Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 102
  1. #61
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Turzynbaeva is the new Gedevanishvili
    Posts
    8,468
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    very, very impressive

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    29
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I saw Jason perform in Greensboro. He caught my eye doing a split jump in the short program warm up, and I was hooked. Mom and I are still gushing about his skating!
    As we left after the long, I saw him surrounded by people, signing autographs and posing for pictures while his coach beamed with joy! It was really sweet. He has a bright future. Love this kid!

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Actually, he caught my attention when the first thing he did in warmup for the SP was do 3 walleys on one foot and go the length of the ice
    : :

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    the Rainbow State
    Age
    32
    Posts
    2,345
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    0
    I just watched his 2010 Junior LP to Pas de Deux, and I think his expression and overall skating is much more interesting this year than last year.

    Then again it might be because I think Pas de Deux is a horribly repetitive piece of music to use for an entire program. I hated that music even when Shen/Zhao and Sasha Cohen used it.

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,934
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33055
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Actually, he caught my attention when the first thing he did in warmup for the SP was do 3 walleys on one foot and go the length of the ice
    : :
    That would do it for me too.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  6. #66
    podcast mistress
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    Posts
    7,823
    vCash
    2367
    Rep Power
    4368
    For all of you new Kori Ade fans (Jason's coach) I did an interview with her at 2011 Nationals a few hours after the Men's Short Program. It's VERY interesting, and she really gets into the obstacles and outside pressures she had to overcome learning how to coach him from "march, march, glide" to the skater he is today. Give it a listen: http://www.manleywoman.com/ . I think her interview falls at around the 22 minute mark.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

  7. #67
    Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    near St Louis
    Posts
    16,057
    vCash
    24000
    Rep Power
    37422
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I would imagine growth spurts aren't as deadly to the guys as they are to the ladies. Men just get bigger and stronger but the girls bodies change in ways that a guy doesn't have to worry about.
    Ladies have it worse because their weight is redistributed when their hips and breasts start developing in puberty. The whole core of the body changes. But both ladies and gentleman skaters have problems with growing taller because the added height (and often time weight) changes the center of gravity.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,340
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I first saw Jason last year on youtube (his sp and lp from Junior Nats -- a great win for him). He's a wonderful young skater, who is definitely someone I'm eager to watch and excited about among the next generation of up-and-coming skaters. I also enjoyed Joshua Farris' programs from Junior Nats. Sad that Joshua hurt himself in practice, I believe, this year and unfortunately didn't perform well at his first Senior Nats.


    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    BY FAR my favorite on the men's side. He was a total throwback to the days before COP because he made everything flow seamlessly together! I didn't care if he did a 3axel or not because what he did do he did very very well. I could watch his program all day long. I have a feeling he is a big fan of Johnny Weir and Michelle Kwan. If he gets a 3axel then he could really challenge the best next year at Nationals.
    ITA -- it's great to see the depth in the men's field. The thing that distinguishes skaters like Jason B, Ross M, Richard D, Armin M, and some others is their musicality and the way they are learning how to overcome the strictures of CoP and to put together interesting programs with the necessary content, that also have substance, flow and great choreography, and not just throwing in everything but the kitchen sink for the sake of points. The challenge with CoP is making something beautiful and being strategic at the same time in getting in all that's necessary to gain the points, but to also have great choreography, musicality, and an artistic approach (i.e., love the story/ character that Dornbush reveals to Sherlock Holmes; and Miner's Casablanca). Was disappointed at NBC not showing Jason and Grant on the broadcast.

    When I first saw Jason, he put a spell on me... Ohhh his coach is right to guide him steady as he goes. I think she's smart to focus on fine-tuning Jason's basic skating skills rather than having him attempt a 3axel in his senior debut, when he's still trying to master that jump. Their dedication to each other is very special (definitely reminiscent of Brian B and his coach, Linda Leaver). Last year at Junior Nats, the commentators mentioned that Jason's coach went to the hospital to have her baby's birth induced so that she would be able to attend Nationals with Jason -- it was obviously an important Nationals for him. That is true dedication.

    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I really like Jason and think he has loads of potential. You really can't deny his similarities to Evan Lysacek though, I noticed it particularly in the great flexible spins, but they also jump and use their arms similarly. But it seems like Evan is his idol, so I think it's kinda cute he wants to be like him.
    IMHO, I can deny any similarities between Jason and Evan in terms of skating styles and movement over the ice. At his age, Jason is soooo far ahead of Evan at the same age, in terms of flow over the ice, artistic sensibility, graceful arms and musicality. IMHO, Evan never fully developed artistically and musically as a skater. Now, the thing is to see how Jason will progress with his jumps and his competitive skills. The main thing in common perhaps is that Evan and Jason are skaters from the Chicago area, and that Jason aspires to be an Olympic champion like Evan (but among up-and-coming skaters, who doesn't have that aspiration). I don't see anywhere Jason quoted as saying, "Evan is my idol." I root for Jason to go out there and continue doing his own thing -- gain inspiration from those who came before, but make his own unique impact. He's well on his way. Kudos to Jason, his coach, and his choreographer. And usfigureskating, please, hands-off this youngster -- allow him to develop fully and freely, with his ponytail if he desires, or with a Mohawk if he wants one, and without your and the media's hype, hoopla, costume critiques, and pitting him against one or more of his equally talented contemporaries.

    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Here is the article with the Evan comments. Forgive me, but it's Phil Hersh! That said, great article.
    ...
    Thanks for the link, though I usually try not to read Hersh, or if I do, it's usually with a grain of salt. On rare occasions, his tone and content may be worth reading, especially when he cuts down on the hyperbole, which he manages to some degree here (except for all the Evan/ Jason "aren't they so similar" comments -- especially that bit about height, as growth spurts are normal, but I doubt Jason is going to grow as tall as Evan). I can't help but cringe a bit thinking of the first time Jason has a bad comp at an important event, and the wrath of Hersh predicting doom and lamenting ..."these are my last words on this kid, because he's done for."


    Figure skating is a roller coaster. Let's just take it easy and enjoy the ride ... have patience, celebrate with Jason, allow him to grow, to fail, to learn, to be himself without laying on too many expectations, and bad-mouthing him if things don't stay on the track we wish for him. In a way, maybe it's a good thing Jason wasn't shown on television in his senior debut. And for Ross, Richard, and veteran Ryan (the three R's), have fun in Tokyo, you all deserve it. Don't put any extra pressure on yourselves ... i.e., don't listen to nervous fs fans.

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,962
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7850
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post

    Their dedication to each other is very special (definitely reminiscent of Brian B and his coach, Linda Leaver). Last year at Junior Nats, the commentators mentioned that Jason's coach went to the hospital to have her baby's birth induced so that she would be able to attend Nationals with Jason -- it was obviously an important Nationals for him. That is true dedication.

    That is so, so wrong that I can't even begin to get my head wrapped around it.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    Posts
    7,785
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19516
    Constructive comments: He needs a new hair style.

    Other than that, I think he should just keep on the same path.

  11. #71

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Skateland
    Posts
    7,841
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I rewatched Jason's 2011 nationals SP and LP this weekend and...WOW! He is so light, musical, clean. I hope that he maintains these qualities as he progresses on the international scene.

    By the way, my other faves among the "early men" not shown on NBC were Scott Dyer (so musical! gorgeous edges! shame about his SP error or he would have ended higher overall), Wes Campbell (so tall & elegant) and Jonathan Cassar (the man who'll never-ever wear an accessory again while skating).

  12. #72

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Usually in the D/W thread
    Posts
    5,079
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    585
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post

    That is so, so wrong that I can't even begin to get my head wrapped around it.
    Well, I can tell you that many women have inductions for lesser reasons than that...

    His ponytail is fine, imo, why not have a style that gets you noticed? Of course, his skating is speaking just fine for itself.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    "Winterpeg"
    Posts
    4,835
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    Well, I can tell you that many women have inductions for lesser reasons than that...
    Sorry but I just can't resist... I was induced because the doctor was going away on vacation and he had an opening on a convenient weekend to get the job done so my mom wouldn't have to change doctors. Because it was a weekend mom-in-law was available to come and stay with the older siblings.... All my life I have felt that I was probably born in the wrong zodiac sign as I ended up in the last days of one sign and many in my family were in the next sign. Now with this possible shift in zodiac dates I am actually firmly in the middle of the same sign I was born in - who knew.

  14. #74

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Back to skating!
    Age
    36
    Posts
    17,416
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2755
    Loved him.
    I saw him first on the JGP this season but like Floskate wasn't wowed there - maybe because of the performance that day or maybe because of the tiny screen.

    What I loved especially is his jumps out of nowhere. Normally you see ten minutes before if a skater sets up for a jump but twice in his program he completely surprised me and just jumped in the air out of fantastic transitions.

    I also love how close he seems with his coach and how dedicated they both seem to be to his progress.

    What I would suggest (and maybe he does it already) is for him to go to other coaches for a few weeks in summer just to get additional feedback and training. This benefits almost every skater and for him it can be a new fresh incentive and maybe a way to learn the harder jumps.

    All in all - I cannot wait to see him develop.

    And I even like his nerdy ponytail.

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Back to skating!
    Age
    36
    Posts
    17,416
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2755
    Btw, was Kori Ade a competitive skater herself?

    She is really gorgeous looking.

  16. #76
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    Posts
    2,451
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    The skater to watch.

    Brown reminds me of the first time I saw the young Stephane Lambiel skate at Europeans in 2001. He screams potential.

    Brown's tight jump rotation indicates to me that the triple axel and the quad toe won't be far away, either.

  17. #77
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    556
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I'm glad that Japanese TV (JSports Plus) bought the rights to televise 2011 US Nationals in Japan -- link to a video of Jason Brown's Senior FS from their broadcast:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFVz7WJgkK0
    Your thoughts? (Please include in your post if this is your first time seeing this young skater or when you first saw him skate. )
    I don't follow men's skating much, but this thread was worth the effort.
    Dumb Question: why did it take a week after Nationals for this young man's performance to generate so much buzz on this board??? (or did I miss it?)
    Thank you Sylvia, for starting this thread.

    Since you asked....
    From the very first notes of the music, I was instantly transported back to Shizuka's FS at Torino....a very magical and happy thought, and good start for me.
    At the point where she did that purrrrrrfect Ina Bauer, Jason's version changed pace into something very interesting, and what really brought out his best qualities...
    fluidity, precision, and confidence.
    He attacks his performance with no hesitation...knows exactly what he wants to do.
    Unlike some FSUers, I didn't get a sense of him outgrowing himself, physically or in style /content.
    If he can maintain his weight and flexibility as he matures, a future U.S. Men's championship is his for the asking.
    One thing, though....ditch the 1960's Woodstock hair and Star Trek uniform.
    A little image consulting would do wonders.
    But otherwise, Jason is amazing!

    (Uh...why is this thread in the Trash Can??)
    .
    Last edited by geod2; 02-08-2011 at 11:50 AM.

  18. #78
    Awaiting Validation
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    addison
    Posts
    170
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    OK for the record her I have to say something.
    Jason Brown is a fantastic skater with great talent. I believe Rohene had a major role in Jason braking through to get confidence in his jumps. In fact I saw it.

    As for The comments that Kori is not working on the 3x with him because he is young and she does not want him to have hip replacements at an early age is complete shiznit.

    Kori worked with him on the 3x for quite some time this year. In fact he is 2 footing it. Period and I don't like the spin I hear. And Im not talking about the rotation of the jump.

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    556
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dupagegal View Post
    OK for the record her I have to say something.
    Jason Brown is a fantastic skater with great talent. I believe Rohene had a major role in Jason braking through to get confidence in his jumps. In fact I saw it.

    As for The comments that Kori is not working on the 3x with him because he is young and she does not want him to have hip replacements at an early age is complete shiznit.

    Kori worked with him on the 3x for quite some time this year. In fact he is 2 footing it. Period and I don't like the spin I hear. And Im not talking about the rotation of the jump.

    OK, a very interesting, exciting, and talented, 17 y.o. mens figure skater isn't quite ready for a 3X...your reason for drawing attention to this fact is more relevant than why he isn't quite "3X-ready" at age (barely) 17...
    Your point would be???
    WTF???

    .
    Last edited by geod2; 02-08-2011 at 12:49 PM.

  20. #80
    Awaiting Validation
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    addison
    Posts
    170
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    My reason for drawing attention to this has nothing to do with Jason silly girl. We at the rink all get quite tired of the Kori spin.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •