Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dupagegal View Post
    My reason for drawing attention to this has nothing to do with Jason silly girl. We at the rink all get quite tired of the Kori spin.
    What she said -

vCash
    Kori spin? What do you mean by that?

and btw "silly girl"? What about writing without childish personal attacks!!??

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    She's referring to the political spin, I'm assuming. Correct me if I'm wrong, but according to dupagegal: Kori Ade is telling people they are holding off on the 3Axel, and yet are practicing behind the scenes all the time. Correct?

And if so, I don't really see a conflict of interest between the two statements. Team Jason would be foolish NOT to work on it somewhat at this stage, but it was clearly a smart decision to leave it out of the program if it's not ready for prime time.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    My reason for drawing attention to this has nothing to do with Jason silly girl. We at the rink all get quite tired of the Kori spin.
    Funny how someone so hypersensitive has no problems calling other people names.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

enjoying neverland.
    vCash
    I was so glad to come upon this discussion, Jason definitely deserves his own thread after that skate!

I was absolutely blown away by his skate at nationals. The way he carries himself, and connects not only to the music but is able to bring the audience into his artistry is breathtaking. He got me out of my seat before he finished the program and brought tears to my eyes. I had never heard of him before seeing him live in the men's lp and I am so excited to watch his career progress. He's certainly one to watch.

vCash
    Jason was superb! Sadly, this is not the first time NBC has messed up! I also felt that Jonathan Cassar's free skate should have been shown (spread eagles to die for, plus a cute reaction in the K&C - he lost his chain during the short program, the flower sweepers couldn't find it, Jeremy was on next, and had to wait a bit, Parker Pennington was the "hero" and found the chain on center ice, so Jonathan's checking his chest for no chain during the free skate was related to that). The same for Amanda & Mark in Cleveland 2 years ago. They won the pewter medal then, had a very warm standing ovation from the audience, yet NBC never bothered to show their free skate (they starting airing the competition live after that). Go figure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I also felt that Jonathan Cassar's free skate should have been shown (spread eagles to die for,
    Any other thoughts on Jonathan?
    Was hoping his career would move forward roughly in tandem with Alissa's, but that's not the case.
    He has so much to offer, but his coaching change didn't have the same impact.
    What has to happen for him to get to the next level and really get noticed?
    This is OT, and maybe we need a separate Jonathan Cassar thread.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by geod2 View Post
    Any other thoughts on Jonathan?
    Was hoping his career would move forward roughly in tandem with Alissa's, but that's not the case.
    He has so much to offer, but his coaching change didn't have the same impact.
    What has to happen for him to get to the next level and really get noticed?
    How old is Jonathan? Does he have a triple / triple and atriple axel?

vCash
    Your wish is granted : http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...71#post3068471

vCash
    Jason Brown is a fantastic skater with great talent. I believe Rohene had a major role in Jason braking through to get confidence in his jumps. In fact I saw it.
    I posted earlier in this thread: "According to reliable hearsay info, Rohene Ward helped Brown get his 3Lz and 3F more consistent in the summer of 2009 prior to the Broadmoor Open that June when Brown's coach, Kori Ade, took some time off to get married."

Kori worked with him on the 3x for quite some time this year.
    Jason trained in Lake Arrowhead, Calif. this past summer (he competed in the LA Open last July) and spent some time in Colorado Springs as well, from what I've heard. So it makes sense to me that he's been working on the 3A but that it's just not ready for competition yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I posted earlier in this thread: "According to reliable hearsay info, Rohene Ward helped Brown get his 3Lz and 3F more consistent in the summer of 2009 prior to the Broadmoor Open that June when Brown's coach, Kori Ade, took some time off to get married."

Jason trained in Lake Arrowhead, Calif. this past summer (he competed in the LA Open last July) and spent some time in Colorado Springs as well, from what I've heard. So it makes sense to me that he's been working on the 3A but that it's just not ready for competition yet.
    Thank you, Sylvia, for more background.
    As with any sport, it often takes more than one coach/mentor/whoever to develop the athlete to their fullest potential.
    Quite often, the actual contribution of each one to the athlete's future is greater than their individual ability to describe what their training/developmental game plan is.....skill sets as a coach vs. skill sets as a publicist....

It's nice to have a diverse set of observers/fans/experts/etc. along the way to interpret what's happening.

-

vCash
    Jonathan Cassar planned a 3lz3t in the LP, but did a 3lz2t.
    He also planned a 3F2t2lp but actually did a 3f2t
    He did not plan a 3A, nor did he attempt one.

In the SP, he also neither planned nor executed a 3A.
    He planned a 3lz3t and did a UR 3lz without a combo, resulting in 17th place in the SP.

If Cassar doesn't get a 3A or a 3lz that's more reliable, he will not make top 5 or 6 at US Nationals, barring a complete splatfest by everyone else.

As he turned 24 in December, it is unlikely he is going to get a 3A at this point.

vCash
    Doris, could you please repost the above in the Jon Cassar thread I started? TIA. Then again, maybe not. Cassar's skating is not about the jumps, at least for me. ETA: Thanks for reposting, Doris.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 02-09-2011 at 07:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post

Thank you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    Btw, was Kori Ade a competitive skater herself?

She is really gorgeous looking.
    She was a skater, but not super competitive according to her interview on manleywoman's latest podcast. (It's an overall amazing episode of her podcast, by the way).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    For all of you new Kori Ade fans (Jason's coach) I did an interview with her at 2011 Nationals a few hours after the Men's Short Program. It's VERY interesting, and she really gets into the obstacles and outside pressures she had to overcome learning how to coach him from "march, march, glide" to the skater he is today. Give it a listen: http://www.manleywoman.com/ . I think her interview falls at around the 22 minute mark.
    Thank you, manleywoman. I really enjoyed your podcast. For people who want to listen to Kori Ade, her interview starts at about 34 minutes in.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    I don't follow men's skating much, but this thread was worth the effort.
    Dumb Question: why did it take a week after Nationals for this young man's performance to generate so much buzz on this board??? (or did I miss it?)
    Thank you Sylvia, for starting this thread.

... his best qualities...
    fluidity, precision, and confidence.
    He attacks his performance with no hesitation...knows exactly what he wants to do.
    Unlike some FSUers, I didn't get a sense of him outgrowing himself, physically or in style /content. If he can maintain his weight and flexibility as he matures, a future U.S. Men's championship is his for the asking.
    One thing, though....ditch the 1960's Woodstock hair and Star Trek uniform.
    A little image consulting would do wonders.
    But otherwise, Jason is amazing!
    (Uh...why is this thread in the Trash Can??)
    Agree with most of your thoughts, except not sure what you mean by "not getting a sense of him outgrowing himself ..." Did someone think Jason might grow in a way that would require him to make adjustments to his technique? Maturing is all part of the growth process. At age 16, Jason will be continuing to grow mentally, physically, technically, and artistically. I would definitely agree if you mean that his growth process will more than likely only strengthen and further hone the skills, style, and artistry he already possesses. I prefer though, especially in the case of young skaters, not to make bold pronouncements. Yes, he's surely headed in the right direction, but let's not do the same number on him that was done to Mirai and to Caroline Zhang. Let him grow and gain experience, polish, and rep at his own pace.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Agree with most of your thoughts, except not sure what you mean by "not getting a sense of him outgrowing himself ..."
    I was merely referring to what a couple of posters saw (listed below), but that I didn't.
    i.e. my comment was referring to where Jason is currently, not predicting how he'll grow or its effects on his skating (I could've worded it better).
    I'm not saying Auntie and DorisP are wrong...people see what they see.
    ITA with all the rest of your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    I really enjoyed Jason and my only (very slight) criticism is that there is something gangly about his lower arms/hands that I find distracting, specifically in the parts of his program where he does lots of fast arm waving. Maybe he's got a bit of a puppy thing going and just needs to grow into his hands.

Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Jason grew 4 or 5 inches this last year, so it's not surprising he has the "puppy hasn't quite grown into his paws yet" look.

vCash

Manleywoman

Please, more interviews. Has she done one with Rohene Ward? If not yet, please soon

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    I'm working on getting Rohene. Thanks.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast