Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    If you haven't seen "In The Heights", you MUST - MUST - MUST! It's fantastic - and I don't even care for Latin rhythms! Great dancing, marvelous cast, and an actual decent plot besides! Go to the TKTS shop in Times Square and see what you can get for that night; there's always something worth seeing and the tickets are usually around half-price. The only show I've paid full price for was "The Lion King" which was worth every cent, BTW. If it's small, intimate classic theatre you're looking for, try "The Fantastic" - one of the the longest running musicals in the world. Tiny theatre, small cast and you feel as if you're part of the show.

The subway cards are good to have and there's always someone around who can explain how to get where you want to go on them. Avoid cabs if you can; they're slow and expensive.

And I'll second the hop on-hop off bus tours for a general orientation of the city. The NBC Studios Tour was fun and educational.

I can't say I've ever had a bad meal in NYC. We usually just read menus until we find some little place we like and give it a try. My friend swears by Johnnie's Pizza but be haven't managed to hit it yet. There are tons of places so it's an adventure in eating...

For shopping, if you're adventurous and don't mind knock-offs, find a street fair or head to Canal Street. It's worth seeing even if you don't buy anything; you can learn to spot the knock-offs purses and jewelry if nothing else. And it's a great place to buy that extra bag you might need to haul home your more pricy finds.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Demon Barber
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    If you haven't seen "In The Heights", you MUST - MUST - MUST!
    It is fantastic, but it closed.

I recommend hopping a NYC bus w/ your metrocard and watching the landscape pass.

The Morgan Library that was mentioned also has free Fridays 7-9.

http://www.themorgan.org/visit/

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Good to know about the transit pass, that was going to be another question. We're probably going to be staying at a rental apartment in Brooklyn so will definitely be needing good transit.

Do they do 1-day or 3-day passes as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    Sorry to hijack your thread Artemis
    No worries, it's not like we're at cross-purposes here! We can share.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    After years, decades, of wanting to visit NYC, it's finally going to happen this spring (late April or early May). I'm so excited!
    What Broadway shows would you recommend? And I have little interest in based-on-musicians’-true-stories musicals like Jersey Boys. [/quote]

That's too bad Jersey Boys was one of the best shows I ever saw - went twice!

Where’s a really good place to get a slice?
    That can change, so ask the concierge in your hotel.

Any day trips out of the city you’d recommend? We won’t have a car so they’d have to be easily doable by train or bus. I was thinking possibly somewhere up the Hudson valley, or somewhere “charming” and coastal like Cape May.
    Cape May is really far for a day trip. About 3-4 hours (by car) and you'd probably have to take a train to Newark or Menlopark/Islin and change trains, so it could be longer.

Any “authentic New York experience” that I might not have thought of?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions later but that's it for now.

TIA
    The Cloisters is a great idea, definitely do that. Metropolitan Museum of Art, Museum of Natural History, MoMA, if you're into ballet - Lincoln Center. Go to Little Italy, and eat wherever. You could go to SoHo, Chelsea, South Street Seaport. Don't buy the junk off the street, it's - junk. Be careful about eating from street vendors, I've seen carts topple and the food goes right back on sale ! Chrysler building is beautiful. Walk down 5th Ave. Times Square is usually a crowded mess, and in my opinion, not worth it, but since you've never been... Don't forget the sales tax in NYC is high! Don't go to Central Park at night. A drink at the Oak Bar in the Plaza is kind of unique, but $$$. St. Patrick's Cathedral.

vCash
    Also, you can go art gallery hopping in SOHO. You may need a listing because many of them are not directly on the street, so you just have to go into a building. Doormen can be very helpful and they will tell you of other galleries in the same building. Also, doing that I run into a few sample sales . Other galleries have street level locals. The galleries are free and usually nobody bothers you. Some of them are better than others, but it is a lot of fun.

Also, you may check if there are works of art being exhibited at Sothesby's (York and 72nd street) before going into auction. I think these exhibitions are usually free.

If you like graffiti, you can try Five points in Queens (http://queens.about.com/od/thingtodo/ss/lic_art_2.htm), also free. It is only one block from the subway where there is also a very nice old school diner. Around the area is MOMA PS1 and there are a few small art galleries that feature young artists.

Now, if you are interested in a day trip, I was thinking you can visit the Rockefeller State: Kykout (http://www.hudsonvalley.org/content/view/51/109/). There is a mini gallery of modern art with very interesting works.
    Last edited by mon125; 02-04-2011 at 05:49 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Village Idiot View Post
    It seems you're more interested in musicals than plays so there's also Priscilla Queen of the Desert and a revival of How to Succeed in Business w/o Really Trying (w/ Daniel Radcliffe). Anything Goes will also be revived w/ Sutton Foster.
    Several of my friends have seen Priscilla Queen of the Desert in London over the past few months and RAVED about it. So if it is open when you are in NYC, I would recommend that show.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    Don't forget the sales tax in NYC is high!
    For clothing or shoes, there is no sale tax for articles under $110 (http://www.nyc.gov/html/dof/html/bus...ys_sales.shtml), though that may change soon.

About buying knockoffs at Canal street, usually they have the good stuff hidden (which is also nicer BTW) and you have to ask for it: I want some Tifanny's, can you show me?.

vCash
    You could go to New Jersey - they used to have no sales tax at all, I guess that is still the case?

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Matry, I'd go to Top of the Rock instead of the Empire State Building, but I guess it's a matter of personal choice. I think the view is slightly better plus you can get the Empire State Bldg in your pics.

Artemis, you can take Metro North train to a number of places up the Hudson Valley, but with only a week, I'd probably concentrate on the city itself. If you have some extra time, it's nice to just sort of stroll around Manhattan - it's a very walkable city and the people watching is fun.

If you have an interest, the Ellis Island exhibit can be very moving. I'd take the Staten Island ferry to get some pics and a view of the Statue of Liberty and actually go to Ellis Island for a more in depth experience.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

Demon Barber
    vCash
    Do they do 1-day or 3-day passes as well?
    Used to. Not anymore. Here's subway info (maps, passes)

http://mta.info/

vCash
    They got rid of the 1-day Fun Pass?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyNC View Post
    You could go to New Jersey - they used to have no sales tax at all, I guess that is still the case?
    Well, that's not exactly right. We have no tax on clothes, shoes, necessities. But there is tax on luxury items, eg.: cosmetics, jewelry, restaurant food, handbags. Still it's not on everything and it's 6%, much lower than NYC.

Shopping in NJ is great, we have the best malls. Paramus and The Mall at Short Hills (a little farther away, but one of the best malls in the US) being the best. Woodbury Commons for outlet shopping. You'd have to check train and bus schedules for transportation availability.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Randomness:

Cafe Lalo. Cafe / dessert house, open late every night, where Tom Hanks first met Meg Ryan (who held a book and rose in her hand) in person in the movie "You've Got Mail."

Serendipity 3. Gigantic desserts, huge crowds, open late. Down the street from Dylan's Candy Bar (not open late but worth perusing if you're waiting for a spot at Serendipity).

Koreatown. Just south of Macy's. Lots of Korean BBQ houses, coffee/tea houses, clubs, and karaoke joints open 24/7. For authentic Korean BBQ, the family of a college classmate of mine supposedly owns Kum Gang San, one of the largest and most well-known BBQ houses. Open 24/7.

Dim Sum Go Go. More expensive, but fresher and better dim sum than a more traditional, loud dim sum house. You order off the menu instead of ordering off a cart. Yuppie crowd. To the original poster, if you're from BC as in Vancouver, you'd be better off sticking with dim sum there (more authentic Hong Kong cuisine from more recent immigrants) than in New York.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    ^ Yeah, we don't exactly have a shortage of good Chinese food here in Vancouver! I'm not opposed to visiting Chinatown while in NYC, but it isn't terribly high on my priority list.

vCash
    For desert, you could go to Ferrara's in Little Italy. It's definitely an experience.

vCash
    Good to know about the transit pass, that was going to be another question. We're probably going to be staying at a rental apartment in Brooklyn so will definitely be needing good transit.
    I live in Brooklyn! I can get in free to the Brooklyn Museum (huge Egyptian collection, period rooms & costumes, and lots more) and bring guests. PM me if you're interested.

For getting around in the city, HopStop is wonderful, and if you have an iPhone, there's a HopStop app that I like even better than online. It's so much easier than trying to read the maps! You can re-route at any point if you don't like what is suggested. I don't think it's out for Android yet, but I could be wrong, or it might be by the time of your trip.

Something locals know about that tourists usually don't, is the Central Park Skate Circle. This is a wild and fun roller disco scene. It's almost as much fun to watch as to skate. Unfortunately, they are short of funds and may not be able to open in April as planned. You can check here to see if it's on when you will be here.

vCash
    If you're going to Hoboken, NJ, walk to Stevens Institute to check out the views from their campus. They're stunning and unique, as is the University itself. They sometimes allow outsiders to dine in the Cafeteria. The food's not bad, but getting a window seat is worth the walk - you can watch the cruise ships go down the Hudson to the harbor with all the passengers outside, waving. Lot of fun.

After you ride the SI Ferry, take a bus to the Snug Harbor Cultural Center. It has a number of different botanical gardens, including the Chinese Scholars Garden. There's also a children's museum and a number of art exhibits with artists in residence. It's in a neighborhood with tons of huge old houses, so it's a nice day trip if you like architecture. Some of the nearby neighborhoods have house tours once a year, but I don't know if that area does. While the view of the harbor and Manhattan is spectacular, Jersey is mostly the oil tank farms of Bayonne.

In Chinatown, the best restaurant (IMO) is Wo Hop at 17 Mott Street, DOWNSTAIRS. The Vegetable Chow Fun is delish, and the tic-tac-toe chicken's arcade is right across the street. Since there are no windows in the basement restaurant, you don't have to look at the hanging ducks. *shudders* One note: it's very small, but worth the wait if there's a line. When it's crowded, people share tables, but you get your own check.

I second the Top of the Rock recommendation - great views of the City. Not sure about the menu, though you could just go for drinks or dessert.

Keep an eye out for restaurant week deals - I'm not sure when it is scheduled this year, but the 21 Club was a cool experience.
    Century 21 in downtown Manhattan is good, but if you want the real experience, take the train to 86th Street in Brooklyn and get the real deal. Be prepared for pushing, elbowing and competition for the bargain-priced designer stuff, though. The pizza in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn is the best, hands down.

Brooklyn Heights has a good bit of local color and the main drag has varied restaurants and shops, including some that sell local artists' work and some great second-hand places where you might find your special NYC souvenier.

I didn't know FAO Schwarz was still on 5th Avenue, so that's a cool trip. It was the toy store from the movie "Big" and is right across the street from The Plaza Hotel, where the fictional Eloise held court, lol. The Museum of Natural History and the Hayden Planetarium are uptown. It's a short walk.

For cheap tickets to on/off Broadway plays and performances, check out the TKTS stores. They sell same-day tickets for half price and they're authorized ticket vendors for all venues. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TKTS#New_York

My daughter insists that the Broadway staging of Phantom was far better than the road show version, but I could understand not wanting to see it again. Jersey Boys was a great show, but it is an autobiography of the group, very eye-opening and geared towards adults. (Language, situations) It gave new perspective to the songs themselves. ("Oh What A Night" was about the songwriter losing his virginity in a brothel.) "The Addams Family" looks like fun.

Cape May is too far for a day trip - it's probably a four-hour drive each way.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 02-07-2011 at 02:28 PM.

vCash
    Don't forget the sales tax in NYC is high!

Huh? I read that it was only 8 or 9%. Is that not true?

And a question on the no tax on clothes and shoes unless over $110.....

On items over, do they start taxing at the $110 mark? Or then tax from the first dollar?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Huh? I read that it was only 8 or 9%. Is that not true?

And a question on the no tax on clothes and shoes unless over $110.....

On items over, do they start taxing at the $110 mark? Or then tax from the first dollar?
    8-9% on clothing, non-luxury items. for a NJ person, is a lot! Since we don't pay any tax on non-luxury. Of course we make up for it in property taxes !

I don't know anything about the no tax under $110. That is relatively new. They used to have no tax weekends/weeks, to compete with neighboring NJ malls. I also don't know if it is a single item over $110, or a total bill of over $110. I don't know where the $110 figure came from, you could easily spend well over that, on a single item, in NYC.

vCash
    I don't know anything about the no tax under $110. That is relatively new. They used to have no tax weekends/weeks, to compete with neighboring NJ malls. I also don't know if it is a single item over $110, or a total bill of over $110. I don't know where the $110 figure came from, you could easily spend well over that, on a single item, in NYC.
    The no tax under $110 actually is a few years old, I do no have the exact year (2004 or 2005), but I think it is in revision due to NY budget. The tax is on single items below $110, not on your total bill.

I am pretty sure you have to pay tax on the whole price of the item, not just the amount over $110. Living in NYC as a graduate student for many years, only a few time I was able to afford clothing above $110. I remember being very happy when I noticed that I did not have to pay taxes on clothing.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast