Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Whistler Sled Dog Company Killed 100 Dogs After Post-Olys Slump (threads merged)

I really don't know what to say about this, other than the owner of the company must have something really wrong with them to force an employee do this

WARNING: Story contains some graphic and disturbing details.

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/sle....html?tab=PHOT
    Last edited by overedge; 01-31-2011 at 08:51 PM.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

Fearless Musher
    vCash
    Oh gawd... I have sled dogs, I've been a musher most of my life. I'm NOT going to read this or I'll be sick.
    "I missed the view and viewed the mist..." ©

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cholla View Post
    Oh gawd... I have sled dogs, I've been a musher most of my life. I'm NOT going to read this or I'll be sick.
    I don't have sled dogs...I'm more of a cat person than a dog person, and I'm not going to read it either. The thread title made me sick.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I had to change the radio station driving in this morning when that story came on.

Sometimes humans really suck.

vCash
    This is sickening. It's horrible to put all those dogs down (can they not go to rescue owners?) but to do it brutally is just uncalled for.

Sad, because going dog sledding has always been on my Alaska vacation plans, but now I wonder if supporting tourist operations is a very bad idea...

vCash
    I won't be reading it either, but will say RIP doggies...it's a shame some humans are heartless. I hope that company gets put out of business. Bastards.

vCash
    Yeah, there's no way I could read this article. I would have just quit or let myself be fired, there's no way I would have killed those dogs.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    ... It's horrible to put all those dogs down (can they not go to rescue owners?) ...
    In the case of sled dogs, it's extremely difficult to "rescue" them. They're bred & trained to be pack animals, and they don't transition well to a normal pet environment. The only intervention possible would be to send them somewhere North where they could continue their lives as sled dogs.

But don't get me started on how inappropriate I think it is to even have a "tourist attraction" featuring sleds dogs in the first place ...

vCash
    This is horrible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    In the case of sled dogs, it's extremely difficult to "rescue" them.
    Thanks for the explanation. They still should have gone to a vet to be euthanized, if that was the only solution.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I'm sorry but this man has to take responsibility for his part in all of this. Should he have ever been asked to do that? Absolutely not, but he was and he went ahead and did it. I can honestly say that I wouldn't have done it. I wouldn't have done it for even 1 dog, let alone 100. Even if a dog was sick, I would have taken it to the vet and had it done the right way. I don't care if my job was threatened and I knew I had the last job on earth. I couldn't have done it. He has to take responsibility for his fair share. No one made him do this, he was asked and he obliged.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    How utterly horrific! Poor dogs....
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    I'm not going to read it. Just knowing it happened has made me : I'm going to cuddle with my puppies and mourn those poor dogs

vCash
    That is just sick. Sick, sick, sick.

vCash
    monstrous

vCash
    I am so mad right now. I would have driven up there to adopted one, had I known about this.

vCash
    Sick. I've booked other tour packages with Outdoor Adventures, but I'm going to tell them that my partner and I refuse to book with them any more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    Sick. I've booked other tour packages with Outdoor Adventures, but I'm going to tell them that my partner and I refuse to book with them any more.
    I agree. I heard it first thing this morning on the news and my first thought was I hope this stupid company is punished!!! If not with criminal charges (not sure if there are any?) then at least I hope everyone remembers the name of the company and NEVER USES THEM AGAIN. Poor babies, they didn't deserve that!!!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. They still should have gone to a vet to be euthanized, if that was the only solution.
    I agree. Even shooting the dogs one at a time (like had been previously done) may not have guaranteed instant death.

And for those of you who hold the employee as accountable as the company (or moreso), keep in mind that when it came time for me to end my senior thesis project, I preferred that my 30 quail die peacefully by my hands rather than in the mouths of coyotes or some other unfamiliar place where their well-being could not be guaranteed. It's very possible that this man thought the same, but was overwhelmed by the sheer number of dogs involved and the utter chaos that ensued. When shooting a dog is an accepted manner of euthanasia, maybe he thought that he'd be able to handle more than one, but it turned into something completely out of his control due to the sheer number of them.

Not that I agree with any of this, of course. They should have taken them to be euthanized peacefully. Not like this.

vCash
    I did read the story and, while I wanted to know what happened, I can truthfully say that I feel more disgusted and horrified than have by anything in a very long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast