Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash

Dogs killed in Canada after business slows after the Olympics

http://www.mail.com/news/world/16958...-stage-hero1-6

Has anybody read about this? I am absolutely horrified.
    Huskies are gorgeous animals.
    Can anything be done to make sure this kind of "business practices" are eliminated? Sad this is associated with the Games.

vCash
    I read this. I think it's tragic that they couldn't find any work or homes for these poor pups.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=77381

Posted yesterday, I believe. Just slipped off the first page, so probably why you didn't see it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I was talking about this situation at work today. My dog lover boss was horrified but thought what kind of sick individual would agree to kill the dogs in the first place? I agree with her too. How he killed them was disgusting. Why not euthanize them humanely? Oh that is right... a vet said they wouldn't euthanize perfectly healthy dogs.

And all of this was based on them thinking the business would boom after the Olympics. How revolting. This whole situation makes me sick and has completely turned me off of Outdoor Adventures and the people involved should get more than just a 6 month jail sentence// or $10000 fine. Twisted.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    The provincial government announced yesterday that they're striking a task force to look into this particular incident in specific and related matters in general (including regulatory requirements for reporting across agencies -- i.e., why WorkSafe couldn't/wouldn't report this incident when they found about it last year).

On the plus side, the head of the inquiry is a former vet, and I guess investigating a matter after the fact is better than nothing.

On the minus side ... well, it's a government inquiry. Initiated by the same government that cut provincial grants to the SPCA, and gutted various departments that had jurisdiction over regulating and investigating what happens on Crown lease land.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Outdoor Adventures' press releases.

http://www.adventureswhistler.com/media
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    “A veterinarian was contacted, but refused to euthanize healthy animals. Attempts were made to adopt out the dogs with only limited success.”

Which is always the catch when you need to dispose of animals (though it's generally brought up in the context of large animals like horses.) Most vets are not going to want to euthanize, by chemical or by Bell gun, animals that are perfectly healthy.

Not to mention the MASSIVE biohazard that many chemically-euthanized carcasses would cause...you can't bury them without taking extreme care at that point because if something gets at the carcass, the scavenger will die, and when the bodies rot the barbituates leach into the groundwater. You have to incinerate them, compost in a bunker situation (rather than a pile) or render them (ie send to a facility that processes animal carcasses for non-food parts.) Chemical euth isn't a good way to dispose of that many animals at once so I can see why they'd shoot them, but not why they'd apparently take a Keystone Kops method of doing it.

I would be curious to see what proof they have that they did try to rehome the dogs as the second article has the quote from another dogsled tour company about not have been contacted to take any. While they don't generally make good house pets (even non-sled-trained Huskies and Malamutes don't make great pets without exactly the right kind of owner and situation) and wouldn't be great candidates for rehoming, one would think they'd have tried other tour companies and breeders first to see if they needed or wanted the dogs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    one would think they'd have tried other tour companies and breeders first to see if they needed or wanted the dogs.
    I thought they said something like 40 of the best dogs did go to other sled dog companies...

ETA: It was actually 75.
    Relocation and delivery of dogs throughout Canada. Approximately 75 of the most capable dogs were delivered across British Columbia, Alberta and Ontario to other operations. These dogs were given away for free and delivered at Howling Dog's expense
    that was May 2010 though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12