Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    Congrats to Kylie Duarte & Colin Grafton, Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff, Joylyn Yang & Jean-Luc Baker all made the C team.

vCash
    Does USFS publish the monetary awards that go with each envelop? Just curious what those numbers might be.

vCash

Funding for teams

I am a little dissappointed that there are teams who have the guts to break up prior to announcing funding, but still go on to pair with another and receive nothing, while teams that are clearly broken up and trying out with others (Carman/Reiss) receive funding. It is know wonder why teams drop out and cannot afford this sport! Sorry, but this just makes me ill.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8mom1970 View Post
    I am a little dissappointed that there are teams who have the guts to break up prior to announcing funding, but still go on to pair with another and receive nothing, while teams that are clearly broken up and trying out with others (Carman/Reiss) receive funding. It is know wonder why teams drop out and cannot afford this sport! Sorry, but this just makes me ill.
    Huh?

vCash
    Teams that meet one or more of the published criteria but haven't officially notified USFS of their split (ditto for singles skaters who are retiring or not competing in the coming season) will be listed initially in an envelope -- this has happened regularly in the past. If and when skaters are removed from the envelope(s), I believe the money isn't redistributed to other envelope skaters (I don't know where it goes). Funding doesn't begin until the fall, IIRC.

It's good to see the "Other Considerations" criteria being used for teams like Donlan/Speroff, Duarte/Grafton, and Yang/Baker. The latter two teams have been together since the Juvenile level.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-03-2011 at 04:38 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Teams that meet one or more of the published criteria but haven't officially notified USFS of their split (ditto for singles skaters who are retiring or not competing in the coming season) will be listed initially in an envelope -- this has happened regularly in the past. If and when skaters are removed from the envelope(s), I believe the money isn't redistributed to other envelope skaters (I don't know where it goes). Funding doesn't begin until the fall, IIRC.

It's good to see the "Other Considerations" criteria being used for teams like Donlan/Speroff, Duarte/Grafton, and Yang/Baker. The latter two teams have been together since the Juvenile level.
    I am glad that funding doesn't happen until later. I realize things change, but when it is public knowledge ( I know, not official) then they shouldn't be considered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yes... I would guess the fact that some higher ranked skaters split/retired made it easier to decide to fund additional skaters that hadn't been guaranteed any money.

Quote Originally Posted by sk8mom1970 View Post
    I can't see giving a brand new team immediate funding before they've even competed. Funding is based on what a pair does collectively, and D/B obviously haven't done anything yet.

Carman/Reiss won't get any funding. I don't think Ryan Bradley would have retired already if it was that easy to pull a fast one on USFS and receive funding during the summer with no intentions to compete next season. USFS would be crazy to start funding before the fall (when it's more "confirmed" who will be competing).

vCash
    Recent envelope updates (name links removed): http://www.usfsa.org/Athletes.asp?id=209

Removed from Team A: Chock/Zuerlein
    Removed from Team C: Samuelson/Bates and Carman/Reiss

vCash
    Is Evan eligible to recieve any funding now he is planning on competing next season?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Is Evan eligible to recieve any funding now he is planning on competing next season?
    IMO, regardless of whether or not he's eligible, which I believe he is not, the last thing he needs/should take is funding from USFSA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    IMO, regardless of whether or not he's eligible, which I believe he is not, the last thing he needs/should take is funding from USFSA

Yes, I completely agree, he has the resources to be able to fund himself when many other US skaters who can be just as competitive as him don't. I was just wondering what the USFSA's position was wrt skaters who had taken a year off, as the funding seems to be based entirely on previous season's results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    Yes, I completely agree, he has the resources to be able to fund himself when many other US skaters who can be just as competitive as him don't. I was just wondering what the USFSA's position was wrt skaters who had taken a year off, as the funding seems to be based entirely on previous season's results.
    I'll get off my soapbox now n Thanks

vCash
    Wait a sec! Could somebody pls explain how a singles skater who's not even in the USFSA's Senior Team C but is on the Reserves - C. Zhang - is sent to Skate America? I'm trying to figure it out. Does ISU historical ranking (as a former Jr World Champ) overule current USFSA ranking?

vCash
    From my first post in this thread:

"The team envelopes are designated specifically for funding purposes and do not determine the types or number of international assignments a skater or team might receive."

Re. Lysacek: If he meets one or more of the 2011-12 funded team envelope criteria in the "Additional Considerations" category, then he will be added. If he doesn't meet any of the criteria and commits to competing at 2011 Skate America, then he will be added to the (unfunded) Reserve Team envelope. If he medals at Skate America, he will be added to the Team C envelope and receive that level of funding for the remainder of the season. Here's the exact wording of this particular criterion:
    Athletes in the reserve envelope that medal at a senior B international, Junior Grand Prix Series or Grand Prix Series competition will be placed immediately in Team Envelope C - Tier 2 and receive the remaining funding for that season.
    Ditto for Caroline Zhang who is the only skater besides Lysacek who is assigned to the Grand Prix and not currently in a funded envelope.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-30-2011 at 06:33 PM.

vCash
    Is this Caroline's first season not being on a funded envelope?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Is this Caroline's first season not being on a funded envelope?
    Zhang was 8th in Junior at 2006 Nationals and did not qualify for a funded envelope, IIRC (unless the Reserve envelope was funded then? I can't remember when it ceased to be funded). In the fall of 2006, Zhang was assigned to her first JGP (Mexico City), won the gold, and has been in a funded envelope since that time through last season (2010-11).

ETA: Zhang very likely received some USFS Developmental Team funding (for the top 3 Juveniles/Intermediates at Jr. Nationals) in 2004-05 due to her 2004 U.S. Intermediate bronze medal.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-30-2011 at 08:46 PM.

vCash
    I'm not sure if any singles were added but Caydee Denney & John Coughlin, Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier, Britney Simpson & Matthew Blackmer, Madison Hubbell & Zach Donohue were added to the ISP.
    Last edited by sammyf; 07-14-2011 at 11:36 PM.

vCash
    Does that mean that they'll be put on the Reserve Envelope?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pulaski73 View Post
    Does that mean that they'll be put on the Reserve Envelope?
    In the past, if an ISP team/skater gets an international assignment and aren't already in an envelope, then they are added to the reserve. Based on how well they do at their international event, they can move up to a funded envelope during the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sammyf View Post
    I'm not sure if any singles were added but Caydee Denney & John Coughlin, Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier, Britney Simpson & Matthew Blackmer, Madison Hubbell & Zach Donohue were added to the ISP.
    So were Madison Chock/Evan Bates. I don't believe they are planning to compete in Lake Placid, though, so I guess they would need to be monitored at a club comp in order to get an assignment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12