Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    It's amusing to read this thread. I've lived in North Jersey my entire life. I worked in the city for 5/6 years, occasionally go in for theater, ballet, restaurants, and less frequently museums. But, I've never been to the Empire State Bldg, the Statue of Liberty, none of the more touristy places. I guess I just figure they'll be there if I really want to go. I mean I've passed them and seen them from outside, but never went into them. If I go to a European city, I need to see everything, but I live so close to NYC, that I don't pay much attention to it. It's become such a pain in the butt to get there and everything is so expensive. We have restaurants in NJ that are just as good (some much better). Little Italy is an experience, but there are better Italian restaurants elsewhere. I hate the city during the summer and at holiday times, it gets so crowded (and I can't stand crowds). I've become jaded (and lazy!).

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ Cruisin, I think that's a fairly typical experience. About the only time I go to the main Vancouver tourist attractions are when I have someone from out of town visiting and am playing tour guide. But we all behave differently when we go on holiday -- that's part of the fun, no?

vCash
    I always use TKTS in Times Square (the time it would take to go to Brooklyn and back is just as bad as the waiting in line) and have only had a really long wait once and that was on a Saturday when I didn't get into line until about half an hour after the tickets went on sale so the line was pretty long. But it moves fast and there's a lot of stuff to look at anyway so it's kind of fun. It's also good to listen to other people in line and find out what the good shows are that you might not have considered.

One of my friends uses one of the on-line ticket brokers all the time but I haven't really cared for the seats she gets that way, although the tickets can be really cheap.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Many theaters offer "student rush" tickets at the box office, which can save a lot of money if you have the appropriate ID.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    ^ Cruisin, I think that's a fairly typical experience. About the only time I go to the main Vancouver tourist attractions are when I have someone from out of town visiting and am playing tour guide. But we all behave differently when we go on holiday -- that's part of the fun, no?
    Absolutely!

Demon Barber
    vCash
    As an alternative to TKTS, use discount codes and buy your seats online before you even get to NYC.

www.broadwaybox.com

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    For desert, you could go to Ferrara's in Little Italy. It's definitely an experience.
    Ferrara's is great. Don't expect much from Little Italy, though: it's pretty much a four-five block strip on Mott at this point. Chinatown has expanded from the east, and on several of the cross streets, there are few of the old Italian businesses left.

The High Line is a new must do:
    http://www.thehighline.org/

I'd recommend the Ellis Island museum. The ferries to Staten Island and to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty leave from Battery Park, which is an easy walk to the Brooklyn Bridge, too. If you want to see both Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, you have to leave before 2pm, according to the advisory on the info page, which also has a map and ticket info, including a three-day flex pass.

Also, if you like interactive science museums, I have friends who rave about the Liberty Science Center, in Liberty State Park; you can get there from the Statue of Liberty:

http://www.lsc.org/

You can get there from the same ferry system.

The winter New York City Ballet spring season opens on Tuesday, 3 May, and the first week's repertory, Balanchine mixed-rep programs, is smashing: "Agon", "Apollo", "Symphony in Three Movements", "Square Dance", "Stravinsky Violin Concert", "Monumentum pro Gesualdo", "Movements for Orchestra", "Le Tombeau de Couperin", "The Four Temperaments", "Concerto Barocco", and "Duo Concertante".

http://www.nycballet.com/nycb/utils/...sDate=5/1/2011
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    The High Line is a new must do:
    http://www.thehighline.org/
    Yes, it's awesome, and you get gorgeous views of downtown including lots of ESB. Really neat, low-key park.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Ferrara's is great. Don't expect much from Little Italy, though: it's pretty much a four-five block strip on Mott at this point. Chinatown has expanded from the east, and on several of the cross streets, there are few of the old Italian businesses left.
    Haven't been there in years. Has Chinatown really encroached that much into Little Italy?

Just thought of something really great to do. Just opened a few months ago. Eataly! The original one was opened in Milano/Torino (?). The owner got together with Mario Batali and opened one in NYC. I've heard it's awesome! I heard it's like going to a Mercado Centrale in Italia. The vinegars are worth doing a tasting, go for the 12 + year old. The older they are the more syrupy and expensive they are. Nt for salads, for cheeses and ice cream (gelato).
    http://eatalyny.com/#1

If you want real Gelato, go to Grom. It is a small chain from Italy, it is amazing. click NY for locations: http://www.grom.it/eng/gelaterie.php

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    Yes, it's awesome, and you get gorgeous views of downtown including lots of ESB. Really neat, low-key park.
    ESB = ???

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    ESB = ???
    Empire State Building
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    ^ Ah, yes, of course. Thanks.

vCash
    In lower Manhattan, Fraunces Tavern museum is okay if you're into history:
    http://www.nyc.gov/cgi-bin/exit.pl?u...um.org/&time=2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Haven't been there in years. Has Chinatown really encroached that much into Little Italy?
    In a word, yes.

vCash
    I thought the High Line, even in the beauty of Fall when I was last in NYC, was overrated. I do love Chelsea Market though.

The Park (Central) never disappoints me. I always pay, but can't you get into the Met for free/donation recommended? My favorite museum by far. The Columbia campus is gorgeous as well.

I ate at a vegetarian restaurant called Bloom on the UWS that was decent. You can always check out http://www.menupages.com for places close to your destinations.

The $29 Metrocard is definitely worth it. I walk a lot in NYC, but will hop on a bus or subway and it works on both.

I'm a little frou, but I love a drink at the Hudson Library bar http://www.hudsonhotel.com/en-us/#/e...-york-library/, especially during Fashion Week. Hells Kitchen has a lot of new trendy places.
    Last edited by all_empty; 02-11-2011 at 03:28 AM.

vCash
    A lot of NYC museums have "suggested donations" or "contributions." Most people just pay the price, but technically, you can get in for free or a reduced rate if their admission chart is worded that way. It doesn't work on IMAX movies or special exhibitions. I've only gone once with someone who didn't just pay the suggested rate and I felt awkward. It was only $5 admission to a small-ish non-profit museum. I dumped a five in the donations bucket when no one was looking. If you have a AAA (Auto Club) or AARP card, many places offer discounts.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 02-11-2011 at 03:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by all_empty View Post
    I thought the High Line, even in the beauty of Fall when I was last in NYC, was overrated. I do love Chelsea Market though.

The Park (Central) never disappoints me. I always pay, but can't you get into the Met for free/donation recommended? My favorite museum by far.

I ate at a vegetarian restaurant called Bloom on the UWS that was decent. You can always check out http://www.menupages.com for places close to your destinations.

The $29 Metrocard is definitely worth it. I walk a lot in NYC, but will hop on a bus or subway and it works on both.

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Empire State Building
    Thanks. I was wondering myself; never saw anyone use the abbreviation ESB. The "downtown" comment confused me even more because the Highline ends below 34th street, so technically the Empire State Building is across town. I guess the height of the Highline throws things out of perspective. Downtown views would include the Statue of Liberty (in the Harbor) and the Woolworth building, very art-deco.

If it's raining and you're near Fifth or Sixth Avenue (aka: Avenue of the Americas) in midtown, follow the signs for the "Concourse." (Most of the access is from office building lobbies. The Concourse is an underground corridor with shops, offices and subway access that runs from the mid-40's all the way up to 53rd Street on 6th Avenue. You can also get to Rockefeller Center shopping and the expensive little cafe' that is on level with the ice rink itself.

Oh, and 47th street between 5th & 6th is the Diamond District. Many of the jewelry stores there have custom items. If you haggle well, you could get a bargain.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 02-11-2011 at 03:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FigureSpins View Post
    Thanks. I was wondering myself; never saw anyone use the abbreviation ESB. The "downtown" comment confused me even more because the Highline ends below 34th street, so technically the Empire State Building is across town. I guess the height of the Highline throws things out of perspective. Downtown views would include the Statue of Liberty (in the Harbor) and the Woolworth building, very art-deco.
    still an inexperienced tourist

vCash
    It was enlightening for me, I'm just a jaded NY'er who doesn't think of those things.

The Highline ends right near the old Lerner building, where Sky Rink reigned on the upper floor before being "moved" to Chelsea Piers. It had a good view of the ESB and John Curry, too.

vCash
    I've been to NYC a couple of times and still don't get why people say it's so expensive. To me prices are comparable to other cities. And I never really go on a budget. The only thing that makes it expensive is that I'm always enticed to spend, since you're constantly walking by restaurants, stores and interesting things.

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast