Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Honestly, I wish people would quit posting his articles.
    It seems people enjoy posting his articles, and then attacking him.

ETA: I agree with Hersh on this one.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 02-01-2011 at 01:06 PM.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    So, if the US doesn't produce a big medal haul, what's the big deal?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    When was the last time the US won lots of medals at World's? Why is a big medal haul even a hope/expectation?
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    Death of Figure Skating as we know it ...
    Even less and less television coverage perhaps? Because that's what seems to be happening with each passing year, and fans have been forced to resort to paying for subscriptions to watch skating on the internet.

I'm just saying.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    So, if the US doesn't produce a big medal haul, what's the big deal?
    Of course there isn't any real big deal. But as an American sportswriter he's lamenting the fact that the U.S. isn't medaling. I believe there was a bit off from the Russian press after Vancouver about the lack of medals for the Russian team (especially overall, and not just in skating).

Take the article for what it is: nationalistic sports griping writing.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Honestly, I wish people would quit posting his articles.
    Dear Hosni Mubarak: This is a land of free speech. Thank you!

BRAVO, Mr. Hersch! Spot-on, as usual.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    "Lots" is subjective but 3+ seems like a good enough number. At 2006 Worlds, the US won three medals--gold in ladies, bronze in dance, and bronze in men.

I don't know why people don't know why an American would want American skaters to earn a lot of medals.
    American are all for world domination in everything. They want gold, silver, bronze, steel, tin, aluminum and all other colors. lol I'm surprise why alot more american didn't try to get on 'guiness book of world records'. There are certainly alot of subjects to be written off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    American are all for world domination in everything. They want gold, silver, bronze, steel, tin, aluminum and all other colors. lol I'm surprise why alot more american didn't try to get on 'guiness book of world records'. There are certainly alot of subjects to be written off.
    Right, like all the other countries are saying "Yes go to worlds and place 15th or 16th, we'll be proud of you". Every country wants their people to do well, America is just a little more vocal about it. I won't even read Hershey-burgers article, but some people are so stupid with their America hate.
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

vCash
    I agree with Hersh for once in this article, especially about Pairs. I am a fan of Evora-Ladwig but Mark's statement about the U.S getting close to a medal in Pairs @ worlds is ridiculous.

vCash
    Hersh must be related to Rosie DiManno (Toronto Star)! Do these two people enjoy anything? Two clear cases of glass 3/4 empty (and 1/4 isn't even single malt!). I intend to ignore them both and watch the rest of the season with enjoyment. I love to see the struggles for perfection and the development of new skaters. I'll root for Canadians (2 medals at most) and I'll root for Alissa and D/W. This new group of skaters is refreshing; enjoy their development! I bet you'll be seeing more medals in the next few years; just give them some time to develop. And Hersh and DiManno, couldn't you just ease up a bit and enjoy this sport like many of us?

a suburb of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA
    vCash

No one can make accurate predictions in skating.

1) Ice is slippery.

2) Anything can happen....and does.

3) We have to wait to find out the results. How often have we been surprised at results? How often has the favorite not won? How often has the least favorite won?

4) Everyone has an opinion. No matter what the foundation for the opinion, it is at best a guess.

5) If wishes were horses, we'd all be knee deep in horse poop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wonderlen View Post
    American are all for world domination in everything. They want gold, silver, bronze, steel, tin, aluminum and all other colors. lol
    And platinium ?

vCash
    Teams who are likely to do well are
    S/S (GER), V/T(RUS), B/L(RUS), K/S(RUS), P/T(RUS), M-T/M(RUS), so 6 teams.
    Moore-Towers/Moscovitch have hit the big time - people think they are a Russian team.

vCash
    ....Teams who are likely to do well are
    S/S (GER), V/T(RUS), B/L(RUS), K/S(RUS), P/T(RUS), M-T/M(RUS), so 6 teams......
    And P/T are also Russian, I see (like M-T/M).

vCash
    I still remember the 1996 Olympics and the chanting U.S.A when they weren't on the floor for gymnastics and I'm not not sure if it was the Romanians or Russians on the beam. I actually found that somewhat revolting. If their is some unrest in the world about the US and sports, in some cases, it is warranted. I am not saying that is always the case, but the media in the US really play up their athletes even when it isn't warranted, so for this reporter to undervalue the US skating team really comes as a surprise to me.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash

Why can't the US get at least one team in the top 10?

Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Why? His assessment may not be what fans want to hear, but he's not blowing smoke. He simply stated facts. There isn't a hope of a pair team getting top 10 much less medalling with 3 Russians, 2 Germans, 3 Chinese, 2 Canadians all of whom will easily score higher than either of our two teams. His assessment of the mens and women's teams is correct. He said there's an outside chance for Alissa and Rachel to be in the top 10 and even to medal depending on Asada and Kim. That's true. The chance for the men is somewhat less, but not impossible. The only reliable medal is dance and that color depends.
    Evora and Ladwig were top ten last year, and this year they did better on the GP circuit that last year and two of the teams from last year are gone.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/CAT003RS.HTM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8tn View Post
    Evora and Ladwig were top ten last year, and this year they did better on the GP circuit that last year and two of the teams from last year are gone.

http://www.isuresults.com/results/wc2010/CAT003RS.HTM
    Yes, but Volosozhar/Trankov are going to be there, Moore-Towers/Moscovitch have improved and will be there, and Duhamel/Radford can certainly score similarly.

vCash
    I think this is the 1st 4CC's in a long time that I am really interested in the placement of people and how things turn out. I feel that way about ladies, pairs and ice dance. (Chan won't be there so not as interested about that one lol!)
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Why? His assessment may not be what fans want to hear, but he's not blowing smoke. He simply stated facts. There isn't a hope of a pair team getting top 10 much less medalling with 3 Russians, 2 Germans, 3 Chinese, 2 Canadians all of whom will easily score higher than either of our two teams. His assessment of the mens and women's teams is correct. He said there's an outside chance for Alissa and Rachel to be in the top 10 and even to medal depending on Asada and Kim. That's true. The chance for the men is somewhat less, but not impossible. The only reliable medal is dance and that color depends.
    3 Chinese Teams? The only Chinese team that will finish ahead of Y/C and E/L is P/T.

H/W ahead of them? I'll have to check but Y/C and E/L were ahead of them during the GP season

Ditto Duhamel and partner. Were they ahead of Y/C and E/L on the GP circuit? If they vastly improved by CAN Nats, so did the 2 American Pairs. I'm under no illusion that they'll medal, but jeez it sounds like people are selling them short...

Alissa and Rachael maybe in the top 10? Who will place ahead of them??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Yeah but there is going to be a gold in Dance!
    If D/W don't win, I'm blaming Hersh for jinxing them.

I think Czisny and Flatt have a good chance of getting back 3 spots for next year. If Alissa can skate like she did at the GPF, she's got a shot at a medal. And who knows, maybe the int'l judges really like EoE.

The discipline I'm worried about is men. If Ryan skates an SP like at Nats, he'll be in contention for a medal. If he skates an FS like at Nats, he'll drop out of the top 10. I hope the good Ryan shows up! If Ricky skates like he did at Nats, he could be top 10, maybe a high as 7 or 8, depending on how others skate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    If D/W don't win, I'm blaming Hersh for jinxing them.

I think Czisny and Flatt have a good chance of getting back 3 spots for next year. If Alissa can skate like she did at the GPF, she's got a shot at a medal. And who knows, maybe the int'l judges really like EoE.

The discipline I'm worried about is men. If Ryan skates an SP like at Nats, he'll be in contention for a medal. If he skates an FS like at Nats, he'll drop out of the top 10. I hope the good Ryan shows up! If Ricky skates like he did at Nats, he could be top 10, maybe a high as 7 or 8, depending on how others skate.
    I don't think that the ladies chances at Worlds for getting 3 spots are markedly changed regardless of which two of the three podium finishers get sent.

For the guys -- I'm hoping that Ryan goes back to Colorado Springs and works his patootie off building stamina and rechoreographing the middle of his LP. I like Ryan, but that looked more like an improv section, and was sloppy to boot. If Ryan can land a quad in the short (and stay upright on everything else) and can land two quads in the long (and stay upright or with most one fall/pop) I'd think he'd stay in the top 6. Clean, maybe 3-4.

vCash
    Davis/White will medal in ice dance for sure (and most likely win), Czisny or maybe even Flatt will medal if they do well, and that's about it. I'm glad Richard Dornbush is being sent to worlds as he deserves it, but I'm lamenting a huge missed opportunity for him to be World Junior Champion (I think he should have been assigned both Senior and Junior Worlds). He never even went to Junior Worlds before. I believe this is the absolute last year he's age-eligible for junior worlds, and if he were to skate there like he did at the JGPF and Nationals, he'd be extremely hard to beat for the title. USFSA Jr Worlds selection committee.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast