Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

vCash

World Figure Skating Championships unlikely to produce a big haul for U.S.

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm - Ralph Waldo Emerson

vCash
    It's an article by Mr. Hersh.
    Remember, if nobody clicks on the link, he loses his job and goes away.

Though seriously, he makes some good points.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Honestly, I wish people would quit posting his articles.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Yeah but there is going to be a gold in Dance!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Honestly, I wish people would quit posting his articles.
    Why? His assessment may not be what fans want to hear, but he's not blowing smoke. He simply stated facts. There isn't a hope of a pair team getting top 10 much less medalling with 3 Russians, 2 Germans, 3 Chinese, 2 Canadians all of whom will easily score higher than either of our two teams. His assessment of the mens and women's teams is correct. He said there's an outside chance for Alissa and Rachel to be in the top 10 and even to medal depending on Asada and Kim. That's true. The chance for the men is somewhat less, but not impossible. The only reliable medal is dance and that color depends.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Why? His assessment may not be what fans want to hear, but he's not blowing smoke. He simply stated facts. There isn't a hope of a pair team getting top 10 much less medalling with 3 Russians, 2 Germans, 3 Chinese, 2 Canadians
    Seriously? First of all, who are the "3 Chinese" teams that will be Y/C and E/L? The Zhangs have been injured, and IIRC, Sui/Han aren't age eligible for ISU Championships this year. The two American teams scored well on the SGP -- certainly well enough to be top 10 in Tokyo.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Sometimes you have to wonder if Phil wasn't Hitler and Sonya Henie's love child.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Sometimes you have to wonder if Phil wasn't Hitler and Sonya Henie's love child.
    Like Witt?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Seriously? First of all, who are the "3 Chinese" teams that will be Y/C and E/L? The Zhangs have been injured, and IIRC, Sui/Han aren't age eligible for ISU Championships this year. The two American teams scored well on the SGP -- certainly well enough to be top 10 in Tokyo.
    I agree that 2 other chinese pairs other than P/T are very unlikely to finish that high, I would wait till 4 cc to see if Chinese team can actually maintain 3 teams. P/T hasn't had a stellar season, so is very likely if the other 2 Chinese pair continue to score in the same range as they have been doing whole year they will be able to maintain their 3 teams status for 2012 world championships.

Teams who are likely to do well are
    S/S (GER), V/T(RUS), B/L(RUS), K/S(RUS), P/T(CHN), M-T/M(CAN), so 6 teams.

Then it seems, Duhamel/Radford(CAN), Berton/Hotarek(ITA), Takehashi/Tran(JPN), Haush/Wende(GER), Evora/Ladwig(USA), Yankowaskas/Coughlin(USA) will skate it out for 7-12. For US to not to have at least a pair in top, a lot things have to go wrong, plus don't have the option of maintaing 2 teams by having combined position total of 27? However US gaining an additional spot (3 teams) for next world looks highly unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Yeah but there is going to be a gold in Dance!
    There is no guarantee of them winning it especially if V/M returns. The GPF champion does not mean you automatically win the title. In addition there is the new European Champions who are becoming more and more a contender for the top spot.
    Last edited by Domshabfan; 02-01-2011 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Error in typing

vCash
    And the US not winning a lot of world medals is a problem because.....?

Oh, that's right, it's not a problem because it gives Phil a chance to spout more BS.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    There is no guarantee of them winning it especially if V/M returns. The GPF champion does not mean you automatically win the title. ...
    I don't know - V/M lost a lot of training time and didn't compete at all this season. I guess 4CC will give us an idea of how beatable they might be at World's.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    V/M are a great team and the best team in the world but just looking at P/B and D/W it takes several competitions to get things sorted out. Like say levels on the GW in the SD that they will be doing for the first time. I mean I have no doubt at all that V/M are great but 4CC and then worlds-Gold? And I like V/M more than D/W-though that is based on last season.

vCash
    So, if the US doesn't produce a big medal haul, what's the big deal?

vCash
    When was the last time the US won lots of medals at World's? Why is a big medal haul even a hope/expectation?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    "Lots" is subjective but 3+ seems like a good enough number. At 2006 Worlds, the US won three medals--gold in ladies, bronze in dance, and bronze in men.

I don't know why people don't know why an American would want American skaters to earn a lot of medals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    So, if the US doesn't produce a big medal haul, what's the big deal?
    Death of Figure Skating as we know it ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    "Lots" is subjective but 3+ seems like a good enough number. At 2006 Worlds, the US won three medals--gold in ladies, bronze in dance, and bronze in men.
    Not to nitpick, but the US won four that year. In addition to the ones you mentioned, Cohen won a bronze.

In 2007 the US won one, 2008 it won one, 2009 it won two, and 2010 it won one. If Davis and White medal (which is basically guaranteed), that will be right in line with other recent years. Czisny might very well give the US another, but that's only if her comeback year continues. Her previous worlds appearances did not go well.
    Last edited by DuckLikesSkate; 02-01-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    What's the big deal? He is speculating given the current and recent standings and realistic chances. I thought his Carroll/Nagasu article was a lot more provocative (mooning the audience?!?!?!).
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I just wanna say we're being quick here to write a bunch of people off... I say let's see them skate at Worlds and then complain.

I also wanted to point out that I heard on IceNetwork commentary this weekend during Ice Dance that one of the commentators said V/M are not competing this season.

Don't know if that was a mistake, but I'm just saying.

vCash
    I think that the US will place in top 10 in all disciplines. I doubt that the men, ladies and pairs are suckilicious enough that they won't at least maintain 2 slots for next year. I am really interested to see if they can get 3 spots in ice dance. In ice dance, it really is a calculations game. If V&M don't go, then they have a far better shot at getting the 3 spots. If V&M go, even if they don't win, the Shib's still place one slot lower in the standings and it is about number crunching.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast