Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    Loved that Alissa was in it - recognized her right away.

I wasn't really paying attention to the game but happened to be tuning in when that ad came on, and I just stood there, frozen, watching. It resonates to the core for anyone who's from Michigan or who's lived there.
    Yup, from Ann Arbor and did my UG At UM...definitely made me homesick!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    I would have preferred Kid Rock over Eminem...his latest music video was filmed in the UP (yes I know it's about Detroit and NOT Michigan in general)

http://www.fastcompany.com/1724789/s...nce-in-detroit

"But the biggest choice Wieden + Kennedy and Chrysler made was their choice of spokesmusician. The guy who emerged from that gleaming Chrysler 200 was Eminem, not Kid Rock. Kid Rock is the singer who has been most associated with the revival of the city. His recent 40th birthday concert at Ford Field was a rockfest celebrating the city; he’s sponsored one charitable event after another for Detroit; and he has at least two businesses (“Made in Detroit” clothing and “Badass” Beer) that are local and proud of it.

Eminem’s support of the city has been clear but overshadowed by Kid Rock’s. Not last night. The ad (which had been set up perfectly by an earlier Lipton Brisk spot in which an animated Eminem mocked the singer’s well-known aversion to publicity, love of profanity, and need for “hot chicks”) drew power from the fact that Em doesn’t do this kind of thing.
    There’s a moment early on when viewers could see Eminem at the wheel of the car, creating a level of disbelief that it’s actually him."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    Yep. DSC skaters perform at the Campus Martius rink every winter.
    In fact, that's coming up next weekend, which may have been the inspiration for using a clip of Detroit FSC's best skater skating there. . .
    http://www.winterblast.com/kids-zone/

vCash
    ^geo, thanks for posting this! Guess we are being slapped upside the head that the UP isn't 8 mile!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    http://www.universalsports.com/blogs...id=515795.html

"What do you think figure skating fans, will Czisny change up her gala routine from Barbra Streisand to "My Name Is?" "

vCash
    ^ I'd rather see her skate to "Born Free" Serious what did Kid Rock drive in his last video? I don't pay attention to that kind of stuff...
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    ^ I'd rather see her skate to "Born Free" Serious what did Kid Rock drive in his last video? I don't pay attention to that kind of stuff...
    Nor do I.

That writer's tongue-in-cheek suggestion for Alissa's next gala to be skated to a song by Eminem highlights the multiple ironies in this ad.
    Alissa reportedly dislikes hip hop/rap music..
    ...and she drives a Honda.

-

vCash
    ot----nice picture of Rachael on the same page as the vid

vCash

vCash
    Cute quote from Alissa about the making of the ad from a longer story about all the people involved in the ad:
    "• Alissa Czisny, the 23-year-old 2009 and 2011 U.S. ladies champion from the Detroit Skating Club.

"The whole time out there I was spinning," said Czisny, who appears in the ad whirling in circles at Campus Martius Park in downtown Detroit. "I was a little dizzy at the end.""

Having been involved in commercials, I can just imagine. You do things over, and over, and over again.

Good story: http://www.freep.com/article/2011020...|lateststories

vCash
    I saw this commercial! I have no ties to Detroit whatsoever nor any reason to go there but I thought the ad did a great job of marketing the city. And Alissa was beautiful in it! Too bad they didn't mention who she actually was.

vCash
    Too bad they didn't mention who she actually was.
    They didn't mention who anyone was and it would have ruined the narrative flow if they had. If you didn't know who Eminem is, you wouldn't know. They were not the point; obviously Detroit, the car culture was the point.

I saw it as it was broadcast during the game and I was knocked out. What a great job Chrysler did promoting Detroit and the American auto industry. I know that they were trying to sell their own car (namely the Chrysler 200) but it really boosted Detroit, the auto industry, that whole package and it was so well done. Bravo to the creators.

It sounds like Alissa was pleased to be involved to support the place that has supported her - great for everyone.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Alissa is from the Detroit area, she lived in Northwest Ohio near the Michigan border before moving to the Detroit area permanently a few years ago. She's trained in Michigan for as long as I can remember, so she really is a native of the Detroit general area.
    Funny because when she won her first US title in Ohio people were trying to claim she was from Ohio... which is it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Funny because when she won her first US title in Ohio people were trying to claim she was from Ohio... which is it?
    Apparently, Alissa was made in Ohio, just like her Honda.

vCash
    You are a little bit of all the places you've been. Both will claim her, and both have shaped who she is, what she does.

If you do something extraordinary like win a Nobel prize (or an Academy Award...), everywhere you've ever set foot in will try to claim you.

vCash
    Both, kinda/sorta. As was posted, Alissa is from the NW corner of Ohio (Bowling Green) -- Detroit is the closest metro area (about 80 miles away) and that's where Alissa has always trained. So I guess you could say that both greater Detroit and Ohio can truthfully "claim" Alissa.

Just me
    vCash
    I'm not a fan or follower of either singer and I suppose I really can't call Detroit "mine" anymore, but I think the ad was very well produced and delivered it's message quite effectively.

The only question I have is this...did anyone else think that in the opening shots, Eminem looked a lot like Tom Hanks?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    What I find really interesting about the whole commercial is that everyone involved (including Alyssa) had to keep it secret for the past three weeks. The woman in charge said she was terrified someone would tell or that people would get suspicious during all the filmings. The day of the Super Bowl there was word of a commercial highlighting Detroit w/Eminem, but no one suspected the end result. So congrats for Alyssa keeping mum! It seems like someone would have seen Alyssa being filmed at an outdoor rink in Detroit and reported it on the boards. We all know how far reaching FSU is

vCash
    Alissa looks so beautiful in the commercial!
    No ties at all to the city, but as a fellow American, of course can wish a speedy "Recovery".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    "The whole time out there I was spinning," said Czisny, who appears in the ad whirling in circles at Campus Martius Park in downtown Detroit. "I was a little dizzy at the end.""
    Aw, just a clever ploy by the film crew to see her gorgeous spins live and up close over and over (crew had a FS fan or two?)....
    ...Pretending they need another take, when any one of Alissa's spins randomly chosen would likely be perfect.
    Imagine (film crew to Alissa): "That was pretty good, Alissa, but we're gonna need another take....uh, maybe even another 10 or 11 of them."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25 View Post
    It seems like someone would have seen Alyssa being filmed at an outdoor rink in Detroit and reported it on the boards. We all know how far reaching FSU is
    You'd think so....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast