vCash

Spinning with hand weights?

I've been having huge amounts of trouble with my two foot spin, especially the timing of the pull-in. I was practising on my spinner at home and happened to use it while using hand weights. They were very light -- only 500g (about 1.1lb), but seemed to give me more of a sense of control and of where my hands are.

I've seen kids do spins and even jumps holding their guards, but that seems to be more for body awareness. Is there any advantage to practising spinning while holding weights? I'm worried that as it accelerates the pull-in (by bringing more mass toward the centre) it might give me a false sense of balance and speed that I wouldn't be able to replicate without weights.

Thanks!

vCash
    Maybe I'm speaking from being risk-averse, but this sounds really dangerous to me. If you fell, you would be falling with the weights flying loose (if they're the kind I'm thinking of, they would not be attached to you). Which could damage you and/or whatever or whoever is around you.

On a more practical level, I share your concern about the spin and the timing feeling different with and without weights. I don't think the weights are going to help you figure out what the spin should feel like on the ice without weights.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Could you get those weights that velcro around your wrists? I used to use those when I was working on the Intermediate power circles, to strengthen my arms so they didn't droop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Could you get those weights that velcro around your wrists? I used to use those when I was working on the Intermediate power circles, to strengthen my arms so they didn't droop.
    You know, this is a great idea. I am going to get some and use them for my students. I have bean bag geckos that I put on students hands to help their proprioception, but they are hard to use on a public session. I bet the velcro weights would do almost the same thing.

vCash
    You can get the wrist weights cheap at FiveBelow. I don't know if they still carry the velcro ones, though. I saw last month that they had bracelet-like versions made of lycra-type stretch fabric. Easier to slip into if you have skinny hands.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny_Hop View Post
    I'm worried that as it accelerates the pull-in (by bringing more mass toward the centre) it might give me a false sense of balance and speed that I wouldn't be able to replicate without weights.
    I agree. I'd try using your guards for awareness, then experimenting with different arm and hand positions (i.e., wider apart, chest level vs a little higher or lower, palms facing down vs. palms facing each other, etc.)

vCash
    The hand weights I have do have velcro, so that's okay.

Experimenting with different arm and hand positions (i.e., wider apart, chest level vs a little higher or lower, palms facing down vs. palms facing each other, etc.).
    I didn't think of that. I mostly make fists, then start pulling my elbows in, then make an X on my chest with them.

Mostly my problem seems to be with timing and toepick dragging, and also keeping the weight over the left (for CCW) foot during the entrance. It tends to be that I pull my hands in before my legs, and end up with a single fast revolution followed by the toepick dragging (due to me freaking out from the speed) and my feet quite far apart. I've been trying to relax more and pull my feet in together, then pull my arms around/in as the foot comes in. This seems to make me spin more slowly, but without the toepick dragging so I'm hoping with more confidence and a bigger push it will be faster and smoother.

Thanks for all the help!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunny_Hop View Post
    The hand weights I have do have velcro, so that's okay.

Experimenting with different arm and hand positions (i.e., wider apart, chest level vs a little higher or lower, palms facing down vs. palms facing each other, etc.).
    I didn't think of that. I mostly make fists, then start pulling my elbows in, then make an X on my chest with them.

Mostly my problem seems to be with timing and toepick dragging, and also keeping the weight over the left (for CCW) foot during the entrance. It tends to be that I pull my hands in before my legs, and end up with a single fast revolution followed by the toepick dragging (due to me freaking out from the speed) and my feet quite far apart. I've been trying to relax more and pull my feet in together, then pull my arms around/in as the foot comes in. This seems to make me spin more slowly, but without the toepick dragging so I'm hoping with more confidence and a bigger push it will be faster and smoother.
    The position of your hands and arms can make a big difference. For example, my coach will often advise keeping the hands at waist level and pressing palms down (as if on a table) going into a back scratch spin. It keeps your shoulders down and helps keep you pressing the ball of the blade into the ice instead of rising up onto the toepick and spinning out of control.
    But yes, you do need to create your spin entry from the foot up, not from the arms down. The deeper you bend your knee and ankle on the entrance edge (a good trick is to tell yourself you're going into a sit spin), the rounder your entrance edge will be, the more gradually you will come up into the spin, and the less likely your free leg and arm will swing around too early. Also, think of drawing a tiny circle in one spot with your entrance edge so that you don't travel any distance over the ice. As my coach always says, "If you're traveling, it's because you're trying to go somewhere!"

vCash
    Doubletoe - thank you! I was 'listening in' and that's fabulous advice, well-stated. I like your coach.