Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    RYAN BRADLEY - 2011 US NATIONAL CHAMPION
    Posts
    800
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    ESPN Fail: Bradley hasn't been to Worlds since 07 and Scott Miner is going

    Source: http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/figure...e_d&id=6077110

    Men: Bradley finished 15th at worlds in his only previous appearance in 2007, when he was the U.S. silver medalist. With Dornbush and equally untried bronze medalist Scott Miner filling the other two spots, it's unlikely the U.S. will hang onto its three slots at worlds for 2012. The flip side is the obvious promise of those two young skaters.
    FACT CHECK. PLEASE. IT TAKES LIKE 2 SECONDS VIA GOOGLE. OR EVEN WIKIPEDIA. FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.

    And who in the hell is Scott Miner and what did USFSA do to Ross Miner?


  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Why so serious ?

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    RYAN BRADLEY - 2011 US NATIONAL CHAMPION
    Posts
    800
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Why so serious ?
    I'm being completely sarcastic.

    But people not fact checking, that bugs me.

  4. #4
    Fetalized since 1998
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Waving my Adam banner
    Posts
    2,587
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33733
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    But people not fact checking, that bugs me.
    Me, too.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    2,477
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    918
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    I'm being completely sarcastic.

    But people not fact checking, that bugs me.
    It's not just "people" not fact checking, it's a journalist. If it were someone walking around the mall, it's one thing, but to "cover" a sport and not know the names of the winners is a bit ridiculous.

    Her email is on the bottom of the article. I suggest FSU skating fans let her know what happens when she disses one of our own.

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    RYAN BRADLEY - 2011 US NATIONAL CHAMPION
    Posts
    800
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    It's not just "people" not fact checking, it's a journalist. If it were someone walking around the mall, it's one thing, but to "cover" a sport and not know the names of the winners is a bit ridiculous.
    I'm sorry, I meant the Journalist.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep in a Dream
    Posts
    7,566
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19533
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    It's not just "people" not fact checking, it's a journalist. If it were someone walking around the mall, it's one thing, but to "cover" a sport and not know the names of the winners is a bit ridiculous.

    Her email is on the bottom of the article. I suggest FSU skating fans let her know what happens when she disses one of our own.
    I just sent her an email pointing out five errors in that article.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,575
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42893
    I usually will try and send polite email corrections to sports journalists if I spot errors in their articles. I keep in mind that that the majority of regular sports journalists that cover a multitude of sports are going to make the careless errors every now and then, especially if they are writing on tight deadlines.

    He [Bradley] declined financial support from the federation last spring,
    This part of the sentence in Ford's article is incorrect because Bradley has been listed all season in the Team B funding envelope on the USFS site. Ford probably meant to write that he declined to be submitted for Grand Prix assignments last fall due to his recuperation from foot surgery.

    This is a picky correction.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep in a Dream
    Posts
    7,566
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19533
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    ...This is a picky correction.
    All my corrections were picky. But a good journalist checks facts. Like ryanbfan said, it doesn't take that long. The five errors I pointed out could have been avoided had she spent 10-15 minutes (tops) checking.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    813
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Who cares about the mistakes - I'm just excited they are going, and Bradley has some experience in international competitions - I wish him the best. And for sports writers making small errors, the average person won't notice the first name is wrong, at least the writer got the last names correct. Yes, send a courteous email.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    It's inexcusable for a journalist to make such blatant errors in a published article. Like you said, it only takes a few seconds to check facts.

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Post deleted
    Last edited by Vash01; 02-05-2011 at 05:56 AM.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamSkates View Post
    Who cares about the mistakes - I'm just excited they are going, and Bradley has some experience in international competitions - I wish him the best. And for sports writers making small errors, the average person won't notice the first name is wrong, at least the writer got the last names correct. Yes, send a courteous email.
    You are too generous or too forgiving. These people get paid to write. It's their duty to make sure they give out correct information. You think it's OK because an average person won't even notice? A wrong first name is just a "small error"? If I was that skater, I would be furious that they did not get my name correct. If I were Bradley, I would be upset that she did not mention that I went to worlds in 2010.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep in a Dream
    Posts
    7,566
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19533
    Quote Originally Posted by DreamSkates View Post
    Who cares about the mistakes - I'm just excited they are going, and Bradley has some experience in international competitions - I wish him the best. And for sports writers making small errors, the average person won't notice the first name is wrong, at least the writer got the last names correct. Yes, send a courteous email.
    How old are you? 12?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,256
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Scott Miner . . . doesn't he skate with that girl, Tessa Rochette?

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    RYAN BRADLEY - 2011 US NATIONAL CHAMPION
    Posts
    800
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Scott Miner . . . doesn't he skate with that girl, Tessa Rochette?
    Funny you say that, on some blog a lot of people were saying Scott Miner is the evil hybrid of Scott Moir.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    4,731
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14921
    Re mistakes - if this was an article on football, baseball, basketball or hockey, would there be mistakes. I seem to notice more errors in general in skating articles than the top sports. I don't have stats, just something I notice.

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    430
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I mean, even NBC has made mistakes, I remember Tracy Wilson saying before the Ladies' FS last weekend that "Mirai Nagasu has never won a title when she has won the short program" -- completely ignoring the fact that she won the short programs when she won her senior (and junior) national titles...

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Looking for cupcakes
    Posts
    30,765
    vCash
    5550
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    Re mistakes - if this was an article on football, baseball, basketball or hockey, would there be mistakes. I seem to notice more errors in general in skating articles than the top sports. I don't have stats, just something I notice.
    I think that it depends upon your focus. I notice errors in skating, but also notice numerous errors when reporting on my college football team. I've sent emails to espn whenever I see them.

    I agree that all journalists should check their facts, but with the "need to get a story out now" media mentality, the facts are not checked as completely as the need to be.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    Posts
    2,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1968
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Scott Miner . . . doesn't he skate with that girl, Tessa Rochette?
    Rochette/Miner, Olympic Gold Medalists in ice dance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •