Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    It should be interesting. It really should. But the professor is quite disengaged and seems to have picked the most boring reading selections possible. Since it is a core course, he has a pile of readings to choose from but doesn't have to assign them all. I have found, so far, that when it comes to the actual books, the chapters he is not assigning are the engaging ones.

And the lecturer on the cd-roms rambles and says "'kay?" at the end of every sentence. He is nearly unbearable.
    *shudder*

The class here is a hybrid class, half in class, half online, and they spend a lot of time on things like the impact of social media and how visual communication is changing comprehension, all stuff I'm interested in.

This is their text: http://www.amazon.com/Technology-Fut.../dp/0534604269

I was thinking of getting it from the library and reading it, as some of the readings sound interesting.

I'm not a big fan of SF, but I can see ways that some SF movies could be an interesting part of the class. It doesn't sound like the professor knows how to make it one, though.

That's too bad. I think the impact of technology is a fertile subject. It takes a special person to screw up a topic that is so inherently interesting to so many people.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    Which Little Princess did you read? The father doesn't off himself, he gets sick and dies.
    Indeed. The movie was okay, but it had to leave out about 95% of Sarah's story. I wore my book out when I was a girl.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    I disagree with those who felt the movie adaptation of The Kite Runner was better than the book. I felt the movie did the story a huge disservice by leaving out

Spoiler

. Leaving out this key plot point changed the poignancy and beauty of the final scene, IMHO.

I loved both the LotR books and the movies, but as Eowyn was my favourite character in the books, I was not pleased with the way Peter Jackson and co. completely truncated the Eowyn/Faramir love story.

vCash
    Which Little Princess did you read? The father doesn't off himself, he gets sick and dies.
    Didn't the book father lose his fortune and drink himself to death? I really need to re read the thing now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Didn't the book father lose his fortune and drink himself to death? I really need to re read the thing now.
    Nope. He contracted "brain fever," whatever that is, and died of it.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    Nope. He contracted "brain fever," whatever that is, and died of it.
    Typhoid, I think.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

vCash
    Did he at least lose his will to live because of the failed diamond mines?

vCash
    You've got a lot invested in the idea of him being a wastrel! I think the potential for failure (I don't think they actually did fail until he was at death's door) helped bring on the illness, mainly because he and his daughter would be penniless if the mines failed. Stress and overwork were also major contributing factors.

Sorry, but he really was a decent guy -- naive to a fault and prone to spoil his daughter, but a good and likable man overall. Which is all to the good, I think. His death wouldn't be so affecting if he weren't.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I think I'm so invested in the idea because I was in love with the hero of the movie, going off to war, saving people in the trenches, and risking his life for the other soldier. Then I read the book and went "DIAMOND MINES"? I wanted my happy ending of Sara and dad being reunited, not dad dead and Sara off with the friend.

Back to topic now...

vCash
    I see. When you put it like that, I can see how the movie version would be appealing, and I'm a total sucker for "he wasn't really dead after all!" endings myself. But in this case, I grew up on the book, so I've always been used to the idea that he died.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    He was betrayed by a friend, lost his fortune, and then became ill with "brain fever" (I always thought it was Malaria) and died.

The friend he thought betrayed him, was actually ill, and after Crewe died the friend was searching for Crewe's beloved daughter, to at least restore her fortune to her, and he moved to London next to the school while he was searching and recuperating.

It was by far the most romantic story of my childhood. I read it even more than I read Anne of Green Gables, or Eight Cousins/Rose in Bloom.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456