Thread: european waltz?

vCash

european waltz?

hello all,

I am an adult skater who will be testing her european waltz in a couple of weeks. I'm looking for tips - what to do, what to avoid, etc. I'm generally pretty good at not wide-stepping, but i have trouble straightening my freeleg when i bring it in to do the turn. Is that a failable offense?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Cheers,

Fan

vCash
    Re. straight leg failable offense--perhaps not, although a sloppy foot position through the turns might be. Since you do those turns a lot from here on out, it's worth working at to fix the leg position as much as possible now. You'll have to do it at some point anyway.

I always focus on holding every extension until the last split-second before drawing the free foot in for the next turn or step. It contributes greatly to the expression of the waltz.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by backspin View Post
    Re. straight leg failable offense--perhaps not, although a sloppy foot position through the turns might be. Since you do those turns a lot from here on out, it's worth working at to fix the leg position as much as possible now. You'll have to do it at some point anyway.

I always focus on holding every extension until the last split-second before drawing the free foot in for the next turn or step. It contributes greatly to the expression of the waltz.
    what's considered a sloppy foot position on the turns?
    Thanks!

vCash
    make sure you just really have the "down-up-down" waltz expression. one of the girls i partnered failed for this reason and i was sooooooooooooo mad so now it's the #1 thing i focus on. :p

otherwise... just making sure the 3turns are clean, not skidded... then really keeping the toe-to-heel or whatever position you do as you push to ensure it's not widestepped at all.

as for when the freeleg is brought in though...... i wouldn't want it completely straight there. judges always mistake that for being on 2 feet which is pretty much automatic fail... so it will have to be bent slightly because you aren't on 2 feet.

vCash
    Neat Feet in the European are so important.

I would also suggest making sure you step on the edge as you push into your outside edges. Sounds obvious but it really does help with the turn. And as you push forward that the heel of your skating foot is connecting with the boot of the pushing foot.

Another thing is not to overrotate after the back pushes. You want the pattern you set to look like two coins that have been put side by side and the next back push should be where those two coins meet. I hope that one makes sense.

Also make sure you are not hitching the hip up on the turns. That shows that you are not using the edges to let the turn happen but rather forcing the turn.

If you can get hold of one of the ISU dance DVDs it has a very young Tessa and Scott doing the European.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    My advice is to push on the backward transitions, especially the one coming out of the end pattern. If you just step rather than push your partner will run over you because he is doing a forward cross roll. Stay square as was mentioned above. Good luck and let us know how you do!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fan View Post
    what's considered a sloppy foot position on the turns?
    Thanks!
    Foot not held tightly to skating leg--wide feet in air usually means wide step out of the turn too. If you do bend your free leg knee slightly, make sure the feet are still extremely neat and controlled. If the knee is bent a LOT, then the whole thing looks sloppy, and yes, might be a failable offense, since it will get repeated over & over.

vCash
    Watch the step forward into the 3-turn — it's easy to turn too soon and then you'll lose the tracking with your partner.

vCash
    Here's a good example, I think : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP1pT1YciWI

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane Mars View Post
    Here's a good example, I think : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP1pT1YciWI
    I think that is a good example too. They have very nice feet and they are in a good position on the turns. You feel comfortable watching them do that dance.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Also take care not to drop your shoulder and hip into the circle on each lobe, but let the edge do the work. It's really easy to collapse into that circle, and I used to see a lot of skaters making that mistake as they were learning the dance, especially if they'd never done figures (to learn the edge control without heaving the body around).

Good luck!

vCash
    i passed! it was the best pass i ever had, with all "goods". thank you to everyone for your help!

vCash
    i passed! it was the best pass i ever had, with all "goods". thank you to everyone for your help!
    CONGRATS !

vCash
    You are now officially an Ice Dancer! Congratulations!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Congrats!!!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Excellent!!! Congratulations. That dance is a tough one, so you should be very proud to get those ratings.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Congrats

vCash
    Well done and congratulations. Hard dance to do.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Congrats! I might pass it....some day....

vCash
    Congrats!