Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Fanny Price, that little minx?

Yes, Fanny Price, the life draining succubus.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post

(BTW, have you read Martel's Beatrice & Virgil? Another one with a similar response for me. The guy can craft a good story ... but he sure doesn't seem to give a shit about his readers!)
    I haven't, but I'll check it out Thanks.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    For perhaps the 10,000th time, I will highly recommend Patricia Rozema's Mansfield Park. I enjoyed the book, but the movie adds a whole extra dimension to it that I just loved love love.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    For perhaps the 10,000th time, I will highly recommend Patricia Rozema's Mansfield Park. I enjoyed the book, but the movie adds a whole extra dimension to it that I just loved love love.
    Although what the movie did by "merging" the characters of Fanny Price and Jane Austen was interesting, it was absolutely not the story nor themes of Mansfield Park (IMO). Fanny as a character was particularly butchered. Fanny was not assertive, sharp-witted, sparkling and robustly healthy. Changes which I gather wouldn't bother many on this thread, but certainly did me.
    Last edited by AYS; 02-04-2011 at 08:07 PM.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    Although what the movie did by "merging" the characters of Fanny Price and Jane Austen was interesting, it was absolutely not the story nor themes of Mansfield Park (IMO). Fanny as a character was particularly butchered. Fanny was not assertive, sharp-witted, sparkling and robustely healthy. Changes which I gather wouldn't bother many on this thread, but certainly did me.
    Bothered me. If you're going to change it that much - call it something else. I know of a couple others like that - but of course, I can't remember them right now!

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by taf2002 View Post
    I agree with Cyn on Fried Green Tomatoes...I thought the book was miles better. I enjoyed the movie but it was not faithful to the book.
    I think for some films it has to do do with whether you read the book before or after the movie. In my case, I didn't read the book until after seeing the movie, and that may have coloured my experience. (Plus I was in a weird place at the time.) I still have the book, so based on your recommendations I might give it another shot.

vCash
    I love the movie version of The Color Purple, but really hated the book. Sorry, Alice Walker.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Although what the movie did by "merging" the characters of Fanny Price and Jane Austen was interesting, it was absolutely not the story nor themes of Mansfield Park (IMO). Fanny as a character was particularly butchered. Fanny was not assertive, sharp-witted, sparkling and robustly healthy. Changes which I gather wouldn't bother many on this thread, but certainly did me.
    Quote Originally Posted by znachki View Post
    Bothered me. If you're going to change it that much - call it something else. I know of a couple others like that - but of course, I can't remember them right now!
    Fanny Price is one of the most debated Austen characters, so wide open for interpretation IMO. I thought weaving in the author's own character through her writing was clever - after all, it was Jane who created the character in the first place, so some extra insight into the author helps bring the character to life, no?

I also really liked what the director/writer did to bring out some of the underlying themes that were apparently obvious to readers at the time, but lost over time. Loved the casting, loved the sets.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    No wonder I liked the movie Fanny who had a joie de vivre of which the book one is entirely devoid.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Fanny Price is one of the most debated Austen characters, so wide open for interpretation IMO. ....
    For the most part, the debate re: Fanny Price centers on why Austen would have created a weak, sickly character as her heroine, and whether her passive traits were admirable and deserving of the way the plot resolves itself. I don't think there is any argument that she was really a strong, unsickly individual. I can understand why folks liked the movie, it was beautifully done from an aesthetic standpoint and the ideas are interesting, but it's a very unfaithful adaptation of the novel, which I personally think is brilliant from cover to cover.

Regarding the debate around Fanny, if anyone is interested, the essay by Tony Tanner called "The Quiet Thing" that is used as an introduction to the novel in the Penguin edition and also appears in his collection of essays "Jane Austen" sheds a lot of insight on likely why Jane Austen wrote Fanny the way she did.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

Still voting in the icenetwork "It's your move!" contest.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Sense and Sensibility. I found the book bland but it's one of my favourite films of all time.
    FWIW, I think Hugh Grant agrees with you. On Inside the Actor's Studio, he said he thought Thompson's screenplay superior to the novel.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kruss View Post
    I love the movie version of The Color Purple, but really hated the book. Sorry, Alice Walker.
    That one is an interesting example for me. When I first read the book, I could not get into it all -- but it was pretty hard for a white 18-year-old living in small town Canada to relate! Then I saw the movie, and loved it. Some time after that, I tried the book the book again, and this time I was really captivated by it.

vCash
    I can understand why folks liked the movie, it was beautifully done from an aesthetic standpoint and the ideas are interesting, but it's a very unfaithful adaptation of the novel, which I personally think is brilliant from cover to cover...... the essay by Tony Tanner called "The Quiet Thing" ... sheds a lot of insight on likely why Jane Austen wrote Fanny the way she did.
    You have almost tempted me to give Mansfield Park another read. Almost. I know that Fanny Price has many admirable qualities, but acknowledging the fact of her virtues, doesn't make me like her character any more, I'm afraid. So, I'm probably much more apt to re-read Persuasion or Emma -- or if it's a really bad week, P&P for the umpteenth time. Mansfield Park might be "good" for my intellect, but I'm afraid I prefer champagne and chocolate cake to soft-boiled eggs and cod liver oil in my fiction reading.

It goes without saying that I enjoyed Rozema's movie adaptation.

vCash
    Chronicles of Narnia- the lion, the witch and the wardrobe.

I love the book too, but the movie was even better. JMO.

vCash
    I liked the movie Chocolat more than the book. That could be because I saw the movie before I read the book. Usually I have read the books before seeing the movies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Sorry, but apart from P&P I thought all her books lacking in spark and vitality. At least I've read them......
    Right there with you. I've enjoyed all the movie versions of Austen novels (except Emma--nothing could save that story) much better than the books. Austen novels fall into that category of things I think I *should* like--it's literary, it's girly, social commentary, some dry wit here and there, and wacky British notions--but I just don't. I finally admitted to myself that no, I appreciate S&S and P&P, but I don't like them.

FLOVE the movie versions though.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    ...or if it's a really bad week, P&P for the umpteenth time.
    I have the annotated version of P&P--lots of fun.

from Speedy Death

vCash
    In theory I should like Fanny Price -- I'm always the reader who roots for the good guys and the underdogs -- but I can't bring myself to care about her at all. I'm one of the three people on earth who actually like Lucie Manette, and I still can't care about Fanny Price. That tells you something right there.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I have the annotated version of P&P--lots of fun.
    So do I -- and so does my niece. I think I have at least 6 different editions of P&P and several of Persuasion as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Children of Men. I love the book, and teach it in my Dystopian Lit class.

But the movie is so amazing that I don't even get all over the myriad changes to the story.
    I have the book and looked at it last night and set it aside, but I have seen the movie. You've convinced me to read the book now.

And I agree with Fried Green Tomatoes - loved the movie,adored the book but they did leave out some important things in the movie.

I've never seen to Kill a Mockingbird, but love the book. I've always been scared to watch the movie in case I was really disappointed.

Get Shorty - the book was so so, but the movie with John Travolta, Rene Russo and Danny DeVito was very good.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast