Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Reading in the car makes me sick, so I just don't do it. Otherwise, I'm not prone to motion sickness. I did get sick once recently, but I was in the very back of a big van, and I was extremely hungry. After we stopped to eat, I was fine. I can read on a plane with no problem.

vCash
    I can't read in a car either or else I get sick. Used to disappoint me when I was a kid because I loved reading. However I can read on trains and planes.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I get motion sickness, but not from reading.

And Gravol doesn't make me the slightest bit sleepy or drowsy.

vCash
    I've found the wrist bands more helpful than I expected them to be.
    "You just can't underestimate the power of positive underwear." 2013 Fruit of the Loom ad

vCash
    As someone who has gotten motion sickness since childhood (my mother used to describe traveling with the 3 of us as "stopping after 20 minutes to let Patsy throw up"), I've discovered the wrist bands work nicely. Also great is "less drousy formula Dramamine" I use both on our Maui trips (think whale watching boats, curvy roads up mountain tops) and as long as the day isn't grey and drizzly, I get by just fine.

And I totally agree about "squishy suspensions" on cars . . . . a recipe for disaster.
    Last edited by Patsy; 02-07-2011 at 10:00 PM.

vCash
    I'm extremely suseptible to motion sickness, and take Zofran whenever I travel long distances via automobile. Zofran is expensive, you need a prescription for it, but doesn't make you sleepy.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I've found the wrist bands more helpful than I expected them to be.
    I think that's interesting. I wonder if that is somehow related to the "joints" being part of your sense of balance as was discussed in the second link I posted.

I've had several people tell me the wrist bands help. I tried them once and they didn't do a thing for me, but I figure there must be a good, physiological reason they work for most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Patsy View Post
    And I totally agree about "squishy suspensions" on cars . . . . a recipe for disaster.
    My aunt has driven Mercedes as long as I can remember. My mom would never ride anywhere with her because the ride was too soft. She did a lot better in rattletrap deathmobiles.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I can't read in a car either or else I get sick. Used to disappoint me when I was a kid because I loved reading. However I can read on trains and planes.
    my daughter is the same.. in addition she can read on the bus as well but not in a car - she also takes gravol Never quite figured out how she can read on the bus.. and also when she is in the car she has to sit in the front - being in the back makes it worse
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    I have had success with Sea Bands when I'm out on the ocean in rougher waters. You have to be careful to place the correctly for them to work. The first time I tried them they weren't effective, but someone pointed out that I didn't have them placed properly. I certainly didn't buy the $114 version as shown in the original post either! I bought these . They have sizes for smaller wrists/children as well.

vCash
    Bonine works very well for me when I go on a cruise or fly.

Everytime we travel to Hawaii, I would always do the driving because otherwise I get sick within 10 minutes.

Good to see I am not the only who can't stand those "luxury" suspesions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12