Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Give Dornbush time to grow. He's almost 8 years younger than Joubert so he could end up a much better all around skater than Joubert.
    LOL, I give him time !
    But he is in the team this year, and the question is about the World team for this year !

vCash
    personally i don't care who wins or not, no skin off of me,
    yes it would be nice if alissa medal, d/w wins, but not so what--life goes on.
    who really cares about a sport that is rigged.-like [put up because of OGM /or just because the federation wants them.
    you don't say cliqueish. figure skating is.

anyway-unlrelated most medalist are in the U.s from SC of New York, Sc of Boston, BRoadmoor-Detroit Sc, now artic blades/
    that is where most of the OGM medalist are. so the skaters from those clubs tend to quietly behind the scenes push them forward and overlook their skaters from their clubs mistakes and point out others from skaters that don't got to those clubs.

St Morits-ogm-kristi
    penisula ogm-brian boitano
    dupage-evan

vCash
    to bad you don't get it--you don't like the truth and can't handle it.
    when it slaps you in the face. you redline people you don't like and can't handle-so what just proves me right when i state the facts.

sarah overlook urs-sc of new york,
    tara overlook urs-detroit sc.
    yep-your sports needs help and you don't want to admit that you need it, you don't want to admit that anything is wrong. keep burying it with social media .too bad
    the sport is nice to watch but lousy at competition-with the scores.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Richard Dornbush is nothing more than a Joubert without quad, and even more unpolished.
    Interesting view. I don't see the similarity. I think Dornbush is more versatile. Brian has stated that he is not comfortable being anybody but himself in his programs, and I consider it limiting; Dornbush is willing to step out of himself, which promises more interesting programs. Whether he gets Joubert's quads and star power, remains to be seen. Before this year I would have said No, but seeing him at Nationals convinced me he does have the ability to hold attention ( as well as great speed, good SS and charm). I think the next two years are going to be crucial for him- if he keeps improving he can achieve a lot.
    I think Dornbush, if he skates well, has the best scoring potential out of the 3 people going- but maintaining 3 spots would take a minor miracle. Which will make next year very tough for the US Men.

Dance is a shoe- in, and Ladies have a chance at 3 spots- I'll be rooting for that like crazy.
    Last edited by dinakt; 02-12-2011 at 10:35 PM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Richard Dornbush is nothing more than a Joubert without quad, and even more unpolished.
    I guess I'm turning into a Dorny uber, so I need to respond.

Dornbush has high, tight, terrific jumps [and no real weakness on any particular jump - toe or edge], great basics, speed, connections, better concentration on spins and non-jump elements, and steadier coach-pupil relationship than Joubert has. I also see him doing a better job 'getting into character' on the ice. Joubert has been only hamming it up for years now.

And he's only 19.

Also, I know he's working on a Quad and considering the size of his jumps, it's only a matter of time if he keeps going the way he is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I guess I'm turning into a Dorny uber, so I need to respond.

Dornbush has high, tight, terrific jumps [and no real weakness on any particular jump - toe or edge], great basics, speed, connections, better concentration on spins and non-jump elements, and steadier coach-pupil relationship than Joubert has. I also see him doing a better job 'getting into character' on the ice. Joubert has been only hamming it up for years now.

And he's only 19.

Also, I know he's working on a Quad and considering the size of his jumps, it's only a matter of time if he keeps going the way he is
    I agree with this. I actually don't see too many similarities with Joubert beyond the big jumps. Dornbush is quite the good spinner, already has more transitions than Joubert, isn't stupid about leaving easy points off the table by not filling out his combination opportunities, and really gets into character in his programs. Sure he may not be super artistic yet, but you can't say he isn't trying to get into character in his FS with all that silly choreo. Joubert, otoh, often abandons his choreography or performs it half-heartedly when things aren't going his way.

Also, considering Joubert has won worlds, medaled frequently at others, and has been on the European podium every time he's competed means he's a pretty good skater. I know he's probably past his prime now, but Richard should not be ashamed to be compared to Joubert especially because the way I see it he is, or has all the tools to be, a much more well-rounded skater than Joubert.

Not everyone can pull off the flowy artistic style that Weir, Chan, and Rippon have, and quite frankly I'd see Richard as pretty silly to try channeling that because I think it would look cheesy on him. He has charisma though and knows how to make it work for him. This and his big jumps remind me a bit of Tomas Verner, although Richard seems to be consistent which is the one thing that always hurt Tomas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I also see him doing a better job 'getting into character' on the ice. Joubert has been only hamming it up for years now.
    I can't say I disagree. Dornbush seems to be quite a musical skater and musicality never struck me as one of Joubert's strongest characteristics. And he already has more ease and flow on the footwork that Brian ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Also, considering Joubert has won worlds, medaled frequently at others, and has been on the European podium every time he's competed means he's a pretty good skater.
    Absolutely and while not being that young anymore, his competitive experience, maturity of skating and hard jumps would still entitle him to a spot on the world podium whereas Richard needs to grow in the way he presents himself on the ice especially when I think of his short program.

Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    This and his big jumps remind me a bit of Tomas Verner
    Verner was the first to come into my mind when I saw Richard perform his Sherlock program, sweet, funny and adorable like Tomas. In a couple of other respects though, such as physique and posture, I associated him with Tim Goebel rather than any other skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    I can't say I disagree. Dornbush seems to be quite a musical skater and musicality never struck me as one of Joubert's strongest characteristics. And he already has more ease and flow on the footwork that Brian ever had.

Absolutely and while not being that young anymore, his competitive experience, maturity of skating and hard jumps would still entitle him to a spot on the world podium whereas Richard needs to grow in the way he presents himself on the ice especially when I think of his short program.

Verner was the first to come into my mind when I saw Richard perform his Sherlock program, sweet, funny and adorable like Tomas. In a couple of other respects though, such as physique and posture, I associated him with Tim Goebel rather than any other skater.
    Well, like you say, he's more musical than Joubert. I think that would definitely make him more musical than Goebel. And I agree that his SP is the weaker of the 2 programs.

Watching Richard spin though, his spins are still done with more ease and flow than Goebel's. When CoP was introduced and Goebel began to change positions in his sit spin, he used to have a look of pain on his face. Still, I don't mind the comparison to Goebel: After all, Goebel is an Olympic medalist and won 2 silver medals @ Worlds only behind probably the 2 biggest male skaters of the past decade - Yagudin and Plushenko

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post

Definitely see the resemblance to Goebel, although Richard is far more musical. His body build and posture definitely closer to Goebel than Joubert or Verner, who appear to be taller and bigger boned than Richard. Although considering his age I guess Richard could still be growing.

vCash
    I really do hope Dornbush works on his posture because it is something I don't like about his skating, and I never thought Joubert had bad posture. But of all the US men, I think he has the most long term potential at this point. I mean I adore Abbott's skating but if Jeremy hasn't learned to compete by now...

vCash
    Dornbush gives me a strong Brezina vibe in terms of jumping and skating style. Hope he can break out like Brezina did last season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Dornbush gives me a strong Brezina vibe in terms of jumping and skating style. Hope he can break out like Brezina did last season.
    He's a much faster spinner than Brezina and less bland as well. Based on what we've seen this season with Brezina, when he doesn't hit the big jumps he falls from great to pretty mediocre quickly. Of course he is very young and has time to develop the rest of his skating, and his jumps are already first rate, but I personally think Richard has more charisma and better choreo, spins, and footwork. Also, I think Brezina's slight build probably plays a role in his stamina issues, as last season I remember he often ran out of steam in the last minute or so of his program which resulted in some costly errors, and this was before his injury. Richard is a bit sturdier than Brezina and seems to have no stamina issues at all.

vCash
    Now that Lepisto is out, the US ladies' chance of regaining that 3rd spot is just a little higher.

If everyone is on or close to clean, I think the placement should be:

Kim / Ando / Asada
    Czisny/Kostner
    Murakami/Korpi
    Flatt

There is of course a good chance that Kostner and Korpi won't deliver, or won't both deliver. There is also a chance that Czisny won't deliver .

Would love it if next year's team was Czisny, Nagasu and Wagner, and then Zawakzki, just missing out on world team again, moves to Carroll or Arutunian.

Title-less
    vCash
    Cynthia could skate very well at worlds like she did last year. I can see Makarova being among top ten also. And I can see Joshi HELGESSON in top twelve.

vCash
    Even if Cynthia skates well she will lose to Czisny for sure if Alissa also does. Flatt and Cynthia both skating well. Not really sure how that would go, if Rachael doesnt do a triple-triple then Cynthia could probably come out ahead actually, but Flatt is way more likely to skate clean. Makarova similar statements apply, except she is much more likely to skate clean or cleaner than Phaneuf, but even if she does even easier for even Flatt to beat.

vCash
    I'm not so sure Cynthia loses a head to head with Alissa. Her jumps will earn more GOE, and she has more of them, so that should counterbalance Alissa'a spin + PCS advantage.

I think Cynthia could be the real dark horse for this years ladies field.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    I think Phaneuf's skating is beautiful, but a clean Czisny is always going to get higher PCS than a clean Phaneuf.

vCash
    ^ I think Rachael will surprise. It's just a hunch; a 'feeling in my bones'. She's picked herself up w/ the new SP and skating with an overall different feeling that the judges should take note of. She has the elements down in EoE, it's getting stronger, and I'll wager that she's going to clear the last hurdle, put in a 3-3 which would increase her score a few points.

I get the LP is less interesting. But, her jumps [3f especially] and some of her spins [camel, sit] just look better, more secure than they ever did. Throwing in the 2x-3l at 4CCs shows a commitment to upping her technical difficulty. She'll benefit from relaxed penalties on ur's.

I'm not delusional. I don't think she'll medal but she could be as high as 4th if she's clean with 3-3s and Kostner flubs a few elements.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234