• Shawn Sawyer Silver

2 0.63%
  • Other

38 11.99%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mafke View Post
    "Sarah Myer's European Champion Gold"

Yeah that was a suprise, a skater no one had ever heard of with a name that sounded exactly like another well known skater.

It must be awkward for poor Sarah Meier, people are going to be congratulating her for this Myer girl's win and she has to correct them.

To those who think Sarah should go to Worlds:
    She had two seasons of injuries behind her, hips and knees constantly hurting. The only reason she didn't retire before was that Euros were in Switzerland this year. She decided she was fit enough to start only two weeks before the competition.

I think she clearly deserved to win (and I am thrilled about it) but she also was lucky that the others didn't skate clean. So my opinion is, she is right to retire. She should cure her injuries and then make us happy by skating in a lot of shows!

vCash
    Oh, and yes, US Mens team for Worlds is the most shocking news of the season for me.

(I was not shocked by Sarah - I was delighted!)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Does any other skating national award pewter other than the US? I'm sorry, but it's such a BS medal. Even Jeremy had that look on his face when he was awarded 4th.
    I think the idea of the pewter is that 4 from regionals and sectionals move on, so it makes sense they award medals to all who move on. (It's weird to say medalists +1 qualify...) So at nationals, they award it as well- because they have the whole series.

I know skaters who are very proud of their pewter medals, but probably would be just as proud to say they finished 4th. I don't think Jeremy was thinking it was a BS medal, the US has awarded it for a long time- it's not like they just made it up, he was just annoyed he was in 4th, not that he had to be at the medal ceremony.

vCash
    The two most surprising results this season were also pleasant ones that were left off the main poll options.

1) Alissa Czisny. GPF and US Nats winner. SWEET!

2) Chan's Canadian Nats. What. Was. That.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shirley View Post
    Ryan Bradley's win- by a LONG shot.
    Why is anyone so surprised by Ryan's win? I wasn't (I actually recovered quite a bit of v-cash because of him.)

He was the hungriest for the title. Back in fall, when no one stood out (Mroz, Abbott and Rippon ended up with similar GP points), Ryan is probably the only one hungry enough to be the #1 US male. I thought either he would win the US title or he'd be off the podium all together. (Why would so many people tweet/facebook him to ask him to come back? I guess they all think he has a shot )

What I think about his skating is another matter of course.

Re: Jeremy's pewter shouldn't be surprising either--even as a fan you can see his problems long before they happen (the same way I noticed Weir's trouble re: turning things around and I'm not even a Johnny fan).

ETA: among the ones on the list, I'd say Ross Miner's Bronze and Dornbush's Silver (which also means Mroz, Adam and Jeremy off the top 3). That and Sawyer's landing 3A without 2 foot (but that's not on the list).

ETA: Perhaps if I followed Dornbush and Miner more I wouldn't have been surprised. I guess surprises come from not knowing how some skaters were doing at the time of competition
    Last edited by jlai; 02-04-2011 at 03:57 AM.

vCash
    Abbott not on the podium at the US nationals

vCash
    Love Jeremy and I'm disappointed/a little surprised he didn't make top 3, but at the same time it's not that surprising. Unfortunately, he is a little headcase-y, and he's been that way for a long time.

vCash
    Can't make up my mind between Bradley's gold and Dornbush's silver. But perhaps the most incredible moment was Chan's FS at the Canadian Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Ryan has notoriously been an even bigger headcase throughout his career than Jeremy though. Not to mention that his scoring potential has never been great internationally given his lack of skating skills and less complicated choreography and transitions. His resume is nowhere in the same hemisphere as Evan's, Johnny's or Jeremy's. Also, Ryan has not competed AT ALL internationally this season. Given this and his track record over the years, the huge gamble that the USFSA is taking with Bradley on the team IS shocking I believe.
    The USFSA has to gamble on Bradley, he is the natl champ. Evan & Johnny weren't at Natls so the fact they are better than Ryan doesn't matter. Yes, Jeremy is much better but there is no telling ever on what he will do. Same for Adam & Armin, neither has been very consistant this year. I didn't find Ryan's win all that shocking, I have always felt there was a big win in his future if the stars aligned & if everyone else fell.

SHERLOCKED
    vCash
    I'd have to say it's the cumulative effect of the U.S. men's top 3 placements. Any one result might have been somewhat surprising, but not shocking, but put together: wow! I voted for Ross Miner's bronze because that was the result that finally pushed Abbott out of the world team placements.

I agree with whoever mentioned Yuna Kim leaving Brian Orser's coaching camp being the most shocking thing not mentioned in the poll. They seemed to have such a good (and certainly successful) relationship.

To add something that I don't think has been mentioned yet, I was pretty surprised by Fedor Andreev switching to dance and partnering with Jana Khokhlova no less.
    Last edited by sk8sue; 02-04-2011 at 11:11 PM.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Elena Glebova and her Sex & The City SP not making it to Euros.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Patrick Chan's too many falls and still wins.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    Patrick Chan's too many falls and still wins.
    Yes. Especially at Skate Canada where he fell four times across two programs and still won the gold. And one of the falls was in a step sequence ffs. I'm sorry, I don't care what PCS crap they come up with, for someone to win with FOUR falls is just plain criminal.

@Jenna I have to see this program now. Not because I'll enjoy seeing the kid in pain - I won't, I'll probably turn green - but because I have to see HOW he did it. Tough kid, I like him already!

vCash
    I put other. Volosozhar and Trankov's UNBELIEVABLE performances at Russian Nats. WHo could have expected them to be that GREAT so soon.

I really enjoyed Meier's moment, but it wasn't a huge surprise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Yes. Especially at Skate Canada where he fell four times across two programs and still won the gold. And one of the falls was in a step sequence ffs. I'm sorry, I don't care what PCS crap they come up with, for someone to win with FOUR falls is just plain criminal.
    I think it's actually not fair to give such high pcs with several falls in the program. He shouldn't score that high and as a result should be beaten on the total score by someone who combined TES and the right PCS of a skater who didn't clean the ice with his butt.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    When Gong skated to Salome ... just shocking ... hehe

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    But, of course, nothing that has happened in figure skating this season, including break ups, new teams, national competitions, GP debuts and new federations taking place in the competitions, compares to Rachael Flatt's SP change
    Well said!
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    How about new info about Sui's birthday? She is allegedly born in May of 1997...making her 13. If this is legitimate...I don't even know what to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    How about new info about Sui's birthday? She is allegedly born in May of 1997...making her 13. If this is legitimate...I don't even know what to say.

But it's not shocking. Everyone knows the Chinese have been pulling that rubbish with their gymnasts for years, so why not their skaters as well?

vCash
    I thought Sui and Han looked a lot younger than their reported ages

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234