Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Really? I love the movie, bu the book is one of my all-time favs. brilliant work
    I meant that the movie did the book justice - not that it was better.

Even Harper Lee loved the movie.

vCash
    The English Patient movie was miles better than the book; it's one of the worst books I ever read.

vCash
    I preferred the film version of Murder on the Orient Express to the book version. The star-studded cast was fantastic and I thought the book dragged on too long.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Sense and Sensibility. I found the book bland but it's one of my favourite films of all time.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Although I loved the book too, The Godfather was one of the greatest films of all time.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    The book and film versions of The Remains of the Day were equally good, I think.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I was curious, so I IMDB'd and apparently there is a movie version of Life of Pi coming out in 2012. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the book.

There aren't many movies that I think are better than books, just because I can create the world myself, with a book.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post
    I was curious, so I IMDB'd and apparently there is a movie version of Life of Pi coming out in 2012. Will be interesting to see how it compares to the book.
    Interesting, that book was optioned almost immediately after publication, but I hadn't heard anything for so long I wondered if they'd ever get around to it. I really enjoyed the story & premise of the book ... but felt utterly and completely manipulated by the ending. I actually wanted to throw the book across the room. I think knowing that going into the film might actually improve my enjoyment of it.

(BTW, have you read Martel's Beatrice & Virgil? Another one with a similar response for me. The guy can craft a good story ... but he sure doesn't seem to give a shit about his readers!)

Other upcoming films that I hope will do justice to their books include One Day by David Nicholls and The Help by Kathryn Stockett. Both have some good talent attached, and One Day in particular I thought would make a good movie as I was reading it, but we shall see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Satellitegirl View Post

There aren't many movies that I think are better than books, just because I can create the world myself, with a book.
    That will be very interesting to see how handle Life of Pi. We listened to it, and it is still quite possibly my favorite audiobook -- Jeff Woodman did an amazing job on the reading. I'm not sure that any movie could create a richer world than the one he helped build in my mind. There were a lot of days that we'd get home and sit in the car for ten or fifteen minutes because we didn't want to stop the reading yet.

vCash
    Children of Men. I love the book, and teach it in my Dystopian Lit class.

But the movie is so amazing that I don't even get all over the myriad changes to the story.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    But the movie is so amazing that I don't even get all over the myriad changes to the story.
    I do. I mean, if you want to change all the themes, why not just come up with a whole new story and a new title?
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Sense and Sensibility. I found the book bland

Philistine!

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post

Philistine!

Indeed.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I do. I mean, if you want to change all the themes, why not just come up with a whole new story and a new title?
    In every other case, I would agree. But I just love both the book and the movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz7391 View Post
    Stephen King's Carrie.
    agree

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    The movie was not better than the book, but did it great justice.
    agree...if ever there was perfect writing, this was it

Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    The Man in the Iron Mask with di Caprio, Irons, and Depardieu. The book by Alexandre Dumas was awful. The part about the princes was over in the first few chapters. The rest was about political parties. No action or drama. I guess the musketeers were too old. Hard to believe he wrote it.
    I loved both but disagree the movie was better, I love Dumas.

Quote Originally Posted by mmscfdcsu View Post
    I preferred the movie The Joy Luck Club to the book.
    disagree, I liked the book MUCH better

I like almost all of John Grisham's movies better than the book for one reason...the endings in the movies are all better than the book, esp The Firm. In the book Mitch's law career is over, in the movie all his years of hard work are not in vain.

I agree with Cyn on Fried Green Tomatoes...I thought the book was miles better. I enjoyed the movie but it was not faithful to the book.

vCash
    Big Fish.

I haven't read the book , but according to some reviews, the movie's better than the book.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post

Philistine!

Sorry, but apart from P&P I thought all her books lacking in spark and vitality. At least I've read them......
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    The Lord of the Rings.

The books just bored me but the movie trilogy is one of my absolute favorites.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Sorry, but apart from P&P I thought all her books lacking in spark and vitality. At least I've read them......
    Certain characters in Mansfield Park and Persuasion were indeed lacking in spark and vitality. I am looking at you, Fanny Price. But the characters of Sense and Sensibility were not among them IMO.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Fanny Price, that little minx?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast