Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dogs at Work?

vCash
    I'm sure this policy would work for some people, but not for me. I like dogs, but these things can be a slippery slope - once you establish that kind of policy, then you have to let everyone and anyone bring their dog. And I'm sorry, but some dog breeds smell really bad!

And why stop at dogs - why not let people bring their cats and rabbits too?
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

gold dust woman
    vCash
    I like dogs--I was scared of them as a kid, mostly due to my neighbors having a black Standard Poodle that was much larger than I was. But I don't think I'd want them in my workplace on a regular basis.

One of my coworkers snuck her Jack Russell terrier puppy in to work one day, and that was super cute. But I wouldn't want a puppy nearby every day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Um, yes, it has "occured to me." Which is why I said if the dog is well trained and if the work environment allows it. Obviously it's not universally doable.

It sounded to me like you were advocating that work environments should allow it b/c in your opinion, it's good for dogs and the work environment. I got the impression that you weren't thinking too much about the affects on people, specifically the people who for a variety of reasons would not be able to have a dog in their workplace.

And as others have said, "well-trained" means different things to different people and it's impossible to have rules for good dog owners vs bad, whatever that means to each person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rvi5 View Post
    My brother's step-daughter is uncomfortable (not terrified) with large dogs. She grew up never owning a dog, just cats. Her lack of exposure to dogs is what makes her uncomfortable. She is OK being in my home with my Dobes, but becomes afraid if they make sudden moves.

There is a HUGE difference between being terrified of dogs and being uncomfortable around dogs.

I am just as terrified as Numbers, I saw myself in everything she wrote. I never liked dogs, even when I was a little girl. It took until I was 28 to fully remember the reason that I am petrified of them. When I was 7, my cousin's dog jumped onto my lap and almost bit me. I was doing nothing when that dog jumped up. From that point on, it absolutely petrified me to have a dog anywhere near me. I grew up in a rural area, and every single year we had dogs end up on our school property. My friends knew that I would start to lose it the moment I saw the dog, so they would usually pet the dog, while I quickly walked past it into the building.

In my opinion, you don't understand it unless you feel this level of terror. On a purely intellectual level, I get that your dog is not going hurt me. But you know what, inside I'm still the frightened 7 year old who was almost bitten by her cousin's dog.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    It sounded to me like you were advocating that work environments should allow it b/c in your opinion, it's good for dogs and the work environment. I got the impression that you weren't thinking too much about the affects on people, specifically the people who for a variety of reasons would not be able to have a dog in their workplace.
    The work environment includes the people in it, obviously. If it's just dogs running around an empty office, there's no issue.

Black & white responses serve neither side of the argument.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    are you a psychologist? I remember in the 70's that was a widely held view, expose the person to their fear and it will get better. In fact, I was assigned to go after an OCD patient who was so exact about time he would correct all the clocks in the unit. I had to go around and change the time on clocks to "expose" him to different clocks/times. Of course it didn't work for either of us.
    No amount of exposure to dogs will decrease my fear. As if I haven't try - the kids wanted dogs when they were growing up. They have the gentlest of dogs. Accept you like dogs, you think that everyone should like/love dogs. Not everyone will agree with you.
    At least you're aware of it. You're right - not everyone is okay being around dogs. And there's nothing wrong with that, unless you get all diva about it and inconvenience everyone else because you don't want to see a dog anywhere in your sight.

I had a friend come over in HS for a project, and for some reason she completely neglected to let me know that she was afraid of dogs. So once there was the initial freakout once we opened the door, we had to lock the dog outside because she couldn't stand having the dog inside. For hours. He was NOT a happy dog, and my mom was upset because we had to lock her baby outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    I have lived with the fear of certain dogs and I think the biggest problem with having dogs in the office is the behaviour of the dog owners. Some are respectful of people's phobias and allergies, some are not. Some will let their dog run around and disturb people, some will not. It's hard to have a policy that says only good dog owners can bring their dogs...
    Oh, I'm a dog lover and I completely agree with you. Our dog is a sweetheart around people, has never snapped at a person in his entire life, but he is extremely dog aggressive. We cannot take him to dog parks, and we have to be vigilant whenever we walk him. For some reason most dog owners have their dogs go up and sniff whatever is walking their direction, and we have to tell them that they can't do that with our dog. And yet some of them still want to try, until our dog tries to attack.

Hey dudes, there's a REASON why we TELL YOU full stop that our dog is dog-aggressive and that you should keep a distance! Some people are just really dense.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Desperado View Post
    It's hard to have a policy that says only good dog owners can bring their dogs...

same thing goes for taking your child to work

I havent yet seen anyone's dog take the fax machine apart and then throw the parts in the pond outside
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    I agree that children should not be in the workplace either. I have had a number of conferences that I coordinated that people wanted to bring their child too, since they would have to pay for childcare or they were breastfeeding or any number of other things. My answer was always no. People paid to come to this conference and they deserve to get a quiet, child free, environment.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Seems insane to expect to bring kids to a conference, but there are times where children, like dogs, are not a problem at work.

And before anyone freaks out that I just equated human children and dogs - yes, I in fact did. They're equally adorable and important to their persons and can be equally awful to be around when you don't like them and/or can't work with them around. And they both smell bad a lot of the time
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    One or two well-behaved and potty trained mutts are fun to have around at work, but any more than that and the work place becomes a smelly, noisy fur flying mess.

Do dogs really fart? Like human?
    Oh, my, you are a fortunate person who has not witnessed this. . .

vCash
    NOT.NOT.NOT. I can not believe that you suggest this as a "solution"

from the second thread my post:
    I don't know of any dog or non dog employer policies, but I do have a comment or two.

I am terrified by dogs - little dogs, medium dogs, big dogs. Doesn't matter. For some of you that seems to be an irrational fear. For me it is a real fear rooted in what I don't know. All my kids have dogs - I am on edge everytime I am at their houses. It is like being on a roller coaster at the top and never knowing when you will drop. I absolutely freak out when the dogs want to kiss/slobber all over me. And when the kids kiss their dogs.
    I also have asthma and the shedding on the furiture, etc. - unless I run around with a portable washstand, I will inadvertently rub my eyes/nose and then start wheezing. So for me, I would need to seriously consider another place of employment. Yes - I know that there are major studies that indicate how much your quality of life is with your pets in the workplace or even as a companion for an elderly or house bound person. I am most likely the exception rather than the norm.
    I am totally with you on this. When I was dating before I got married, I wouldn't even date someone with a dog. It is not something I would negotiate on at any cost.

I worked during high school at a law office where the daughter of one of the lawyers would bring by her dog when she wanted to go on vacation without him. It soon became a joke that as the dog came in the front door I was leaving through the employee entrance. At that time I was still learning English. I remember every English word that I knew would just fly out of my head whenever that young woman came in with that dog.

I personally wouldn't care if there was a treatment/cure for my phobia. I have no use for dogs at all. I would never consider working or doing business with any place that allowed them there.

vCash
    Just to share some random thoughts - I never would have taken my dog to work because she would have been uncomfortable with all the other people there. She was always shy around strangers. I don't think it would have been enjoyable for her to stay in the corner of the cube under the desk. She would have had to follow me to the copier, and other people's cubicles and the bathroom! She didn't even like going to the pet store.

One year when I was off the day after Thanksgiving, I had an appointment to take her in for her shots. I was also scheduled that day to pick up our skating dress brochures from the printer. I told them I'd be there as soon as I dropped Sadie off. They said I could bring her with me, so I did. And she did fine.

Many years later, a few weeks after my mom died, one of the ladies in the office brought her new Yorkie puppy in to meet everyone on her day off. She ended up standing around talking and taking care of some things while her puppy slept in my lap while I worked. That was the sweetest thing to do! And my boss was fine with it. I even took the puppy outside to go in the grass. Obviously, if I worked somewhere where people could bring their dogs in whenever they wanted, I would not get any work done!!!

It's hard for me to comment on not liking or being afraid of dogs. I just can't imagine it. "Goggie" was my second word, after "Dada". "Mommy" was the third! I didn't even have a teddy bear till I was 14. I only ever wanted stuffed dogs. But I really, really can't stand cats, so there you are...........

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    I personally wouldn't care if there was a treatment/cure for my phobia. I have no use for dogs at all. I would never consider working or doing business with any place that allowed them there.
    Word to this and all of the other posts expressing fear. When I'm near an unleashed dog, no matter how small and friendly, I feel like someone has gone into my chest and grabbed my heart, and I can't breathe. My instinct is to run but I know I have to stand still so it won't attack. If the dog comes up to me and starts sniffing or licking near my legs, I am totally disgusted. Even when the dog is on a leash, I still get nervous and try to walk on the other side of the street.

I don't visit anyone's home if they have a dog, period. There are relatives I haven't visited in years. I can't count how many times they promised the dog would be put away, only for it to be running around 5 minutes later and then I have to leave. I'm not trying to be a diva. I realize they want the dog to be part of the festivities, and that's fine, I will choose not to go. I can't feel comfortable if the dog is around.

I don't feel like I need to be cured either. I have had so many people tell me that their dogs are "well trained" and "friendly" and I'm being ridiculous not wanting to touch them. But then I see scratches all over their kids' arms from playing with the dog. Or I hear that the dog bit some people on the finger when they tried to pet/feed that dog. No, that's not deadly, but why should I risk getting bitten and scratched just to pet something that I do not want to, and in fact find gross? I don't think it's irrational at all.

One time a family member came to pick up her kids at my house and had the new puppy in the car. They begged me to let the puppy come in so they could stay a few more minutes, and I said absolutely not. So they decided to play with it outside for a while. 2 minutes later it pooped on my neighbor's lawn. So yeah, I'm glad that wasn't my carpet. That particular dog has peed and pooped on the carpets of everyone in my family except me.

So obviously it would be a dealbreaker in the workplace for me. Even if I weren't afraid of them, there would still be numerous problems associated with having dogs in a workplace, IMO... barking, smells, messes, people taking too many breaks to walk the dog (something I can easily see people abusing).

Re-registered User
    vCash
    I used to like dogs. But when I had my first child, we had a dog of our own, and were foster-owners to my sister's dog while she was getting her life back on track. We were living in my mother-in-law's yard, and she had three dogs, who preferred my trailer to her house.

I was breastfeeding my baby... a dog would want out...a dog would want in... a dog would want out...a dog would want in...a dog would throw up on my carpet...a dog would want in...a dog would want out...a dog would want in...a dog would bark under my window at 5am...a dog would want out...

Logically, I can remember how petting a dog felt relaxing, but being near a dog has made me instantly stressed and anxious for the last 20 years.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post

I havent yet seen anyone's dog take the fax machine apart and then throw the parts in the pond outside
    No, but they might hike up their leg and pee on it...
    Last edited by nubka; 02-04-2011 at 03:15 AM.
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Doesn't sound like they are any fun at home either. Why do you have them in the first place?
    I love them. I was raised on a farm and have had dogs my entire life (resuced a few too, and found good homes for them.) Cleaning up dog hair, brushing their teeth, cleaning up after their potty messes, etc., come with the territory (along with the companionship and fun times,) but I sure wouldn't want to do that at work. I love my children dearly, but wouldn't want to take them to work either...
    Nubka - Unpaid Slave Laborer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post

I agree that children should not be in the workplace either. I have had a number of conferences that I coordinated that people wanted to bring their child too, since they would have to pay for childcare or they were breastfeeding or any number of other things. My answer was always no. People paid to come to this conference and they deserve to get a quiet, child free, environment.
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Seems insane to expect to bring kids to a conference, but there are times where children, like dogs, are not a problem at work.

And before anyone freaks out that I just equated human children and dogs - yes, I in fact did. They're equally adorable and important to their persons and can be equally awful to be around when you don't like them and/or can't work with them around. And they both smell bad a lot of the time
    I was getting to the point, reading this thread, where I wanted to suggest that people replace the word 'dog' with 'children.' As much as I love both, I don't believe either are appropriate in most workplaces.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    I have been struggling with this issue myself at work as one of the staff has been bringing her dog in one day a week when we don't have any clients coming in (social service agency). To this point it hasn't been an issue but I would rather not create yet another policy over this if nobody has complained? I think if someone complains to me then I will ask her not to bring the dog in - but at this point we all kind of look forward to him coming in He's really cute

e.t.a. we also do the same with staff - kids.. if its a pd day or they are off school - as long as we don't have clients ..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ArtisticFan View Post
    Artistic Fan, I hope you never lose your eyesight, become confined to a wheelchair, have an autistic child or live on a farm - all situations which merit from the engagement of a working dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherub 721
    I have had so many people tell me that their dogs are "well trained" and "friendly" and I'm being ridiculous not wanting to touch them. But then I see scratches all over their kids' arms from playing with the dog. Or I hear that the dog bit some people on the finger when they tried to pet/feed that dog. No, that's not deadly, but why should I risk getting bitten and scratched just to pet something that I do not want to, and in fact find gross? I don't think it's irrational at all.
    Um, most dog owners do not think it's acceptable for their dog to bite people on the fingers and train that behaviour out of the dog.

As to scratches - if kids engage with dog's claws, they will get scratched. But you're inferring that the dogs are doing something aggressive with the kids to scratch them. Again, not a behaviour most owners allow.

One time a family member came to pick up her kids at my house and had the new puppy in the car. They begged me to let the puppy come in so they could stay a few more minutes, and I said absolutely not. So they decided to play with it outside for a while. 2 minutes later it pooped on my neighbor's lawn. So yeah, I'm glad that wasn't my carpet. That particular dog has peed and pooped on the carpets of everyone in my family except me.
    Seems to me the problem is the people you know, Cupid.

Most dog owners wouldn't bring a puppy that wasn't house-broken into a friend or relative's home unless the puppy was really welcome and the person was okay with an accident happening. A pup can be alone in a car for more than a few minutes unless it's really hot, and can also be tied on a rope outside.

Dog owners know better than anyone else that pups which aren't housebroken can make a mess.

If your family members don't want untrained pups doing their business on their carpets, well, then they really need to learn to set some boundaries.

YEAH!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Um, most dog owners do not think it's acceptable for their dog to bite people on the fingers and train that behaviour out of the dog.

As to scratches - if kids engage with dog's claws, they will get scratched. But you're inferring that the dogs are doing something aggressive with the kids to scratch them. Again, not a behaviour most owners allow.
    I'm not implying that the dog is doing something aggressive. The dog is doing what dogs do. And that's fine - to some people, snuggling with the dog is worth getting scratched. But it's not worth to me because I don't like dogs, so I choose not to be around them and pet them and I don't see anything wrong with that. I'm not judging dog owners at all.

I am sure many/most owners do take steps to train the dog not to scratch and bite, but my examples were to illustrate that not all do, and in fact some people represent their dogs as friendly and harmless when they are not. To them, maybe a little bite on the finger is not a big deal because the benefits of playing with the dog outweigh those minor risks. I don't think it should be my due diligence to figure out which owners are "good owners" and "bad owners." Especially not in the workplace where that could create drama. I really hate it when people pressure me about a dog, because the dog is small or "nice" and they think I'm being irrational.

ETA: Try to see it in the context of someone who is terrified of dogs. To someone who feels calmness and peace when a dog is around, as I understand many do, maybe this is hard to contextualize. As I posted above, when I'm around a dog, I feel like my heart stops and I can't breathe or think. And then someone is telling me that's not a big deal and I should just pet their adorable little dog. Even though I see that it has teeth and claws, they are telling me that I should just trust them, because the dog is "nice." Even though I know that others have told me their dog is "nice" and the dog has still bitten people. They're asking me to overcome really intense feelings to do something I don't want to do anyway, and that I find kind of icky on top of it. I have no way of knowing if they're right or wrong that the dog won't bite me, and again even if it didn't, petting it or being around it gives me no pleasure it all. It just makes me tense.

Most dog owners wouldn't bring a puppy that wasn't house-broken into a friend or relative's home unless the puppy was really welcome and the person was okay with an accident happening.
    Again, I'm not saying all dog owners do this. I just don't want to (and am an not qualified to) be the arbiter of who is a good owner and a bad owner.
    Last edited by Cherub721; 02-04-2011 at 12:03 PM.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast