thought she might have given him this guidance. Maybe he has taken courses and just doesn't want to admit it, but that seems out of character given his online presence and TV show. I think it would be great for his TV show, inspiring his fashion-fans to do the same.

Community colleges, community centers (JCC, YMCA), and high school extension classes offer classes in design and clothing construction/sewing. I actually learned to use my machine in high school and they had an evening program for people who weren't in school, but wanted to learn. After college, I took a high school extension course in the evenings on "fitting patterns" which was great, I just never got around to pattern-making or actual tailoring. Our local Joann's in NJ ran several courses, but they were really trying to sell sergers machines and supplies moreso than pattern fitting/tailoring skills. (Think about it: if you can make your own patterns, you don't need to pay $10 for them at Joann's.) Look at technical schools if you want a certificate or degree, but if you just want the knowledge and skills, look at the "Continuing Education" or "Adult Education" sections of college/universities. Online, you have to seek out their departments, because those courses aren't always listed as part of the regular mainstream degree program course schedules. Usually, the department webpage has a link to a pdf of their offerings. If you don't see what you want, ask - sometimes those departments have instructors to call, but they won't add a course to the schedule unless there's interest from the community.

I know of one "Cultural Center" that offers art classes in painting, drawing, sculpture and stained glass. Once or twice a year, they offer textile courses as they call them.

The Singer resource books are excellent and most libraries carry them. They might be out of print now, but I have a half-dozen that I've purchased over the years that I refuse to part with. The illustrations are great.

Many small fabric and sewing stores seem to be offering those type of classes these days. One such store offers pattern-making, fitting, and tailoring, but their big draw is a course that teaches the student how to get the most out of THEIR OWN sewing machines. You bring it in the shop and they teach you how to use and adjust it, even how to keep it running well through proper maintenance. That's great for someone who owns a machine but isn't really sure about what they can/cannot do with it. I have two friends who loved that course - they made something really simple, like a tote bag.

Sorry, I'm thread-jacking. It's a topic near and dear to my heart.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 02-10-2011 at 07:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    It's not the most exciting, but the park is nice in itself and it's a nice central location (about as central as you can get without hitting the less desirable midtown areas). It's walking distance of Union Square and the Village/SoHo are a fast subway ride away. Upper Manhattan wouldn't be a major trek either. Grammercy Park is also close by and a very nice area to walk around even if you can't actually get in the park.

If I lived there I'd be getting Shake Shack burgers and groceries at Eataly all the time. Congrats to Johnny, I'm sure he'll love it.
    It's also close to FIT so maybe Johnny is taking some classes after all.

p.s The SS in MS has been "discovered" so even in the worst of weather during off hours, there's a line around the block. Plus they've opened up several others around town.

vCash
    Johnny is Johnny. He loves to shock and outrage. You never know when he's being serious, and frankly when he's telling the truth. But he doesn't pretend to be someone he's not. I respect that a lot more then cultivating a public image that has nothing to do with who the person really is.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Right and my point was that no artist (who has earned that 'title') out-sources all or most of technical aspects of their art without knowing that territory very well themselves. The words 'amateur' and 'dabbler' apply to those who bring no technical knowledge, actual artistic expertise and artistic discipline to the table. Where Johnny fits, I won't say - time will tell.
    i understand, and agree! But . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post

Sounds like this designer is just using Johnny's name for a little extra publicity - no different than most other celebrity fashion lines. Maybe what he should aspire to is a fragrance - there is HUGE money in celebrity-branded scents.
    . . . this proves that you don't have to have the technical knowledge at all, if you're just really good at branding yourself. There are plenty of celebs who design things with no background experience and do just fine.

Damien Hirst didn't know how to work with formaldehyde or dead animals to do what he did (or how to get diamonds on a skull, for that matter). But he outsourced his idea to someone else.

But as you say, time will tell where Johnny fits in there.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Shae Lynn View Post
    But he doesn't pretend to be someone he's not. I respect that a lot more then cultivating a public image that has nothing to do with who the person really is.
    Are you sure? Because people here who have met him often say how down to earth and kind and generous he is, and yet the public persona that he's been putting out there is quite different.

He seems to spend a lot of time giving himself labels and referring to what other people say about him, but what's the real person? He also spends a great deal of time talking about brands and celebrities, which is classic "by association" image making - it's possible that his personality and values perfectly match those of Chanel, Lady Gaga, Sarah Jessica Parker, Faberge and Louis Vuitton, or it could very likely be that those are the brands he aspires to, not who he is.

In the end, is he really original and outrageous or whatever, or does he just want people to think he is?

vCash
    A luxury condo demands a luxurious bed. Maybe Johnny would like this one?

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/y...-bed-for-sale/

Wealthy fans, be ready to contribute!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Are you sure? Because people here who have met him often say how down to earth and kind and generous he is, and yet the public persona that he's been putting out there is quite different.

He seems to spend a lot of time giving himself labels and referring to what other people say about him, but what's the real person? He also spends a great deal of time talking about brands and celebrities, which is classic "by association" image making - it's possible that his personality and values perfectly match those of Chanel, Lady Gaga, Sarah Jessica Parker, Faberge and Louis Vuitton, or it could very likely be that those are the brands he aspires to, not who he is.
    Which is ironic, since he's also said he doesn't want to be labeled himself. But he is clearly into some labels.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    If PETA starts hounding Johnny I'll happily send them (another) nasty letter. Probably in one of their own postage-paid envelopes (sadly the USPS got wise to taping those to boxes of scrap metal, though.) Every time PETA does something obnoxious I go out and buy an animal byproduct that I don't actually need out of sheer spite. Maybe I'll go buy a fur-trimmed coat from Julio Julio at the next ballroom comp--they do lots of fundraisers for the ASPCA, you know, selling fur. (Hm, you know, I could see Johnny in their jeans and menswear...)

I'm curious if Johnny (and/or whoever he's working with on designs) is going to take cut and shape from Russian traditional costume, besides pulling color from Russian decorative arts...that could be interesting.

I can barely follow a sewing pattern. So no comment on the difficulty of actual design.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    A luxury condo demands a luxurious bed. Maybe Johnny would like this one?

http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/y...-bed-for-sale/

Wealthy fans, be ready to contribute!
    With that price the bed better comes with a new hot guy for every day of the year for at least 20 years .

vCash
    That bed would probably almost fill up Johnny's bedroom.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    That bed would probably almost fill up Johnny's bedroom.
    It would probably fill his entire apartment.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I think FSU fans have figured it out:

Robin Wagner is going to train Johnny! Oh the threads we'll have between now and Sochi!

vCash
    Are you joking? I thought Wagner coached out of Hackensack, NJ. Seems silly to move to Manhattan if you're training across the Hudson. Maybe she's at Chelsea Piers as well?

podcast mistress
    vCash
    Maybe Tara can coach him. She's a coach.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I agree with you. He is a nice looking guy. But unfortunately (IMHO at least) he doesn't appear too often in proper makeup and decent hair styling. If he looked more like the models in the ads, when he shows up for events and other public gigs, he might be a more visible candidate for modelling gigs.
    Also unfortunately, he's not tall enough to do actual modeling gigs aside from being hired for his name. I mean, if the women are typically 5'9", Johnny isn't going to get away without being at least 6'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    If PETA starts hounding Johnny I'll happily send them (another) nasty letter. Probably in one of their own postage-paid envelopes (sadly the USPS got wise to taping those to boxes of scrap metal, though.) Every time PETA does something obnoxious I go out and buy an animal byproduct that I don't actually need out of sheer spite. Maybe I'll go buy a fur-trimmed coat from Julio Julio at the next ballroom comp--they do lots of fundraisers for the ASPCA, you know, selling fur. (Hm, you know, I could see Johnny in their jeans and menswear...)
    Thoughtful! and very mature.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Perky Shae Lynn View Post
    Johnny is Johnny. He loves to shock and outrage. You never know when he's being serious, and frankly when he's telling the truth. But he doesn't pretend to be someone he's not. I respect that a lot more then cultivating a public image that has nothing to do with who the person really is.
    Unless you are actually in Johnny's inner circle, there is no way that you can know if he is being true to himself, because in order to know that, you would have to know him, not know of him, not met him a couple of times in a fan setting but actually be a close friend.

Ant

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    I just think that it is a shame that he is not developing as an artist. That he is marketing himself to the very bottom of the gene pool. He had so much promise. It is sad to me to see him settle for mediocrity. I don't care if he makes billions. I'm just sad that he does nothing of interest to me anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    ... imo Johnny had great success in his career-he was a National Champ, and he went to the Olympics twice. Most athletes don't get even out of their sectionals, or even past club competition. I too wish he had done more, but if it wasn't in the cards for him so be it.
    >This<
    Yep, 3-time National Champ, World Bronze Medalist, 2-time Olympian (placed second in the sp at 2006 Olympics) -- Nothing to sneer at, and many skaters would give anything for the chance just to go to the Olympics.

mmscfdcsu --Johnny's talent does make many fans feel he should have/ could have accomplished more, but that's life. And for Johnny, I think, and for his many fans, there's no reason to feel sad about what he accomplished, or didn't accomplish. He made mistakes, yes, (which he admits), but who doesn't? In any case, Johnny owns his mistakes and his successes... and he's moving forward with his life ... having fun and making and spending money. "Wow, how dare he -- why isn't he off in a corner feeling sad about his lack of accomplishments." Ah, well... what one person considers a mediocrity, might just be another's blessing and saving grace.
    And, anyhoo, mmscfdcsu, how would you know whether or not Johnny is developing as an artist? Are you not developing as an artist?

I don't know who has lied and who has told the truth … I really believe when I step away from all of this and look at it with a minimum of emotion, that we are all being played because that's the showbiz/z-list game. ... it's part of the game - to play the public, give them what they want to hear, give the show some content (other than dry humping this or that) around one's real claim to fame, skating. Will he actually compete? Perhaps a little but will it be a sustained effort? No. There will be a roadblock 'out of his control' ; it could be anything but my money is on blaming the USFSA for something or other that hasn't happened yet. ... Since we all (me included) continue to discuss 'the continuing saga, the drama of being Johnny Weir' … we have all been sucked in and it's workin' for him. Do I take him seriously any more? Not as a skater, not really. But I give him a lot of credit for making up this continuing saga called His Life and milking it (and us) for all it's worth. ...
    Hmmmm ... okay. You shure know a lot about it. Or, I guess maybe your emotionless rationalizations say more about your view of the world than anything about Johnny Weir. Quite interesting the chatter here, and the over-the-top concern. I like Johnny a great deal, but I would be foolish to think I know him all that well, or that anything I think or say about him matters that much. I love his skating, and what I do know of him and about him from others who have met him on more than one occasion, makes me feel he is actually a real human being, a young person still evolving on his journey through life -- a very gifted human being who may not have it all together or all figured out, but he has a good idea of himself, who he is, what he likes and doesn't like, and above all, he isn't afraid to LIVE OUT LOUD. That attracts enormous interest and jealousy and concern (feigned or otherwise), because how dare he be so nonconformist and actually do and say what he feels like doing and saying. And, ya know what, everybody's got to have a gig -- that's just how our monetary-based society is set up. You work for a living, I suppose, unless you are independently wealthy. Would that it were a different world, and we could all just create beauty, imagine and make happen cool useful technology without the weight of money, the heavy cost weighing us down so the profiteers and power brokers can stay in control of the global universe. Would that we could live in peace, live and let live.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I find his supporters annoying in their "Poor victim Johnny!" mode, but that isn't HIS fault.
    ... But he has a history of bewailing how little he has, how no one supports him, and on the other hand putting his very expensive tastes front and center. Frankly he's rather tacky on the subject of money. It's just another eye-rolling moment when this came out. Same as when I look at what some idiot actors and athletes buy with their money.
    Money is an issue, isn't it. Go to www.zeitgeist.com – a very profound take about money, its lack of true value, but its weighty importance in our society – very educational films there if you have an open mind – click on the center film first.
    On the issue of Johnny's supporters "annoying in their 'Poor victim Johnny!' mode," I see more of the people so concerned for Johnny and hating what they think he's become doing all the actual b**chin'/ bewailing about his so-called "victimhood." To say the judges shafted him at Olympics by keeping him in 6th place, does not make Johnny a victim. Why? Because he gave it his all -- he did the best he could do in that moment, in that time and place. Watch his Olympic performances, and his final reaction on his knees on the ice. Watch his Heartbroken exhibition, and if you don't feel anything, or can't see that this boy/ man/ diva/ skater/ athlete/ artist put his heart and soul into his skating, then truly that is the sad thing.

As far as his history of "bewailing" (Is that the word that always comes to mind when you think of Johnny?) -- yeah he has talked about growing up with modest means, but also that he didn't want for anything, and that his parents did everything in their power to nurture and support his gifts as an equestrian and a figure skater. Wow, not everyone is that lucky in life. Johnny admits his shortcomings, his blessings, his rebellions, his desires, and he probably, believe it or not, holds some things back from public scrutiny. This brouhaha about money, puhleeze... do give us links to all his bewailing. I seem to recall him talking in an interview about his limited income when COI folded (that tour was a lucrative source of income for skaters during the off-season). Also, it was Johnny's fans who decided to contribute money to a fund to help with his training. It matters not what anyone thinks or chooses to interpret about that. Those donations were gifts of unconditional love, thanks, and encouragement.

Johnny is certainly entitled to buy a home for himself. What I think we are seeing is the pent up emotion of those folks (and I'm included a bit) who have listened him whine and complain for years... years, about everything including how poorly he has been supported by other people financially. His complaining has been public, ... those who are sick of it have a temporary focus, his new apartment. It will quiet down; this is not a long-term issue.

...someone is worried about privacy for a guy who discussed the length of his penis on national radio?
    All that "whining and complaining," it's a wonder he has anytime left to go shopping. Oh, well... I think "how poorly he has been supported by other people financially," are not Johnny's words, but are entirely your own words, your own view, perhaps your own reality. Things "quieting down" on this apt issue, maybe ... until the next delectable, enticeable, irresistible, issue arises to focus on with disgust or delight, or both.

LOL, re Johnny's discussion with Howard Stern on "penis length." Truly this falls into the category of TMI. But, ha ha, Johnny was responding to Howard Stern after all. Kinda brave, or lunatic (take your pick) to go on that show. But if you agree with those who think Johnny is "marketing himself to the very bottom of the gene pool" ... then you probably didn't bother listening to the broadcast, but just happened to find out on FSU that he dared to discuss that body part. Your references to ..."dry humping" ... and "penis length"... seem like either a fixation, or a bewailing of Johnny having all the fun ...

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash

In the end, is he really original and outrageous or whatever, or does he just want people to think he is?
    I too have noticed that his public media persona is vastly different from the stories I've heard about his fans.

Maybe he's really that conniving. Maybe he's really that confused. Or maybe he's just complicated like most everybody else on this earth.

Granted, I still thought reading his book excerpt was a waste of 10 minutes of my life I'd like to get back, but I don't begrudge him the ability to make his own decisions.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast