Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BYTCH View Post
    Any chance an SD (Sugar Daddy) bought it for him?
    Maybe "Alex" from the blue-blooded, well-heeled New England family (as per Johnny's book) is pitching in?
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 02-07-2011 at 09:54 PM.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post

Anything more than 1200 per month is way too much for me ... but I'm poor .
    I nearly drowned my laptop in spittle when my sister told me her bf was paying $2400/month for a loft in SOMA (SanFran).....where he lives by himself! It's not even big enough for my sister to move in, and she can get by on a tiny bedroom in a 9-person house.

I mean, he does get paid a lot of money but he's quitting his engineering job to do independent iPhone dev so one hopes he'll learn to live below his means very very quickly. I mean, my bf also does independent iPhone dev and hasn't had income for 6 months, but he lived waaaaaay below his means on an engineer's salary and had a good amount saved up before taking the plunge.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    That's San Francisco for ya.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Um, 1.1 mil is sorta chump change for Manhattan real-estate, particularly the area in which Weir bought. I don't think Weir is living an extravagant lifestyle just because he bought this place. In fact, I'd probably say he's investing wisely.

vCash
    His book must be selling well.

vCash
    Um, 1.1 mil is sorta chump change for Manhattan real-estate, particularly the area in which Weir bought.
    $1.1 m is not chump change for an under 900 square foot, one-bedroom apartment, small kitchen (no room for a real table just a bar) in a perfectly nice but not a remarkably upscale area (this ain't 83rd and Madison, nor is it Central Park West). There is nothing cheap AND decent in Manhattan and this is definitely a nice building but it is not in spitting distance of Madison Square Park (almost 4 blocks away) nor is it the fun part of Chelsea proper - it's the sorta midway point (Park Ave. South) that's neither Chelsea nor Kips Bay. I think he paid a nice piece of change for what he actually got; hopefully it will be a good investment in the long run.
    Last edited by Willowway; 02-08-2011 at 01:26 AM.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    It's only a good investment if two things happen: it goes up in value enough to cover his initial down payment and ongoing payments, or he pays it off quickly enough that the interest charges (and the condo fees) don't pile up and erase any potential for profit.

vCash
    Nothing is going up that fast in most real estate markets these days so any investment, if one is looking for appreciation, is a longer-term investment - there are no quick flips any longer (that was 10 years ago).
    Last edited by Willowway; 02-07-2011 at 10:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by merrywidow View Post
    My guess as to where the money came from would be his judging stint on "Skating with the Stars". If contestants on "Dancing with the Stars" make $100k for one episode, then I'd guess that those judges make as much or more. Then there are the proceeds from his book's sales. He has a lot of irons in the fire.
    Sorry, your figures are way, way off.

Kate Gosselin reportedly made about that, but she a big name on the biggest show of the year (regular beating the weak "Idol" season).

I suspect Johnny got a couple thousand per episode of "SWTS" (that's a generous number), wardrobe, and accommodations. "SWTS" was a winter fill-in (short season, low viewership due to lack of general interest, lack of star power, and the holidays).

I'm sure he got a decent advance on his book, and I'm sure he gets paid pretty well to do shows. Remember, his travel is usually comped so his expenses (barring shopping) are pretty low.

A $7,000-8,000 mortgage is definitely not underheard of here in L.A. either, though that's usually a 2BR/2BA condo, not just 1BR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliona22 View Post
    He's actually getting a pretty good deal for a condo in that neighborhood.
    I was gonna say the same thing. Real estate in that area is NOT cheap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    Sorry, your figures are way, way off.

Kate Gosselin reportedly made about that, but she a big name on the biggest show of the year (regular beating the weak "Idol" season).

I suspect Johnny got a couple thousand per episode of "SWTS" (that's a generous number), wardrobe, and accommodations. "SWTS" was a winter fill-in (short season, low viewership due to lack of general interest, lack of star power, and the holidays).

I'm sure he got a decent advance on his book, and I'm sure he gets paid pretty well to do shows. Remember, his travel is usually comped so his expenses (barring shopping) are pretty low.

A $7,000-8,000 mortgage is definitely not underheard of here in L.A. either, though that's usually a 2BR/2BA condo, not just 1BR.
    That $7000-$7500 is inclusive of mortgage, taxes and condo fees.

vCash
    He might be getting some New York property tax breaks since he's a first-time home owner, which might bring down the overall cost a tad. Even a one-bedroom in Manhattan will likely retain its value, so I don't think he'll go broke on this venture, even if he can't flip it for a big profit.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    The network may have helped to use the condo on his show. If so, good for him as long as his name is on the deed and not theirs. 1.1M isn't much if you watch Selling NY on HGTV. It just seems that way to those of us in the hinterlands.

Johnny is selling himself as fast as he can. The type of *fame* he's garnering is ephemeral. Go for it while you can JWe.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Also, "Selling New York" is totally fake like most "reality shows."

They recently had an episode with a soap opera star and her husband selling their condo for a couple mil.

An "interested party" that came with his "architect" and mother? He was just another soap opera actor, not even a series regular.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    From the little article, it appears that Johnny's move into the $1.1million condo will be filmed for the next installment of his reality show. Quite a step up from last year's move to a smaller, ground-floor flat in New Jersey. It could be that the cable network is pitching in $$$ and/or Johnny's Angels assisting? And the $1.1 mill doesn't include the furnishings and decor that this sort of abode requires. He could easily spend $100,000s on top-flight furniture, artwork beside the Faberges, etc.

Okay, I'm sure no one is assisting with the purchase of Johnny's condo except the bank where he took out the mortgage. I"m sure Johnny made a nice amount of money from all his television appearances and such. Also, Johnny's apartment in New Jersey was not a small ground floor flat. As someone who lives nearby, I can tell you it is located in a very nice complex of apartments that rent for roughly two to four thousand dollars a month depending on the size of the apartment. And considering that Johnny bought all new furniture when he moved to New Jersey, I'm sure he will be taking it all with him to the new condo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    Johnny was selected by, uhhhhh, the majority of USFS Skating Magazine readers. Would've made a lot of viewers happy. Just like Evan fans were happy to see their man sitting behind the bullet-proof skybox, via NBC's telephoto zoom lens, more than once.

Why? Honestly... exactly HOW big is the "readership" of this magazine. This sounds like a Weir moment. The winner of this has NEVER been mentioned, but NOW it's a slight!!!! Where was this "Whine" last year or the year before that etc... but now that's is Weir it's an issue! More "woe is me" now from his fans!

And considering the "Weir" sightings at Nationals, I don't think he hung around much for NBC to "telephoto" him.

vCash

Johnny did not have access to the money donated to his training fund which was run by the New England Amateur Skating Foundation.. All skaters who have a training fund through NEASF are required to send all skating related bills to the fund which then sent out checks to the coaches etc for payment. The money was only allowed to be used for training and skating related purchases and the skater never saw any of the money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    ...Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    ITA. I was thinking, as my boss used to say, the best money is other people's money. He must have some rich ubers, he should make some hay while the sun shines, his 15 minutes will be up one day.
    Boi Bumba!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    1.1M isn't much if you watch Selling NY on HGTV.
    If you look at the link mmmary posted, the real estate agent was Warburg--one of the agencies featured on Selling NY. Maybe they'll have an episode devoted to it .

vCash
    Good for you, Johnny! Finally found a permanent home for that vacuum cleaner! Be happy and enjoy it...there's no place like home!

(...but I REALLY don't think they should have revealed his exact address like that... too much information!)

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast