Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Alissa and Nancy's "worried face" and the fug deduction

Who is this guy and what is he on? Love the deduction for not being cute quote.
    Michael Buckley is one of the most popular comedians on YouTube, and he's also an avid skater/skating fan. I believe he skated at the same rink Jennifer Kirk trained at in Massachusetts and he's also friends with Gregory/Pethukov. There's a lot more skating competition reviews on his profile. Look up his 2008 Nats review. It's a gem.

vCash
    I like this review!
    at 'SHIBUTINIS' and Nancy Kerrigan's WORRIED face

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    I used to be like that, but when I realised he was part Jerry Lewis, part David Wilson, he'd make the most fabulous skating commentator.
    That is a pretty accurate description of him!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    There's a lot more skating competition reviews on his profile. Look up his 2008 Nats review. It's a gem.
    And here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-khNyVbgNY8

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    Agree... Marley/Brubaker just weirds me out. I'm sorry.
    I think MaryBeth Marley was adorable. I thought it was cute how she looked at Rockne's feet when skating onto the ice to remember how to pose. Too cute!
    Quote Originally Posted by leafygreens View Post
    Odd video.

I'll give them all kinds of kudos and slack for this year. She has come a looong way in a very short time. BUT next year, I really would like to see a different look from them. A MATURE SENIOR team: hair, makeup, choreography. The whole package needs to be more mature. But a great start for them.

Parts of Buck's review were pretty funny.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    BUT next year, I really would like to see a different look from them. A MATURE SENIOR team: hair, makeup, choreography. The whole package needs to be more mature. But a great start for them..
    This. If they make Mary Beth into a woman and not a little girl, it could really reshape my opinion. However after Nationals it just weirded me out because it looked like Rockne was skating with his daughter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    This. If they make Mary Beth into a woman and not a little girl, it could really reshape my opinion. However after Nationals it just weirded me out because it looked like Rockne was skating with his daughter.

I hope they're going to get a lot more competition experience under their belts before next season -- she looked lost out there, which didn't help the appearance. If she moved with more confidence and assertion it would look a lot better. (Keauna had that part down pat.)

But the more scraggly Rockne allows the hair/beard to get, the older he looks and that doesn't help either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    I'm smelling a contest, give your recipe for a Shibutini

Mine:

1 part gin
    1 part (grain) vodka
    1/2 part Limoncello
    1.2 part 7up, sprite or tonic (lush's choice)
    Twist of lime
    For my Shibutini, I'll substitute the Limoncello with Melon Liqueur.

I can't stop shouting SHIBUTINI!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Who is this guy and what is he on?
    Quote Originally Posted by IceJunkie View Post
    Michael Buckley is one of the most popular comedians on YouTube, and he's also an avid skater/skating fan. I believe he skated at the same rink Jennifer Kirk trained at in Massachusetts and he's also friends with Gregory/Pethukov. There's a lot more skating competition reviews on his profile. Look up his 2008 Nats review. It's a gem.
    This. He also knows Abbott & Nagasu & he banters back & forth with them on Twitter, which is amusing at times. He also did recaps of Skating with the Stars, one of which was filmed with G/P. And some of the things he says about fs makes me think he reads FSU, because some of his opinions sound very very familiar. Yeah, a lot of things he talks about are for younger people (Bieber & Miley), but he snarks on them pretty heavily, so I can overlook the topics.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Really and truly....????It didn't look like Rockne was skating with his daughter by any stretch of the imagination. He looked like he was a college frat guy presenting a high school underaged child at the latest party. Seriously, I think both of these skaters are wonderful, and I really hope this child's coaches and parents can groom this fetus into a more womanly character before the next comp. I think she's delightful, but the only thing that went through my mind throughout their whole performance was, "How much money does this girl's father have in order to secure such a fantastic partner for his little girl?" I know good chunk-a-chick men are at a premium in this country, and Rockne seem to be prime meat.

But hey-I am hoping they will develop into something fantastic! Really-what looks funny now will be lovely in two years-I hope.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Holley Calmes View Post
    ...but the only thing that went through my mind throughout their whole performance was, "How much money does this girl's father have in order to secure such a fantastic partner for his little girl?" I know good chunk-a-chick men are at a premium in this country, and Rockne seem to be prime meat.
    Did you read any of the threads about them as they got together at the end of the summer? Rockne asked Mary Beth to skate with him. She's an amazing skater and good, small (available) female pairs skaters are rather rare in the US right now. I think for such a short time together, they can really be proud of their performances at nationals.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mgobluegirl View Post
    Did you read any of the threads about them as they got together at the end of the summer? Rockne asked Mary Beth to skate with him. She's an amazing skater and good, small (available) female pairs skaters are rather rare in the US right now. I think for such a short time together, they can really be proud of their performances at nationals.
    I meant no harm! Really-I'll be pulling for them. I was being sarcastic! I think he's absolutely gorgeous, and she's a little sweetheart. Knowing some pair and dancer females looking for partners (though NOT on a junior or senior level...) I know how scarce good male partners can be, and I know what some of my friends have gone through to find their daughters a partner.

vCash
    I saw Rockne and Mary Beth skate live at nationals and I loved it. I didn't get any kind of weird vibe...I thought they looked perfect physically on the ice, the unison and the way they moved together was great. You could see the potential and no, they aren't there yet but what a debut. Loved their SP and enjoyed the LP as well. I will be watching them for sure and look forward to seeing what the future brings for them.

I agree with Sandra B...Rockne is a magnificent pairs partner. You could see his caring concern for Mary Beth, and I met him on Thursday night at nationals...he had nothing but praise for his young partner and was proud of how well she did in the SP.
    MERYL DAVIS AND CHARLIE WHITE - 2014 OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALISTS!

vCash
    I think that Mary Beth and Rockne do look mismatched now, but its not like Mary Beth is going to look like that for ever, she is going to grow up and mature. Hopefully she won't grow too tall, but she will grow up.

I meant no harm! Really-I'll be pulling for them. I was being sarcastic! I think he's absolutely gorgeous, and she's a little sweetheart. Knowing some pair and dancer females looking for partners (though NOT on a junior or senior level...) I know how scarce good male partners can be, and I know what some of my friends have gone through to find their daughters a partner.
    Maybe so but Mary Beth has been a lot of people's radar for awhile. She's a top Junior singles skater (top 5 or something nationally this year) plus she's so tiny and while she'll grow a bit she's likely not to grow that much. I don't think there's any real doubts about the claim that it was Rockne and his team who pursued her. Rockne's the best male pair skater the US has, and I doubt anyone would go for for a "Buy a Rockne" ala purchase a Russian.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by loopey View Post
    BUT next year, I really would like to see a different look from them. A MATURE SENIOR team: hair, makeup, choreography. The whole package needs to be more mature. But a great start for them.
    I don't see what else she could do with her hair and makeup-- she had it in a bun, and she wore rather standard competition makeup. She just happens to look very young, even for her already young age of 15. Things like that can't always be helped... There are plenty of things to work on to make them look like a more mature team that have nothing to do with physical appearance. The "adult skating with a little kid" look may dissipate as she matures, but the hair/makeup I thought was fine.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12