Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

ESPN Fail: Bradley hasn't been to Worlds since 07 and Scott Miner is going

Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/figure...e_d&id=6077110

Men: Bradley finished 15th at worlds in his only previous appearance in 2007, when he was the U.S. silver medalist. With Dornbush and equally untried bronze medalist Scott Miner filling the other two spots, it's unlikely the U.S. will hang onto its three slots at worlds for 2012. The flip side is the obvious promise of those two young skaters.
    FACT CHECK. PLEASE. IT TAKES LIKE 2 SECONDS VIA GOOGLE. OR EVEN WIKIPEDIA. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

And who in the hell is Scott Miner and what did USFSA do to Ross Miner?

vCash
    Why so serious ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Why so serious ?
    I'm being completely sarcastic.

But people not fact checking, that bugs me.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    Me, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    I'm being completely sarcastic.

It's not just "people" not fact checking, it's a journalist. If it were someone walking around the mall, it's one thing, but to "cover" a sport and not know the names of the winners is a bit ridiculous.

Her email is on the bottom of the article. I suggest FSU skating fans let her know what happens when she disses one of our own.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    It's not just "people" not fact checking, it's a journalist. If it were someone walking around the mall, it's one thing, but to "cover" a sport and not know the names of the winners is a bit ridiculous.
    I'm sorry, I meant the Journalist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post

Her email is on the bottom of the article. I suggest FSU skating fans let her know what happens when she disses one of our own.
    I just sent her an email pointing out five errors in that article.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    I usually will try and send polite email corrections to sports journalists if I spot errors in their articles. I keep in mind that that the majority of regular sports journalists that cover a multitude of sports are going to make the careless errors every now and then, especially if they are writing on tight deadlines.

He [Bradley] declined financial support from the federation last spring,
    This part of the sentence in Ford's article is incorrect because Bradley has been listed all season in the Team B funding envelope on the USFS site. Ford probably meant to write that he declined to be submitted for Grand Prix assignments last fall due to his recuperation from foot surgery.

This is a picky correction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ...This is a picky correction.
    All my corrections were picky. But a good journalist checks facts. Like ryanbfan said, it doesn't take that long. The five errors I pointed out could have been avoided had she spent 10-15 minutes (tops) checking.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Who cares about the mistakes - I'm just excited they are going, and Bradley has some experience in international competitions - I wish him the best. And for sports writers making small errors, the average person won't notice the first name is wrong, at least the writer got the last names correct. Yes, send a courteous email.

vCash
    It's inexcusable for a journalist to make such blatant errors in a published article. Like you said, it only takes a few seconds to check facts.

vCash
    Post deleted
    Last edited by Vash01; 02-05-2011 at 05:56 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamSkates View Post
    Who cares about the mistakes - I'm just excited they are going, and Bradley has some experience in international competitions - I wish him the best. And for sports writers making small errors, the average person won't notice the first name is wrong, at least the writer got the last names correct. Yes, send a courteous email.
    You are too generous or too forgiving. These people get paid to write. It's their duty to make sure they give out correct information. You think it's OK because an average person won't even notice? A wrong first name is just a "small error"? If I was that skater, I would be furious that they did not get my name correct. If I were Bradley, I would be upset that she did not mention that I went to worlds in 2010.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamSkates View Post
    How old are you? 12?

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Scott Miner . . . doesn't he skate with that girl, Tessa Rochette?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Funny you say that, on some blog a lot of people were saying Scott Miner is the evil hybrid of Scott Moir.

vCash
    Re mistakes - if this was an article on football, baseball, basketball or hockey, would there be mistakes. I seem to notice more errors in general in skating articles than the top sports. I don't have stats, just something I notice.

vCash
    I mean, even NBC has made mistakes, I remember Tracy Wilson saying before the Ladies' FS last weekend that "Mirai Nagasu has never won a title when she has won the short program" -- completely ignoring the fact that she won the short programs when she won her senior (and junior) national titles...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    Re mistakes - if this was an article on football, baseball, basketball or hockey, would there be mistakes. I seem to notice more errors in general in skating articles than the top sports. I don't have stats, just something I notice.
    I think that it depends upon your focus. I notice errors in skating, but also notice numerous errors when reporting on my college football team. I've sent emails to espn whenever I see them.

I agree that all journalists should check their facts, but with the "need to get a story out now" media mentality, the facts are not checked as completely as the need to be.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Rochette/Miner, Olympic Gold Medalists in ice dance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast