Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    *shrugs* compared to a lot of other sports, I still think skating fans have it pretty good...there are so many others that get no coverage at all.

I suppose the reaction is natural since there used to be so much MORE coverage due to the boom in the 90s though...
    That's very true. If it's not one of the big 3 and Nascar, it doesn't doesn't draw enough viewers to make advertisers buy ad time.

I suspect NBC negotiated the deal as an all or nothing with the ISU precisely so they could control content during the Olympic year. Since it's a non-Olympic year they're only interested in US events. I wouldn't be at all surprised for them to drop the GP coverage and only show US nationals until 2013 as part of the lead up to 2014 coverage.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    What's most perplexing to me is why NBC bothers to go out of its way to show the less important GP series (with the exception of 1 event) and the Final, but not show the World Championships.
    NBC's weekend schedule in March is full of golf tournaments, including the week of Worlds. There's no time in NBC's schedule to show coverage of Worlds unless they show it in April, several weeks after Worlds are over. NBC doesn't have much on its schedule in the fall, which is why we get coverage of the GP events.

vCash
    I think CBC is planning to air World's- they advertised it when they were showing 4CC's, but I haven't been able to find a tv schedule yet.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper88 View Post
    I think CBC is planning to air World's- they advertised it when they were showing 4CC's, but I haven't been able to find a tv schedule yet.
    Tapper, I believe this thread is mostly about US coverage. FYI, however, CBC will be showing daily highlights from Worlds while BOLD will have the full event live and will be, I believe, replaying it during the daytime hours for those not up all night.

Their planned schedule is here: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/figureskati...-schedule.html
    Can't skate but love to watch

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Finally, some coverage updates.

All coverage listed below is on Universal Sports TV
    all times Eastern

Wednesday, March 16
    6:00pm - 8:00pm: EUROPEANS - Ladies and Men FS

Thursday, March 17
    6:00pm - 8:00pm: FOUR CONTINENTS - Men and Pairs FS

Friday, March 18
    6:00pm - 8:00pm FOUR CONTINENTS - Ladies FS and FD

WORLDS!!!!

all coverage is same day

Wednesday, March 23
    12:00pm - 1:30pm Men SP and Pairs SP

Thursday, March 24
    12:00pm - 1:30pm Men FS and Pairs FS

Friday, March 25
    12:00pm - 1:30pm Ladies SP and SD

Saturday, March 26
    12:00pm - 1:30pm Ladies FS and FD

source: http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/s...9008281856.xml

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I wonder if they'll stream it on the web site so those of us who do not have Universal sports can watch? I'll pay for the subscription. I'll have to pay to watch the Russian feed on web TV and the cost is essentially the same.

vCash
    Good news. Now if only we knew of a live stream for those of us who don't get the TV channel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post

WORLDS!!!!

all coverage is same day

Wednesday, March 23
    12:00pm - 1:30pm Men SP and Pairs SP

Thursday, March 24
    12:00pm - 1:30pm Men FS and Pairs FS

Friday, March 25
    12:00pm - 1:30pm Ladies SP and SD

Saturday, March 26
    12:00pm - 1:30pm Ladies FS and FD

source: http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/s...9008281856.xml
    Really? Just 6 hours of TV coverage on Universal Sports? That is massively disappointing compared to the unprecedented live coverage last year. I hope they add more coverage--otherwise we'll just get to see the top 4-5 skates in each discipline.

Clueless American
    vCash
    I agree that the hour and half for two disciplines each day is very disappointing, but I guess it's better than nothing.

on the rink doing synchronized spirals with Michelle Kwan, Sasha Cohen, Shawn Sawyer, Alissa Czisny, Rohene Ward, Yukina Ota, Caroline Zhang & Mirai Nagasu
    vCash
    although I wish we were getting more coverage, Im glad at least something is being shown on Universal sports

vCash
    Wow, this is awful - just a total of 6 hrs (including commercials!) of Worlds on US TV this year, after the great 2009 and 2010 coverages? The only unexpectedly positive news coming from UnivSports is that at least some Four Cs and Euros will be aired.

Last year, I filled an entire 3-ft long shelf with skating DVDs, minus commercials. I'm barely filling two inches this year. Boo!

At least it beats ABC or CBS coverage in the 70s and 80s.
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash

vCash
    I've heard a rumor (still unconfirmed) that IceNetwork may be streaming all of Worlds live.

vCash
    Is Universal Sports a channel like on regular TV or is it a Steaming Internet Channel only? I'm looking for someone to record the Thursday March 17 coverage on DVD and send it to me... I'm in Canada and don't know States coverage. Can anyone clarify?

Thanks!
    Kyle

vCash
    It is both, actually. But UniSports is a niche network that only a handful of people have access to. It's not on basic cable everywhere, for example.

vCash
    Ok thanks! If anyone could make me a DVD copy if they have Universal Sports for the March 17th Coverage of 4CC's I'd SUPER HUGELY APPRECIATE IT! I will pay all costs for the DVD and shipping of course. Please let me know if anyone can help!

Thank You
    Kyle

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Universal Sports TV is an over-the-air broadcast and cable channel. In some areas you can receive it for free over-the-air with an antenna and in some areas (generally the same areas with the over-the-air broadcasts) on cable.

UniversalSports.com (website of Universal Sports) has a premium (usually paid) web video streaming feature that often features subscriptions for live sport events.

The coverage of Four Continents on March 17 is being shown on Universal Sports TV, so if you would like a DVD of it you would need to find someone in the US that has either over-the-air or cable access to this TV channel to record it for you.

I don't have a DVD recorder otherwise I would volunteer.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I've heard a rumor (still unconfirmed) that IceNetwork may be streaming all of Worlds live.
    Oh please please please let this rumor come true!!! Make sure to post when you hear more!!

I hate my friggin' cable company. They were offered Universal Sports ... and turned it down!!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    If IN carries it, good. If US.com carries it, good. If Russian webTV carries it, good. I'll pay the extra amount for US or the Russian feed if necessary. I consider $10 a worthy expenditure. I'd prefer it to be IN since I already have a subscription, but I'll go with whoever lets me see V/T skate.

vCash
    ^ OT, but where/who does your signature handle come from?

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast