vCash

Fairly Legal and Harry's Law

Just started watching these 2 shows.

I like Kathy Bates and the show is made by the same people who produced/wrote Boston Legal so I'm hoping this sticks around.

Fairly legal seems Don Quixoteish (sp), but charming.

Anyone else watching?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pat c View Post
    Just started watching these 2 shows.

I like Kathy Bates and the show is made by the same people who produced/wrote Boston Legal so I'm hoping this sticks around.

Fairly legal seems Don Quixoteish (sp), but charming.

Anyone else watching?
    Yes - love them both!

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Love Harry's Law. Even my 81 year old mom loves it! Its the only new mid-season show I was even interested in and am watching. I hope it sticks around too. I see a lot of the Boston Legal thing going on with the characters, but that's okay, I liked that too. Love the, uhm ... you know, the lawyer who quit his job to go work for Harry? Dang I hate it that I can't remember their names, but he cracks me up.

vCash
    I've only seen 1 episode of Harry's Law, but liked it very much. And I love Kathy Bates! Hope to be able to catch more.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    I haven't seen either of these, but the promos for Harry's Law definitely piqued my interest. Hopefully USA Network will make it available on-demand.

As for Fairly Legal, I don't have the slightest interest in watching it. They took a good premise for a show about the glimpse into the world of mediation and ruined it.

[Begin Rant]

The ads for Fairly Legal are IMO a complete turn-off. I don't know if it's

- Sarah Shahi's über-perkiness, her "Ain't-I-just-so-saucy-and-cute" attitude and one-liners,
    - USA network's mandatoryMaxim/FHM hottie wannabe actress attractive woman surrounded by a protective force field as the "BUT SHE'S SMART, TOO!!" anvils shower down in every scene.
    - the requisite reluctant yet faithful sidekick with more smarts than the star
    - the story lines with plot holes a Panzer Tank Division could drive through
    - the shocking! only not early revealed subplot involving some sort of deep, dark past that, once the slightest inkling of existence appears, is hinted at ad nauseum in every single episode

See also:

- Affairs, Covert starring Piper Perabo (who irritates me to no end)
    - Notice, Burn starring Jeffrey Donovan (a man who not only IMO is uglier than a bowling shoe, but cannot act his way out of a paper bag)
    - Collar, White starring Matt Bomer (I tried to like this show, but not even his looks could get me to continue watching)
    - Plain Sight, In starring Mary MacCormack and Fred Weller. Utter shite. If either were my partner, I'd have to shoot him or her
    - Pains, Royal starring Mark Feuerstein and that annoying as fcuk-all dude as his brother. USA took a great idea for a show and turned it into a royal shit.
    - Psych starring James Roday and Dulé Hill. The word "loathe" doesn't begin to describe my opinion of this show. Hill was wonderful in the West Wing, but with his talent, this show wasn't so much a step down as it was a fall down several flights of stairs. Don't even get me started on James Roday - I find him absolutely repulsive and so humorless Gilbert Godfried seems like a comedic genius.

[/Rant Off]

Topic? I'm willing to give Harry's Law a try if for no other reason that I adore Kathy Bates .
    Last edited by Cyn; 02-04-2011 at 06:09 AM.
    Gun Control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to buy cars.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I watched an episode of Harry's Law - it's decent, but not appointment television. I didn't watch this week, for instance. I do love Kathy Bates, and getting to see Dr Romano (with both arms!) as her antagonist is a bonus.

I have no interest in Fairly Legal. Sounds boring, and I have a grudge against Sarah Shahi because I hated her in The L Word. Not as much as I hated Mia Kirschner, but Shahi's character was completely useless.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Watched Harry's Law this past week and loved it. I'm a big Kathy Bates fan and was impressed with the show.

I haven't watched Fairly Legal yet ...
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I'm torn about Harry's Law. On the one hand, I too adore Kathy Bates, and she's her usual terrific self in this show. I also really like Nate Corddry. BUT the writing is so, so, so bad! That overwrought, earnest, aren't-we-virtuous stuff that David E. Kelly's shows are known for. Ugh.

Caught a bit of Fairly Legal. Nothing off-putting, but nothing must-see. Plus there are just so many "I'm doing this for you, daddy" hooks I can stand in one lifetime.

vCash
    I love some USA shows (unlike Cyn ) but Fairly Legal doesn't look interesting to me. Nor does Harry's Law. I guess I'm just tired of the endless parade of legal shows.

I remember when the network was considering FL -- there was a bunch of unusual, fascinating-looking shows being considered at the same time. So of course they picked up . . . the legal show. Big surprise.
    Last edited by Wyliefan; 02-04-2011 at 08:34 PM.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    I love Harry's Law and I think I've even gotten Mom into it. Which is pretty impressive these days considering nine times out of ten I come upstairs to find that she's watching Nancy "The Shrieker" Grace or something on Faux News.

I nearly turned inside out last night to see her not only watching Joy "Aren't I So Talented?" Behar's show, but...But...her interviee? Perez Hilton!! On our TV!!

Ewwwww!!!

Sigh...Sorry for the digression there, but it had to come out.

I adore Kathy Bates and the fact we get Dr. Romano on our TV's again is a bonus. I also like the sidekick, but the one that really tickles my funny bone is the guy that plays Damien. How he did the intros between Harry and the Priest at the beginning of this past week's eppy had me nearly spewing out the sip of water I had in my mouth at the time.

I"m watching and I'll keep watching.

vCash
    Question for those who have watched Harry's Law - the only reason I'm interested in watching this is because I'm a big fan of Nate Corddry. Is he in it enough for me to bother watching?

vCash
    I'll be the dissenting opinion here--normally, I love David E. Kelly shows, but I was really disappointed in this one. It's like he took bits of his other legal dramas, put them in a blender, and hit "spin." There's a forced quality to it to me. And I really don't understand the whole shoe thing. It's just weird.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I've only seen one so far. We're going to give it a chance as David Kelly is the producer.

I'm not a big tv watcher, I might watch a couple of shows a week, but I swear they've only made 6 shows this year and we're already into repeats. What's with that.

vCash
    I am watching both shows.
    Problem with Farly Legal is that its pattern is settled and show is only at its 3rd episode.
    I am huge fan of David E. Kelley. The Practice, Ally and Boston Legal were so good. But he had recycled many of his ideas even in those shows and I already see him doing it for his brand new show. That kind of turns me away.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dramagrrl View Post
    Question for those who have watched Harry's Law - the only reason I'm interested in watching this is because I'm a big fan of Nate Corddry. Is he in it enough for me to bother watching?
    I would say yes. He is the "second lawyer" at Harry's office, which is only like 4 people total. Harry and "Nate" (drat, what is his character name again??) are the only two lawyers, plus a secretary and a college student (who is like their paralegal). He has gotten a lot of air time so far, at least I think he has. He is way too funny too! He cracks me up. He will definitely be a big factor in the next episode based on previews. So you should definitely watch the next one.

vCash
    I just watched the pilot episode of Harry's Law, and it was cheesy as all-get-out in a very David E. Kelley way, but I liked it. Definitely enough adorableness of Nate Corddry to keep me watching, and the other characters are likeable enough to make it something I'd watch beyond just the "Nate Corddry is on my TV again!" factor.

Also, the earnestness combined with the quirky characters and the "Big-money lawyer changes life; sets up shop in a strange location" premise reminds me of one of my favourite shows of the past, Ed, in which the title character ran a law firm out of a bowling alley.