Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by literaryfreak View Post
    Rochette/Miner, Olympic Gold Medalists in ice dance!
    nono, I'm pretty sure they skate pairs.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamSkates View Post
    And for sports writers making small errors, the average person won't notice the first name is wrong, at least the writer got the last names correct.
    I bet ROSS Miner noticed they didn't get his name right and all his family and friends too. It's his big moment and ESPN screws it up because they can't copy a simple name from the press release announcing the winners? That's pretty lame on their part.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Bonnie Ford tweeted a public apology to Ross for getting his name wrong.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    I sent her an email explaining the error. I wasn't rude or anything, but I did mention that it was an error bound to make Ross if not anyone else feel bad.

She answered my email, with an apology and promised to correct the error. She didn't mention she was gonna tweet, but that is awesome.

vCash
    in my country I never trust those journalists who covers/writes about this sport to really know it or/and to do the check. I used to read articles like "Mao Asada won her first world title with a quad", "Plushenko's THROW quad", and "Johnny Weiss".

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Aw, that was sweet.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Publications should have copy desks with copy editors who do the 10 minutes of fact-checking before an article is published. However, my understanding is that these positions have been cut right and left as print and online publishing venues seek profitability.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rottie View Post
    Publications should have copy desks with copy editors who do the 10 minutes of fact-checking before an article is published. However, my understanding is that these positions have been cut right and left as print and online publishing venues seek profitability.
    Copy editors are quickly becoming a thing of the past. Publications are combining that function with other jobs, including HR functions within the news room.

Yes, this reporter should have fact checked before submitting the article. I wouldn't agree that wikipedia is the way to go, but there are other sources out there that do have the correct information.

Someone brought up fewer errors in football, baseball and basketball articles. That is very true, but sports reporters are hired on their ability to write those types of articles. They are required to write about other sporting events, but few are ever screened for their ability to do that. The office I work in now is hiring a sports writer for public relations purposes. Those three sports are all these guys know. One of them will be hired despite the fact that we have 12 different sports available to our students. If I only knew three areas of my job I'd be out of luck, but we're supposed to consider ourselves lucky that one of these guys knows 3 out of 12.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Men: Bradley finished 15th at worlds in his only previous appearance in 2007, when he was the U.S. silver medalist. With Dornbush and equally untried bronze medalist Scott Miner filling the other two spots, it's unlikely the U.S. will hang onto its three slots at worlds for 2012. The flip side is the obvious promise of those two young skaters.
    Tara finished 15th at worlds then won the next year. I'm not saying Ryan will do the same, but 15th place one year doesn't mean anything in another year.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Tara finished 15th at worlds then won the next year. I'm not saying Ryan will do the same, but 15th place one year doesn't mean anything in another year.
    The reporter is probably looking at it more from the angle that Bradley is in his 8th season as a senior international competitor and that if he hasn't won the love of international judges or calmed his competitive nerves by now, that it's very unlikely for him to suddenly do so now. Lipinski was only in her 1st season as a senior competitor when her 15th place Worlds occurred. Ryan's 2 trips to Worlds (15th and 18th place) out of 7 seasons as a senior international competitor paints quite a different picture.

vCash
    I feel like Worlds last year for Ryan is irrelevant considering how badly injured he was.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12