Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Let it snow, let it snow...not!

As I type this, we're in the midst of a yet another snowstorm that promises to be "the big one". The weathermen predict that we will receive from 8 to 15 inches of snow. We still have snow on the ground from the last snow fall. I can't be the only FSU poster who is sick and tired of the white stuff? Moving to a snow-free climate is starting to look more appealing.

vCash
    I got a snow day. The roads are a mess, the wind chill makes the Arctic look warm.

Is it spring yet?

vCash
    I just wish it had held off a few days. My flights were cancelled today, so I'm looking at a long bus trip tomorrow to get where I gotta go.

I wish it snowed nicely here. If the snow is nice for snowmen and sledding, it melts within a few hours. Most of the snowstorms here result in black ice and crappy roads because it's too warm.

Edited to add:

Just received an email from the Marketing & Programs Manager at ORDA. (2/1/2011, 3:20pm)

Due to the northeast's bad weather, the schedule is being revised so that
    no official practices or events start before Thursday, 2/3/2011 at 6pm.
    There are unofficial practice ice sessions available before then; contact the organizers.

More updates will be forthcoming, along with a revised schedule.
    Stormy: you might want to put up a message on synchroboards. I tried to register and post, but was blocked by the spam-fighting measures.
    Last edited by FigureSpins; 02-01-2011 at 09:21 PM.

vCash
    8-15 inches is nothing! We've got 8 inches so far today and that is just the appetizer. Tomorrow is supposed to be the main event.
    Creating drama!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    We don't have any snow.

We have ice--a nice thick glaze of it on everything. And it's so cold that the salt and ice melt aren't working.

Wanna trade?
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I'm in Baton Rouge and we are right on the line of snow, no snow, ice, no ice for Thursday night into Friday. I don't want to miss out on all the fun, let's cancel classes on Friday out of precaution, I say!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Prancer, we had that ice yesterday. I sprayed ice melt on my windshield, and the ice sat there and mocked me.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Prancer, we had that ice yesterday. I sprayed ice melt on my windshield, and the ice sat there and mocked me.
    Then I can blame you for sending it here!

We're supposed to get another half inch of ice this evening, the regular rain, then freezing rain again, then snow.

Wheeee. Our snow won't be measured in feet, but I think I'd still prefer that over this ice.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    We don't have any snow.

We have ice--a nice thick glaze of it on everything. And it's so cold that the salt and ice melt aren't working.

Wanna trade?
    I had to carry a 50-lb. bag of salt from my car to the house yesterday--all by myself. I was like Hansel and Gretl this morning as I sprinkled my salt during my walk to the car. I'll be adding a lot more once I get home from work.
    If ignorance is bliss, I'm overjoyed.

vCash
    We were informed at work today that we are not given "snow days" and that the office will be open for business tomorrow. If you don't come in, it counts against your PTO days.

I thought that's how it always went - so now I'm thinking last year when people didn't come in, they got paid as if they did?

vCash
    A couple of years ago, the main highway was shut down. You would be arrested for trying to get to work!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I went in today. It was barely snowing when I left the house at 6:45 and I got to work in 11 minutes. Left at 11:45 and it took an 1:15 to get home. Not pleasant. I think we've had about 4 feet of snow since Christmas and I'm really worried that a sudden warmup will cause roof leaks and seepage in the basement.

Our office does have snow days for the hourly staff, but those of us with laptops and BlackBerrys are expected to work from home. I'm expecting a snow day tomorrow.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    We were informed at work today that we are not given "snow days" and that the office will be open for business tomorrow. If you don't come in, it counts against your PTO days.

I thought that's how it always went - so now I'm thinking last year when people didn't come in, they got paid as if they did?
    Well, I understand that for a few flurries. I live smack dab in the middle of the country. The governor declared a state of emergency on Sunday, a full 24 hours before the bad weather even started. The kids were sent home early yesterday and the city (I live in a major city) has been shut down essentially for 24 hrs. We've been getting ice and sleet now and have been since yesterday. There's thunder-snow headed this way and now they're predicting a major blizzard between now and tomorrow. We're supposed to get up to 12" on top of the ice that we've been getting over yesterday and today. And they say that we will have wind gusts up to 35 mph with temps below zero tonight into tomorrow. They just announced on the news that dept of transportation has closed the interstate because of white-out conditions. Who in their right mind is going to be out in that crap?

We got a foot of snow a couple of weeks ago and my job was counting occurrences then. Today they made employees come into work, but closed at 11am. But they counted occurrences for those who didn't come in at all. I haven't decided if I was lucky or smart, but I had vacation time scheduled during both storms. I just think that it's disgraceful that people are expected to attempt to get to work in this crap unless you work in a hospital or some sort of public safety type position (which I do not).

And spring is at least 6 weeks away. There's no way in hell that a groundhog is going to see his shadow in this sh*t.
    The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are--Joseph Campbell

vCash
    My boyfriend is going to school in Tulsa and they have a blizzard warning until Midnight. Class was canceled for today for him yesterday, and they canceled class for tomorrow. They already have 13.2 inches (by Tulsa International Airport) and are expecting 22 inches total. The snow drifts there are 3 - 6 feet.

Here, I live very North Texas and we were supposed to get quite a bit of snow (about 6 - 10 inches here, 1 - 4 in Dallas). However, that plan failed and instead we have about 4 inches of pure, thick ice. The roads are incredibly bad and on one of the highways there were 15 big rigs in the north and south bound lanes that were Jack Knifed. There have been a lot of accidents on the road here, and Love Field airport is shut down. I'm sure DFW International Airport is next considering the temperature is continuing to drop here and things are only going to get worse. I'm shocked they're still forcing Super Bowl media day in Dallas considering how bad the conditions are and how poor some say we have handled the road situation.

vCash
    It's been snowing all day here (Albany, NY). We're supposed to get 4-6" today, and then another 1' tomorrow. I think there's more than 6" out there. I went out during my lunch hour to clean off my car and it was over my ankles. Somehow I doubt my day job will be closing at 4:00, but I can guarantee it will tomorrow. We've had 3 storms since Christmas, and we've closed early during 2 of them (I didn't even make it in for the first one!). When we close early, everyone in the office who's still there and scheduled to work until 5:00 gets paid their full hours, which is nice.

vCash
    30cm of snow coming my way... thankfully I don't have to work for the next 2 days so I don't care. It is just what to do with the kiddie's who get to stay home for a snow day from school... and what to do with darling husband who will probably work from home too!
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    I'm in the Chicago area, and we're in the process of getting hammered. :p I had to laugh when I was listening to the radio driving home from work this morning. The newscaster was giving a brief weather update, and he started out with, "We're expecting one to two inc..." and then he choked and stammered around for a few seconds. "Uh, make that one to two FEET". I admit it, I giggled.

At least I'm safe at home and can ride the storm out. I'm supposed to open at work tomorrow but something tells me I may not make it until a few hours later. ) Ah well!

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    I too prefer snow over ice. I live west of Boston, and so it's pretty much been all snow these last several storms. We just got a lull here, so I quickly went out and shoveled the walkway and around my car. I live in a duplex, and my neighbor has a snow blower, so he does the major snow removal. What really sucks is the lack of any winter thaw. We usually gets a few days in the low 40s to help melt the snow a bit between storms. I've been remiss in shoveling off my raised deck, and now it's past the point at which I can even attempt it. I just hope it holds up and doesn't collapse!

I'm fortunate that I'm allowed to work from home during inclement weather, so I can stay home tomorrow. However the bad news is that I'm PMSing and craving chocolate, AND THERE IS NONE IN THE HOUSE! I can't justify risking a trip to the market just for my chocolate craving, so I'll just have to deal with it. But its' hard!!

Breaking news! Phil the Groundhog has been getting death threats and was last seen boarding a cruise ship to St. Thomas!

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    I'm fortunate that I'm allowed to work from home during inclement weather, so I can stay home tomorrow. However the bad news is that I'm PMSing and craving chocolate, AND THERE IS NONE IN THE HOUSE! I can't justify risking a trip to the market just for my chocolate craving, so I'll just have to deal with it. But its' hard!!
    I bought a box of brownie mix over the weekend just in case I got locked indoors for a few days.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Just another beautiful day in California!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast