Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Chicago's Midway airport is currently reporting heavy thunder snow with visibilities down to 1/16 of a mile and winds sustained at 36 mph with gusts to 57 mph.

I hate winter and I hate having huge piles of snow leading to dirty grimy slush for weeks on end, but I do LOVE snow storms when they're actually occurring. I wish I still lived in Chicago at the moment. But when the storm ends tomorrow, I'll be glad I'm not there dealing with the aftermath for weeks to come. Here in central Ohio we've had a lot of freezing rain that's caused power outages, but I still have my power. And we'll be warming above freezing shortly and should stay above freezing the rest of the night. So that should hopefully help melt the ice and allow for a decent commute tomorrow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    This is a picture my boyfriend took, outside his campus apartments at The University of Tulsa.

http://i54.tinypic.com/212j0ua.jpg
    Happened to me when I did grad school in Chapel Hill, NC.
    STORM OF THE CENTURY. 18in overnight. Stayed in low 30s all week so UNC closed for the whole week as we waited for the snow to melt (no snow clearing equip). Only the 3rd time since Civil War the school closed!

Good luck!

vCash
    Few are mentioning where they live. Would love to know.

Plus, as the snow approaches us (Toronto) I'm curious to know if all are getting more, less or same than what weather guys predicted.

vCash
    I live in the Boston area and had to cancel my skating lesson tonight so I could go home and clear snow (my husband was out of town tonight). I have missed the gym, yoga, skating so many times over the last month due to cancelations and/or snow-clearing obligations (as a property owner), I've just about had it at this point. It's gross, I grew up with it, but enough is enough! And people are so sick of it at this point that no one is clearing their sidewalks and walking home from the train station is getting dangerous!

vCash
    I'm in a NW suburb of Chicago - the winds here are howling at around 60 mph gusts. It's rather unnerving. We got off work early, only to get on a commuter train that was crammed with people (I'm a bit claustrophobic), and then the train broke down for over 1/2 hour. We got to my station an hour and a half behind schedule.

There are people even now stranded on Lake Shore Drive, which is closed from south to north. I've never seen it like that.

Meanwhile, we got off early today and I am not going in to work tomorrow. In my 23 years there, they've never closed our office for a whole day, but I have a feeling they will tomorrow. The alarm is set for me to call in.

Stay safe, everyone!
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Southern Ontario - Niagara Region - mostly blowing - high winds but no big dump yet. The radio said the worst would be between 4 a.m. and 8 a.m. Supposed to be 30 - 40 cm. I looked out the front and there's a black stripe down the driveway. I thought maybe a neighbour brought out a shovel, but it's just the wind and the hedge playing games.
    Hope people that need to stay home safe.

vCash
    I'm in Michigan and we are getting hit hard, wonder if I will be stuck in my driveway in the morning. The wind has been howling, and I mean howling all night; snow blowing everywhere, it's a mess! Plus freezing cold!

vCash
    'Burbs of Chicago here:

The snow drift is so high, I can't open my front door! There's a two-foot step in front of my house and it's completely covered in snow. The latern lights out front (about 12" high) are buried. Drifts everywhere. Very noisy high winds. It's officially the 5th worst storm in Chicago history with a good chance of making top four. Snow won't stop until 3pm. Some roads completely closed. Had a civil alert on the tv for a nearby county that said if you get stuck on a road, emergency services may not reach you for a looooong time. The lows later are going to have windchills of 20-40 below.

I love snow (in moderation, though!), but storms like this are dangerous, I worry about losing power and not being able to use the roads. In '94 we had an ice storm that knocked our power out for three days. The house got so unbelievably cold... we don't have a fireplace so our only warmth was our gas stove-top (no oven) and hot water heater. I never want to go through that again! Today our power flickered several times and I was so worried! Praying for everybody!

-Bridget

vCash
    They've actually declared civil emergencies in the outlying counties surrounding Chicago - all roads closed in Lake, Kane and Will counties. And for the first time in my 23 years at my company, the office is closed today. 5 Metra train lines aren't even running today.

Whew. As soon as it gets lighter out, I'll take pictures of my area.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    Kruss -- same area as you -- I wanted to take pics through the window (didn't want to keep opening the front door and letting the cold in) but I can't see out! The snow is spattered all over it! Will try later, though, just because I always take pics of our blizzards.

-Bridget

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Right now is 65 degrees and rainy in southeast Georgia. Everyone is invited to come down here but I'm afraid you will curse me out in August when it's 102 degrees and 98 percent humidity.

Everyone stay safe.

vCash
    (West of Chicago resident here). Oh man; I'm going to get some epic photos out of it. It doesn't look like we got nearly the amount of drifting that some areas have gotten; it's too open and everything is blowing away. But we did get some drifts that I can see. Our neighbors back door is almost halfway covered, haha!

My employer is Target and as far as I know they're opening as usual, but I won't be there. :p I can't even tell where our yard ends and the street begins; and you think I'm going to drive to work? Nuh uh.

vCash
    (a few miles west of Boston)

We got an additional 4 inches of snow overnight and it's just cut over to either sleet or freezing rain. Work is closed, although someone just sent me an email about at 10:00 training class that is still on via WebEx. I guess I need to be a good doobie and log in.

Good thing we have a snow day today. We're getting water infiltration around several windows where the siding contractor didn't seal correctly. Fortunately, it's manageable so far.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Politiking for Purple
    vCash
    (Chicago by Lake Shore Drive)
    I work in the Loop and generally get home by taking a bus that goes up Lake Shore Drive. I left work about 6:30 last night and fortunately got on a bus that went up the inner drive rather than the outer drive. It took longer than usual but I got home, unlike the poor people who got stuck on outer Lake Shore Drive until about 5 am this morning.

At 8 am, Lake Shore Drive is still closed and they are still towing abandoned cars. i"m still trying to decide whether or not I am going to try to go into work.
    If you want to be creative, get out there and do it. It's not a waste of time" - Michael Giacchino, UP

vCash
    Albany, NY - I'm at work right now, and bored as hell - I'm the receptionist, and we've only gotten maybe a dozen calls since 8:00. 6 office people called in today, and I hope we close early - those of us who showed up get paid our full hours regardless of when we close. At my job, the office shut down at 4:00 yesterday, and the warehouse shut down at 8:00 last night (I work for a steel company). The overnight shift didn't even come in, and we did not send out trucks today, for obvious reasons.

It's only sleeting outside right now; I have no idea how much snow we've gotten so far, but I did have to do some car-sweeping this morning, because there was several inches of snow on it, I'd say about 3". I worked my PT temp. job last night (they are shut down today), so I didn't get home until after 10:00, and my landlord had blocked off the entrance to our private lot, so I had to park in a public lot a block away.

vCash
    I'm sitting at work with not a whole lot to do. Luckily I only live 5 minutes from work. Roads didn't seem too bad this morning. We got a lot less snow than they predicted, but still at least 6-8".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie View Post
    Right now is 65 degrees and rainy in southeast Georgia. Everyone is invited to come down here but I'm afraid you will curse me out in August when it's 102 degrees and 98 percent humidity.

Everyone stay safe.
    According to the WC site: 79F with scattered clouds & a high of 80F expected today. Tomorrow's high @ 81F. Low humidity, too.

However, much like Auntie, August, along with July and September, are much, much less temperate w/temps & humidity to match hers plus the threat of the big, bad wolf paying a visit to huff & puff & blow your house down.

Consequently, I'll enjoy what I have today, even if I am baby-sitting a 9 week old - or is it 10 weeks? - infant all week. Fortunately, he's an easy guy to take care of...cute, too...

NJL (..overall, life could be much, much worse...take care all...we do want you to return online eventually......)

vCash
    Currently snowed in here in Michigan until the plow gets to our street... which is always the last to get done since I live on a dead-end. Going to be a close call as to whether or not they'll have it done before I'm supposed to leave for work... can't wait to move away from this shit!

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    Cleveland has pretty much missed the storms all winter. We did get snow and rain. The temperature was 41 this morning when I was awakened by my boss informing me that we are closed today. It is not the snow but the ice. The temperature is dropping. Might get out my skates and skate in the parking lot.

vCash
    I'm in Milwaukee. By me no real count of the amount of snow. The snow drifts are killer. I know the kenosha area, they reported up to 21 ins. Snow drifts 6ft high.

I have about 4 feet snow drifts. The streets, main streets are plowed however the walkways have not been shoveled so folks can't get out of the house, period.

Parts of I-94 South are closed. There are some folks stranded in their cars on I-94
    The MCTS(Milwaukee County Transit System) are not running buses and that's a big thing.

Here are some pics of the snow around my house.
    Back of my Apartment building, as you can see walkways are covered.

I can't even get to my garage and If did I could do anything. The snow drifts around my garage door have to be around 4 1/2 feet.

Again, street is plowed by you can't get to the street with the walkways/sidewalks like this.

I took these around 9am(CST).
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast