I am still saddened by the recent passing of Richard "Dick" Winters, the CO of Easy (until his promotion to Captain and then Major), on January 2nd of this year. He was a man I greatly admired for more reasons than I could list, and I broke down and cried when I heard about his death. Private Ed Mauser, one of the original Toccoa men, died two weeks ago on January 21st. At the age of 94, he was the oldest surviving member of Easy Company (the oldest surviving member now is Frank Perconte, who will turn 94 in March).
As time passes, we lose more and more Veterans of WWII. WRT to Easy Company, only a handful are still with us - as of today, only 35 members of Easy are left, and of those, 16 of them are original Toccoa men.
Er, sorry to get off-topic there .
Added to my original list, I would like to:
- Attend a Winter Olympics
- If the region were more stable, visit Egypt and Israel (although I've been there once before, I was 11 at the time and would like to go back as an adult).
- Adding to my previous list of countries to visit/tour: Australia, New Zealand, Switzerland, Spain, the Netherlands, Brazil, Canada, and (I'm sure) others.
- Spend a good two or three weeks in Washington, DC, and be able to take a lot of time while touring and visiting various spots (rather than one of those quickie/borderline drive-by tours)
- Go on a shopping spree where money isn't any kind of concern .
- Meet the right person, fall in love, and and stay with that partner for life (but not get married)