Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mon125 View Post
    The no tax under $110 actually is a few years old, I do no have the exact year (2004 or 2005), but I think it is in revision due to NY budget. The tax is on single items below $110, not on your total bill.

I am pretty sure you have to pay tax on the whole price of the item, not just the amount over $110. Living in NYC as a graduate student for many years, only a few time I was able to afford clothing above $110. I remember being very happy when I noticed that I did not have to pay taxes on clothing.
    I just read something about it being repealed from Oct. '10 through end of March 11. And something about a 4% tax on items under $110. Not sure if I have this right. The article was vague (at best).

I do know it's really strange to buy things in other states (for me). I am used to paying what is on the tag. I rarely will purchase non-taxable items outside of NJ, doesn't make sense to me. I remember being in NYC one time and went into the Coach store. There was a bag there that was not in the NJ store yet. I said I'd wait for it to come to NJ, the tax is lower. They tried to convince me that shipping it would work, that I wouldn't have to pay tax. So, I asked about the shipping cost - it was higher than the extra tax .

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Hmm, 8-9% sales tax is still cheap compared to the 12% "harmonized" (provincial + federal) sales tax we pay in BC. And it's even higher in some other provinces. Then there's 17.5% VAT in the UK ...

I assume the $110 cutoff is per item, not total bill? That shouldn't be an issue for me, I rarely pay more than $100 for a single item.

JEWELS.
    vCash
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sales_t...tates#New_York

New York has a 4% state sales tax. All counties and some cities add local taxes ranging from 3% to 4.75%. In New York City, total sales tax is 8.875%, which includes 0.375% charged for the service of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority.

As of September 1, 2007, New York State eliminated sales tax on all clothing and shoes if the single item is priced under $110. Most counties and cities have not eliminated their local sales taxes on clothing and shoes. There are however, 5 cities (most notably New York City) and 11 counties that have done so.

Effective October 1, 2010 and lasting through March 31, 2011, statewide sales and use tax exemption for clothing and footwear sold for less than $110 will be eliminated. For New York City, this means article of clothing costing less than $110 will now be charged 4.375% tax. A state sales tax exemption for clothing and footwear under $55 will be reinstated from April 1, 2011 through March 31, 2012. The original ($110) exemption will be reinstated after March 31, 2012.
    So, in late April/early May 2011, the sales tax rate in NYC for clothing and footwear under $55 per item should be 0% if I understand this correctly (no state or local NYC sales tax).
    The sales tax rate for clothing/shoes $55-110 per item in value would be 4.375% (4.375% state sales tax, no NYC local sales tax).
    The sales tax rate for clothing/shoes costing more than $110 per item would be 8.875% (4.375% state and 4.50% NYC local sales tax).

http://www.tax.ny.gov/bus/st/sales_t..._exemption.htm
    http://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/memos/sales/m10_16s.pdf
    For the period October 1, 2010, through March 31, 2011, there will be no state and MCTD sales and use tax (sales tax) exemption for clothing and footwear. Accordingly, for the period beginning October 1, 2010, and ending March 31, 2011, sales tax vendors must collect and remit the state’s 4% sales tax and, if applicable, the state-imposed 3/8% sales tax in the Metropolitan Commuter Transportation District (MCTD) on sales of clothing and footwear, regardless of the price.

Then, for the period April 1, 2011, through March 31, 2012, clothing and footwear sold for less than $55 per item or pair will be exempt from the state’s 4% sales tax and the state-imposed 3/8% sales tax in the MCTD.

Finally, on and after April 1, 2012, the original less-than-$110-per-item clothing and footwear exemption will be restored. It will apply to the state’s 4% sales tax and also the 3/8% sales tax in those localities in the MCTD that provide the less-than-$110 exemption.
    Last edited by HisWeirness; 02-07-2011 at 08:28 PM.

vCash
    I have a question, how far is the Hamptons beach from NYC? I believe there's a subway line that gets all the way there. How long can someone get there from the subway and if there's something interesting to do there other than walk in private property beach.

Oh, and is there restaurants at The Hamptons that sell lobsters like the ones in Seinfeld??

My other questions is if there's a good bakery that sells killer rye bread like in that Seinfeld episode.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    All post
    Thanks for the info!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lash View Post
    Go to Brighton Beach and check out the Russian community. Markets and restaurants. I'm not big on shows or museums but more on just urban culture so I really loved this. Also I had a FANTASTIC guide, FSUs own SaSherka. (thanks again, I still have great memories of that day)
    Make sure you go a little bit further and get to the original Nathan's hot dogs, the best in the world along with their fabulous french fries!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sailornyanko View Post
    I have a question, how far is the Hamptons beach from NYC? I believe there's a subway line that gets all the way there. How long can someone get there from the subway and if there's something interesting to do there other than walk in private property beach.

Oh, and is there restaurants at The Hamptons that sell lobsters like the ones in Seinfeld??

My other questions is if there's a good bakery that sells killer rye bread like in that Seinfeld episode.
    The Hamptons are about 80 to 100 miles from the city. Depending on which Hampton you are going to. Quogue (part of Southampton) is nice too. There are lots of great restaurants in the area, don't forget it's where the wealthy play. As for Seinfeld locales, I don't know if there are any bakeries or restaurants from the show that are real. but, I'm sure you'd find great ones. The only restaurant from Seinfeld was the soup nazi restaurant. But I think that came from the show, not vice versa. And it tanked.

Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Make sure you go a little bit further and get to the original Nathan's hot dogs, the best in the world along with their fabulous french fries!
    Not a hot dog fan, but Nathan's fries - heavenly!

vCash
    Go outside of Manhattan.

vCash
    Midtown west vegetarian restaurant - Zen Palate (9th Ave) is terrific. Near enough to go there before the theatre.

If you want to get out of Manhattan that's great but in truth you'll probably spend an awful lot of time organizing it (rent car, etc.) and doing it. I live about 30 miles up the Hudson so I drive in and out of town constantly and I truly feel sorry for anyone tyring to do it who doesn't know it well - it must be very frustrating. And then when you get wherever you're going, where is "there." People who want to see "The Hamptons" find out the hard way (after hours of driving out on Long Island) that many places are "there" in the Hamptons depending on who you ask and what kind of experience you're looking for - you have to pick one. And the fun of The Hamptons is staying out there, not just showing up and looking for something (whatever that might be).

I think that the person who suggested The Cloisters had it right - right nearby and a world away. You really will feel like midtown is a million miles away. The collection is gorgeous, it's easy to get there and the 'peace' of the place is remarkable. If the weather is good and it's seasonal, the Brooklyn Botanical Garden is gorgeous, the Bronx Zoo (right next to the Bronx Botantical Gardens) is fun. If you want to skate, hit golf balls, do something physical Chelsea Piers is in Manhattan and the Sky Rink is open year round.
    Last edited by Willowway; 02-07-2011 at 11:39 PM.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    The only restaurant from Seinfeld was the soup nazi restaurant. But I think that came from the show, not vice versa. And it tanked.
    The actor who played The Soup Nazi has been in my 'hood several times, working for a soup restaurant that puts on charity fundraising events periodically. And yes, he stays in character. People line up around the block for the privilege. Last time I went, I was tempted to deliberately screw up my order so I could have him yell "No soup for you!" ... but I lost my nerve. Plus I really wanted the soup.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    The actor who played The Soup Nazi has been in my 'hood several times, working for a soup restaurant that puts on charity fundraising events periodically. And yes, he stays in character. People line up around the block for the privilege. Last time I went, I was tempted to deliberately screw up my order so I could have him yell "No soup for you!" ... but I lost my nerve. Plus I really wanted the soup.
    Yes, but a chain of soup restaurants came from that episode, same name as the soup restaurant in the show. They served something like 20-30 soups a day. You could get it by the cup, bowl or a bread bowl. But the soups were blech!

vCash
    There were two recurring restaurants in Seinfeld - the soup Nazi's place and Tom's, the diner.

The original 'soup Nazi' was there long before being mentioned in Seinfeld and is The Soup Man (West 55th near Broadway). The soups are excellent and the whole Nazi thing is a bit of an exaggeration but that's showbiz. I think they opened another one downtown in the Wall Street area. Worth going - the soups are unusually good and I'm real picky. As far as the original The Soup Man, there are only two - any chain is something else.

Do not under any circumstances come uptown looking for "Tom's" the diner in which they hung out on Seinfeld. The interior is not that interior (the exterior is Tom's and very familiar from the show) and the food is just awful. I like a good greasy spoon as much as the next guy but this is a bad greasy spoon. It's up in the neighborhood my kids live in (they're both adults on their own in Manhattan), upper Broadway near Columbia University.
    Last edited by Willowway; 02-08-2011 at 01:11 AM.

vCash
    Hrrmmm I'm surprised two of the famous restaurants that appear in the show exist in a way. I'm curious to go to the soup man if I'm ever in town.

Hey, what about that awful chinese restaurant with horrible service that appears in a few Seinfeld episodes? Does it exist?

vCash
    I'm reasonably sure that The Soup Man and Tom's are the only two 'real' restaurants in Seinfeld.

vCash
    I thought the real-life "Kramer" had his own tour at some point.

Yep - his website's still online: http://www.kennykramer.com/

I don't know anyone who's ever taken the tour, just putting it out there.

AFAIK, the chinese restaurant was just a set, although the layout reminds me of a chinese restaurant on Fifth Avenue near 45th street - a little upscale and overpriced with a waiting area that had chairs. I would choose Wo Hop in Chinatown over it, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Yes, but a chain of soup restaurants came from that episode, same name as the soup restaurant in the show. They served something like 20-30 soups a day. You could get it by the cup, bowl or a bread bowl. But the soups were blech!
    He also launched a frozen soup line that they carry in supermarkets here. I've never tried them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    The original 'soup Nazi' was there long before being mentioned in Seinfeld and is The Soup Man (West 55th near Broadway). The soups are excellent and the whole Nazi thing is a bit of an exaggeration but that's showbiz. I think they opened another one downtown in the Wall Street area. Worth going - the soups are unusually good and I'm real picky. As far as the original The Soup Man, there are only two - any chain is something else.
    Is this not the same restaurant?http://www.originalsoupman.com/locat....aspx?state=NJ
    Been to the one in Morristown, it's okay. The soups are no better than Au Bon Pain. Not bad, but not great.

Demon Barber
    vCash
    To clarify, the Soup Nazi originated from the owner of Soup Kitchen International (the West 55th St address). That location shut down for a long time while the owner/Soup Nazi developed his chain of soup stores (Original Soup Man that everyone is mentioning above)/frozen goods. A franchise of Original Soup Man is now in the place where Soup Kitchen International once operated. The days of the Soup Nazi as known by Seinfeld are long gone.

Also, the subway doesn't go the the Hamptons. People in NYC w/o a car typically take the Hampton Jitney to get out there:

http://hamptonjitney.com/cgi-bin/nav.cgi?page=home.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post
    To clarify, the Soup Nazi originated from the owner of Soup Kitchen International (the West 55th St address). That location shut down for a long time while the owner/Soup Nazi developed his chain of soup stores (Original Soup Man that everyone is mentioning above)/frozen goods. A franchise of Original Soup Man is now in the place where Soup Kitchen International once operated. The days of the Soup Nazi as known by Seinfeld are long gone.
    That is rather what I was talking about. The soup nazi created the Soup Man chain. The restaurant that was in Seinfeld doesn't exist anymore. I just couldn't (initially) remember the name/s of the restaurants.

Also, the subway doesn't go the the Hamptons. People in NYC w/o a car typically take the Hampton Jitney to get out there:

http://hamptonjitney.com/cgi-bin/nav.cgi?page=home.html
    Maybe they were thinking LIR?

vCash
    For anyone interested in cheap Broadway tickets, do NOT go to the TKTS booth in Times Square. The crowds are insane. There is a TKTS branch in Brooklyn which is much much better. It's about a 15-20 minute walk from the Brooklyn Bridge, so you can take the subway into Brooklyn, get your Broadway ticket from the TKTS booth and then walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge. Finish up with a lunch in Little Italy or Chinatown which are both close to the Manhattan end of the Brooklyn Bridge

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast