Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Why make more hassle for yourself then simply buying several bags of different chips and several jars of salsa ? That way you can put all your energy into making a great tablescape for the guys to enjoy. Go Team!

vCash
    This is an easy recipe that people have really liked every time I've used it.

1 Pkg. big flour tortillas (I usually use 8 or so)
    2 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, room temp.
    1 pkg. dry Ranch dressing mix
    three finely grated carrots (They just add color; you really can't taste them.
    small bunch green onions, chopped (use less if you prefer)

Mix cream cheese and dressing mix. Add and mix in the other ingredients and spread on the tortillas. Roll up and refrigerate overnight. Slice into pinwheels.

I like these much better than the frozen pinwheels you can buy at places like Sam's. I haven't figured out yet how to make them without wasting the ends of every rolled up tortilla. So I just eat them!

To make a light, sweet snack, spread softened butter or margarine on flour tortillas. Sprinkle with a cinnamon-sugar mixture. Cut into wedges. Bake on a cookie sheet at 350 until they begin to brown. If they're not crisp enough, bake a bit longer. They're really good with fresh fruit or by themselves. Just sweet enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Why make more hassle for yourself then simply buying several bags of different chips and several jars of salsa ? That way you can put all your energy into making a great tablescape for the guys to enjoy. Go Team!
    Well, I didn't actually invite REX but I know he would bring a dish to pass rather than expect to get fed while I am teaching group lessons!

ETA - yes I will probably double up the the cream cheese recipes as I will be leaving before the party starts and can just put it out cold on the table with condiments on top. I have left dips in the fridge before and my husband forgot to take them out. Next year when the Detroit Lions are in the Super Bowl, I will take the night off from skating
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I brown some hamburger, mix it with Tostitos cheese salsa dip and serve with chips. It is ususally gone before the first quarter so make sure you have plenty.
    My family also loves cheese and crackers. 7 layer taco bean dip (more work)

vCash
    Another variation:

Tortillas, cream cheese, ham or turkey or salmon salad.

soften cream cheese spread it on the tortillas, cover with ham or turkey or whatever you like, add lettuce leaves, roll up like a jelly roll, cut into pieces.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    One of my students made this for a class and everyone wolfed it down.

Spread softened cream cheese in the bottom on a glass baking dish (one or two packages, depending on size of pan).

Pour canned no-bean chili on top (one or two cans)

Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese (one or two cups).

Zap in the microwave until it's hot (2-3 minutes for small batch; up to five for large).

Serve with Fritos Scoops (the chips need to be kind of sturdy).

Some people add a layer of salsa. Others add the shredded cheese after heating.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    One of my family's favourites is Spinach Dip & Pumpernickel.

2 round loaves of pumpernickel bread
    1 500g container sour cream
    1 pkg dried vegetable soup mix
    1 to 11/2 c. finely chopped fresh spinach leaves.

The night before, combine the sour cream, soup mix & chopped spinach.
    Day of: slice top off one loaf. Hollow it out (keep pieces as big as you can for chopping into bite size dipping pieces later) & fill with the sour cream mixture. Put the sliced top back on as a lid. Slice the hollowed out pieces and the second loaf of bread into bite size pieces for dipping.

vCash
    Originally Posted by BigB08822
    I've never had it with salsa but we always do this was pepper jelly. Delicious!! I think the salsa would be good but the jelly is sweeter but still has the kick from the peppers. Yummy!

Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    There we go; we just doubled skatemommy's options with no effort.
    Got another one. (which is a variation on the shrimp dip as well)

Block of cream cheese, cocktail sauce over the top, sprinkled with shrimp. Serve w/crackers.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    What did people do before there were blocks of cream cheese?
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Put out a block of cream cheese, cover it with your favorite salsa, surround it with chips and let your company have at it. The hardest thing about this is unwrapping the cream cheese and getting the salsa jar open.
    I saw this thread and was about to recommend this very thing! It's as easy as it gets, delicious and people really love it. I usually serve it with Wheat Thins.

vCash
    How about this cheese ball recipe from allrecipes.com? Some have noted that it's better with real crumbled bacon instead of the chopped nuts.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    If you do have a Costco nearby, they have an amazing spicy artichoke dip.

I like making my own guacamole if avocados are available.

Mash up 2 ripe avocados
    immediately add juice of 2 limes
    dice 2 firm small Roma tomatoes
    crush 2 garlic cloves
    dice 2 small shallots
    1 jalopeno pepper
    salt to taste
    your favorite corn chips
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I mentioned cream cheese first, I think, and even I am now tired of it.

How about stuffed mushroom caps? You can make them the night before; they might be a little time consuming, but not difficult at all and you can just reheat them in the oven before you serve them.
    Last edited by emason; 02-01-2011 at 01:45 PM.

vCash
    Hmmm, just thought of another from a SB party a few years back. Do-it-yourself fajitas.

I stir fried multi-colored peppers with onion and left them on the stove at very low. The night before, I cooked and sliced chicken breasts. I put them in another pan and dumped a jar of salsa in to keep the meat moist. I kept that on warm as well. My guests made their own "fajitas" at their leisure.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Here's an appetizer men really love (women not so much because it gives you terrible onion breath):

Medium slices of quality ham from the deli
    Scallions, peeled but left whole
    Softened cream cheese

Take a slice of ham, spread a good amount of cream cheese onto entire surface, except for the edges, place a whole scallion on the end and roll it inside.

You can then refrigerate the night before and the day of the party right before serving,you can cut into rounds and put them on a plate.

They are really good and quick!

Also, a bowl of hummus, store bought or homemade, surrounded with an assortment of pretzel crisps, tortilla chips, Triscuits, breadsticks, whatever is sturdy enough for dipping.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Take a can of water chestnuts (cut to bite size if they are large).
    Put them in a bowl & cover them with soy sauce. Leave about 5 min then drain.
    Then wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Put in a baking dish and pop it in the oven at 350 degrees until bacon is crisp. Drain well.
    You can do this ahead of time and serve them hot (just microwave about 20 to 30 seconds) or cold
    You can also do this with whole cloves of Garlic or shrimp.

Slice a cucumber (medium thick), put a little miracle whip on top and sprinkle with celery seed. (some of my friends put this on a cracker)

Mix 8 oz cream cheese, 1/2 cup mayo, drain & chop one small jar of green olives, 1 cup chopped pecans and mix together. If it seems too thick, add a little of the juice from the green olives. You can also add some chive or chopped green onion if you like. Serve with your favorite cracker

Fresh Green Dip. (great with veggies)
    • 2 cups mayonnaise
    • 2 cups sour cream
    • 1 lemon, juiced
    • 1/2 cup chopped fresh chives
    • 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
    • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
    Directions:
    In a blender or food processor, mix the mayonnaise, sour cream, lemon juice, chives, parsley and garlic. Serve at once

Get some corn beef and/or pastrami sliced medium at the deli, spread softened cream cheese on the slices and wrap around dill pickles and slice (or leave whole if you use baby dills)

We also do the tortilla wraps with cream cheese
    We mix the cream cheese with lots stuff! Just one of these or any combination you want.
    • Chopped Black Olives
    • Chopped Green Olives
    • Chopped, roasted green chili’s or jalapeños (depending on how hot you want it)
    • Chopped sun-dried tomato’s
    • Chopped green onions
    • Chopped fresh chive
    Then just spread on the tortillas, (we use plain or the flavored), roll & slice.

Get some long toothpicks and alternate cheese & apple (or pear) cubes. (use lemon juice so that the fruit doesn’t turn brown)
    When we do this, we also make some with cheese & salami (or pepperoni) cubes.

Best Ever Chicken Wings
    • 1 cup water
    • 1 cup soy sauce
    • 1 cup sugar
    • 1 small can pineapple juice
    • 1/4 cup vegetable oil
    • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
    • 1 teaspoon ginger
    • 3 -4 lbs cleaned/drained chicken wings drummies
    Directions:
    Mix all ingredients together.
    Pour over wings.
    Refrigerate overnight. (turning occasionally)
    Arrange wings on foil-lined baking sheets.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
    Great hot or cold

Okay...now I am hungry!!
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Take a can of water chestnuts (cut to bite size if they are large). Put them in a bowl & cover them with soy sauce. Leave about 5 min then drain. Then wrap with bacon and secure with a toothpick. Put in a baking dish and pop it in the oven at 350 degrees until bacon is crisp. Drain well.
    You can do this ahead of time and serve them hot (just microwave about 20 to 30 seconds) or cold
    I've made these without the soy sauce but by pour barbecue sauce or a sauce made from brown sugar and ketchup on before baking. You need to be really careful if you bite down into one right out of the oven. The water chestnuts get really hot inside.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    We make chicken wings with just two ingredients: the chicken, and Frank's Red Hot Sauce. It's ideal party food because the timing is very flexible.

Rinse and pat dry chicken wings and drumettes, and place in a baking dish. Douse with Frank's, cover with foil, and bake in a slow oven for an hour or two. Near the end, maybe the last 15 minutes or so, uncover and put back in so juices stick to the chicken. We like them best dry on the outside, but juicy and falling off the bone inside. They can sit in a warm oven for a long time and just get better, and are also good cold.
    Last edited by Jenny; 02-01-2011 at 04:08 PM.

vCash
    This thread is making me feel so hungry...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    We make chicken wings with just two ingredients: the chicken, and Frank's Red Hot Sauce. It's ideal party food because the timing is very flexible.

Rinse and pat dry chicken wings and drumettes, and place in a baking dish. Douse with Frank's, cover with foil, and bake in a slow oven for an hour or two. Near the end, maybe the last 15 minutes or so, uncover and put back in so juices stick to the chicken. We like them best dry on the outside, but juicy and falling off the bone inside. They can sit in a warm oven for a long time and just get better, and are also good cold.
    small town girl here...do you use fresh or frozen? Do you cut the wing from the drum yourself or buy them that way? Hubby lived in Buffalo at one point; he lurves wings!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast