Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I'm seriously laughing at reply 239 and 240 lol

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Screenie View Post
    For the first time in 40 years, the entire Skate Canada team sent to Vancouver, was 100 percent heterosexual male - all talking (bragging) about their heterosexuality in public.
    I guess the team was more macho than the 2006 trio of Sandhu/Buttle/Sawyer, but I don't remember any of the Canadian male skaters in Vancouver bragging about their heterosexuality. Chan was bragging about lots of other things, but nothing like that. Even with the pairs and dance, I remember an acknowledgment that Langlois/Hay were dating and that Moir had a girlfriend (but that was more about addressing the speculation that he was with Virtue), but nothing like what they describe.

I thought that type of stuff was more pronounced in the coverage of the US skaters, but maybe that's because I'm in the US and saw more of the Access Hollywood type fluff covering American skaters. But as a non-Canadian, I didn't see that coming out of Skate Canada at all. I do remember Elvis making a lot of comments about sequins and things, but, well, it's Elvis.

If that is really one of the reasons Buttle retired then how incredibly stooooopid of them, because he would've been a bigtime contender for gold. And good for him if he stood up for himself. That whole story is sickening, if true.

vCash
    Is LC posting at Datalounge, because that comment about banning gay posters sounds like something that would come from him.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

vCash
    They called Adam a "twink". I assume that's not a good thing.

Watch me move
    vCash
    For their silence, EGALE Canada was sold a crock of lemons about a Gay House. Later, the IOC never officially acknowledged Gay House. Gay House became nothing more than an office front in the city, during the Olympics, that gays visiting for the Olympics were encouraged to drop by. Very few showed up, as it never got any official association with, or promotion by, the IOC. The Canadian Gay community got sucker punched.
    If this person doesn't even know that it was called "Pride House" and not "Gay House" then then the rest of what they have to say is pretty questionable. Yes, the IOC did not officially acknowledge it, but on the other hand Mark Tewksbury (Olympic swimming gold medalist and former IOC athlete rep) promoted Pride House and was still allowed to participate in the official Olympic events. So it wasn't like the IOC was blacklisting anyone involved with it. And I heard that although no Olympic athletes showed up, it was still a popular place to hang out.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    I've read the whole thread (plus "Homophobia in figure skating") and I'm really amused . Even though I feel for some of the skaters mentioned there (poor Rachael!).
    The comment on banning gay members on FSU did crack me up . The same with a comment on Sasha Cohen that she's a "female Boitano"...

vCash
    "For the Gala I recommend Johnny Weir VS Evan Lysacek in mud wrestling. Come on, it would put ratings through the roof!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    FSU apparently bans gay posters.
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    I know, that was beyond
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    FSU apparently bans gay posters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanna View Post
    We're here! We're queer! We are unimpressed by transitionless programs!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post

I also love the comment about staying away from FSU because they ban gay people. Seriously? Talk about not having a clue.
    Uhhhh, not that I know everything about FSU history, or why DL feels as they do ... but maybe their feeling has something to do with all the smugness and snarking directed toward Johnny Weir here. Yes, I know FSU has a lot of equal opportunity snarking that goes on, but ... the above comments seem a bit like protesting too much. Is it really just all about not liking "transitionless programs." Based on some of the threads and comments I've seen here, I don't think so. Of course, there's no "banning of gay posters" here, but there sure is a lot of dislike directed toward noncomformist flamboyant diva-types who don't live up to everyone's exacting expectations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Uhhhh, not that I know everything about FSU history, or why DL feels as they do ... but maybe their feeling has something to do with all the smugness and snarking directed toward Johnny Weir here. Yes, I know FSU has a lot of equal opportunity snarking that goes on, but ... the above comments seem a bit like protesting too much. Is it really just all about not liking "transitionless programs." Based on some of the threads and comments I've seen here, I don't think so. Of course, there's no "banning of gay posters" here, but there sure is a lot of dislike directed toward noncomformist flamboyant diva-types who don't live up to everyone's exacting expectations.
    To beat the dead horse: flamboyant does not equal gay. Artistic does not equal gay.

A crap program without transitions does not equal straight.

People who didn't like Weir's skating are not automatically homophobes. Don't assume the annoyance with him is over his sexual orietnation. It could be, shockingly!, over what he actually does on the ice. Or, you know, people who don't believe that "just being honest!" is all nice and refreshing, instead of rude and sometimes assholic.

Weir annoyed me for years because of his lack of progress, by his zzz programs, by the fact that he kept doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results (does he know how to count to three?) ... oh and because he played a damn game with the media over his sexual orientation, which pisses me off as someone who's had to deal with both the closet and how terrifying it can be to come out of it: it's not a game, dammit. this shit gets people hurt.

I was a Weir fan. He lost me with what he did on the ice. And he kept me lost with what he did off of it. For the last couple years, it's like he hasn't even wanted to compete, he just wanted to use his career to boost his fashion/off-ice career/whatever. It's all Johnny Weir The Brand. That's nice and all, but that's not why I watch figure skating. I ain't interested in Celebrity For The Sake Of Being A Celebrity.

But, mostly, it's his zzzz programs with music so boring a hyperactive fish woudl fall asleep, the lack of choreography, the lack of transitions, and the way his jumps and everything else just degraded.

Oh, and AfterElton pissed me off during the Olympics for being all "Weir is so persecuted! Because he's gay! And no one else could possibly be an artist and no we've never heard of Abbott" Also, all the people who decided Weir was gay, not because of any notion that he fit the definition, but because he fit the Fabulous Gay Stereotype.
    Last edited by Lanna; 02-08-2011 at 01:58 AM.
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

vCash
    People who didn't like Weir's skating are not automatically homophobes. Don't assume the annoyance with him is over his sexual orietnation. It could be, shockingly!, over what he actually does on the ice. Or, you know, people who don't believe that "just being honest!" is all nice and refreshing, instead of rude and sometimes assholic.
    THANK YOU. Just because some of us are not Johnny fans, doesn't make us homophobes. Plenty of other gay male skaters that plenty of other users on this board like. That argument is irrelevant.

I was a Weir fan. He lost me with what he did on the ice. And he kept me lost with what he did off of it. For the last couple years, it's like he hasn't even wanted to compete, he just wanted to use his career to boost his fashion/off-ice career/whatever. It's all Johnny Weir The Brand. That's nice and all, but that's not why I watch figure skating. I ain't interested in Celebrity For The Sake Of Being A Celebrity.
    I feel this way too.

vCash
    Thanks for sharing..I was ...thought I heard it all but Michelle Republikwan?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JILEN View Post
    Thanks for sharing..I was ...thought I heard it all but Michelle Republikwan?
    You didn't know she was a Republican supporter? She didn't keep it a secret.

I wonder if gays outnumbered straights in the Men's event at US Nats. I can count at least 11 homos.

vCash
    Michelle Republikwan Love it!

vCash
    For the first time in 40 years, the entire Skate Canada team sent to Vancouver, was 100 percent heterosexual male - all talking (bragging) about their heterosexuality in public.

ABC World News exposed it, April 30th, 2009 but Skate Canada basically ignored the ABC story. The Canadian gay media was under extreme pressure from the Prime Ministers office and the IOC, to stay away from the Olympics and publicly said nothing about it.
    Hmmm - IMO the idea that there might be at least some truth to this might be the only explanation for Vaughn Chipeur being sent to the Olympics over Kevin Reynolds and Shawn Sawyer.

Yes I know he beat them at Nationals - but that in itself is highly questionable - seeing that his PCS were way beyond what he ever received internationally and the others were either on par or below for the most part - no Nats inflation. I would have rather seen either of the other 2 go and I am sure either of them would have done far better at the Olympics.

However, I watched a great deal of coverage and don't remember a ton of them talking about their sexuality in public - other than the talk of Scott and Jessica dating and NOT Scott and Tessa.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I wonder if gays outnumbered straights in the Men's event at US Nats. I can count at least 11 homos.
    Um .... OK .... I mean .... well .... How exactly did you count them?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    Um .... OK .... I mean .... well .... How exactly did you count them?
    It was probably the trail of pixie dust they left that gave them away.

vCash
    @Lanna #29

Such smugness, such self-righteousness, such protestations. Yes, so other than Johnny being a zzzzz math-challenged, Fabulous Gay Sterotype Celeb Fashionista with boring music, crap programs, degraded jumps and delusional fans, what is it about him that really pisses you off and makes you go bonkers?

@ryanbfan #30

I don't think your namesake is as intolerant of Johnny as you are. Yep, plenty of other gay male skaters who know how to keep a low profile and conform to what is expected. And now that Johnny Weir has gone through the fire and paid the heavy price for being too rebellious and too outspoken and too out there (yes, Lanna, this shit does hurt alright), there's been a kind of loosening of the strictures and macho pretenses. Of course there's always been a down low acceptance of being gay in fs because there simply are a lot of gay people in the sport. Post Johnny Weir, there is a more relaxed attitude toward "flamboyant" costumes and expressing one's creativity on the ice so long as you're not Johnny Weir and you keep your personal life underwraps off the ice.

vCash

Does it really matter?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    snip
    So, basically, you're not going to be happy unless people say that they are don't like Johnny because he is gay, even if they have stated other perfectly valid reasons in their posts that have nothing to do with homophobia?

vCash
    You didn't know she was a Republican supporter? She didn't keep it a secret.
    First off, I don't really care what party Michelle supports, but has she ever made a statement about her affiliation? I thought she just kept it private (which is usually smart). On the link that was posted, some of the commenters said she's Republican, some said she isn't, etc. I didn't realize that she had ever gone public with it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast