Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Galindo as a senior solo skater, when he won his memorable National title (96?). That was so unexpected.

vCash
    Oh add Miki Ando to the list! She won Japanese nationals by a HUGE margin this year in a deep field and she hadn't won in like 4 years or so. Also if she manages to win Worlds this year, or even medal there, that would be a big deal, especially because so many people thought she was done after the 2006 olympics, and then she went on the win worlds the next year!

vCash
    Excellent post, this is a very inspiring year to see so many 'oldies' who had been written off by most of the people fought their way back to the top. That's a beautiful aspect of the sport. I'm so happy for them.

vCash
    Maria Butyrskaya won World's at 26 and European's at 29.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Yuko Kavaguti was 28 last year when she won the Eurpoean gold and Robin Szolkowy is 31!

I was so happy Rudi Galindo won nationals in 96. He was also a talented skater and I was glad he got to prove it as well. I was in tears by the time he was done skating.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by neptune View Post
    Apparently Chris Christenson won for the first time in 1926 at the age of 51. He started skating when he was 39.
    So there's hope for me after all...

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    I think Bradley was mocking Viktor Petrenko.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Squibble View Post
    Just a reminder for those of you who would write someone off when he or she still has the ability, physical condition, and wherewithal to keep skating and to do well:

Konstantin Menshov won his first Russian National Championship this season at the age of 28. He had never finished higher than fourth at Russian Nationals.

Sarah Meier just won her first European Championship at the age of 26. She finished in 26th place at Worlds last season.

Ryan Bradley just won his first United States National Championship at the age of 27. He had not finished in the Top Three since 2007, when he won the silver medal.

Alissa Czisny just won United States Nationals at the age of 23. She finished tenth last season.

Shawn Sawyer won his first silver medal at Canadian Nationals this season at the age of 26. He had not finished in the Top Three since 2008.

And for these athletes, the victory must feel even sweeter and more special when it comes after such disappointment.

vCash
    Flatt..everyone written her off , being out of place in GPF, and now she is going again to Worlds..(Mirai )

vCash
    Delobel and Schoenfelder, after so many fourth places, won Euros at the ages of 28 and 29 and Worlds the following season at the ages of 29 and 30.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Konstantin Menshov certainly has the Toeloop down.

vCash
    Thank you! Inspiring thread!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SmallFairy View Post
    Alexander Abt was struggling with injuries for so long, he couldn't even make the Russian team, except from 1998, when he won bronze at Euros.

But Sasha kept fighting, and in 2002 at 26, he came back with a booom, landing the quad consistently, winning silver at Euros (he should have won!) and finishing 5 th at the Olympics.

In 2003, he finally won his first (and only) national title, at 27!! Way to go
    I LOVE Sasha! If he hadn't had another #wuzrobbed moment at the Olys we could have had a Russian sweep of the podium - now wouldn't that have been something!

I always think it was a shame he was so injury-prone, because he had such beautiful soft edges.

And this Christenson guy is my new hero. 39 and National Champion at 51! There is hope yet!

vCash
    I would like to add Canadian pairs skater Eric Radford to this list, going to his first Worlds (with Meagan Duhamel) at age 26!

vCash
    I’d like to add Kevin van der Perren. He is 28 years old. He put two great performances at European. Considering the member, I think the 4th place is very good result for him. And the Euro might be his last competition. Please don’t say that a skater should retire only because she/he is old/veteran or inconsistent!

vCash
    Don't forget Shen and Zhao, winning the Olympics at.. 32 and 36?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    ^THIS! All the "is so-and-so done?" threads make me laugh. If you've followed this sport for more than five minutes, you know how many of these comeback stories there are!
    ITA In 2008-2009 ish, everyone was saying things like 'stick a fork in them' about Pang & Tong, and that they were past it and should retire - then they go and win the free at the Olympics (with a performance) and a 2nd world title

I'm seeing the same comments now - they're done, they're on the way down - I wouldn't be surprised if they prove people wrong again at Worlds

(The people who said that about P&T before Vancouver were likely the same people who were bleating that if Domnina & Shabalin won the Olympic CD, the obvious politiks meant they were set up for certain victory...)

Quote Originally Posted by chrysanthemum View Post
    I’d like to add Kevin van der Perren. He is 28 years old. He put two great performances at European. Considering the member, I think the 4th place is very good result for him. And the Euro might be his last competition. Please don’t say that a skater should retire only because she/he is old/veteran or inconsistent!
    Absolutely. Why are people always saying he should retire?? Whether you like his style or not, he's still improving! His SP at Europeans was terrific, and he was so close to winning his third medal. Goooo Kevin

Another possible one to add is Shizuka Arakawa, coming off a pretty dismal Worlds to upset the two favourites and take Olympic gold (Wasn't she something like 3rd at Japan Nats too?)

vCash
    Pang & Tong in general only do well even when they are skating well when others arent. It has nothing to do with age or being past it or not, that has how it has always been for them, even in their peak years (whatever those were). In the last decade alone Totmianina & Marinin, Shen & Zhou, Sale & Pelletier, Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, Petrova & Tikhonov, Zhang & Zhang, Savchenko & Szolkowy, and probably some others are their best are easily better than Pang & Tong at their best. Pang & Tong win medals and titles when they do by being consistent and more capable skaters falling apart. Last season they didnt do well only because they were skating really well. They did well since Savchenko & Szolkowy were badly off form, Kavaguti & Smirnov constantly self destructing in the long program, and the Zhangs and Dube & Davison in a bad slump. If they skate their best at Worlds I doubt it would mean much this time around with the Germans back to their best, Volosozhar & Trankov a team now, and Kavaguti & Smirnov getting more consistent this season. There are many teams better than them both technically and artistically. They dont have the tricks or technical ability of Shen & Zhou, the Zhangs, or the top Germans or Russian pairs, and artistically she has dreadful line and positions amongst other shortcomings.

They were also probably the only 2 time World Champions ever never even briefly considered the best pair in the World. Both years they won Worlds were with the Olympic Champions and then dominant team in the World, both teams Pang & Tong did not even beat once their entire careers (Totmianina & Marinin in 06 and Shen & Zhou in 2010), absent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Pang & Tong in general only do well even when they are skating well when others arent. It has nothing to do with age or being past it or not, that has how it has always been for them, even in their peak years (whatever those were). In the last decade alone Totmianina & Marinin, Shen & Zhou, Sale & Pelletier, Berezhnaya & Sikharulidze, Petrova & Tikhonov, Zhang & Zhang, Savchenko & Szolkowy, and probably some others are their best are easily better than Pang & Tong at their best. Pang & Tong win medals and titles when they do by being consistent and more capable skaters falling apart. Last season they didnt do well only because they were skating really well. They did well since Savchenko & Szolkowy were badly off form, Kavaguti & Smirnov constantly self destructing in the long program, and the Zhangs and Dube & Davison in a bad slump.
    I wouldn't lump all those pairs together. Pang & Tong are certainly capable of beating Zhangs and S&S, and most certainly Russian P&T, who were never on par with the top teams.

If P&T skate like they did at the Olympics in the LP, they can definitely rival S&S. S&S have stronger basics, yes, but P&T have much more of a connection. When they are on (which is rare), they are very lovely and can be enchanting.

P&T lack consistency and can be sloppy. If they fix these two issues, they might well beat a clean S&S.

If they skate their best at Worlds I doubt it would mean much this time around with the Germans back to their best, Volosozhar & Trankov a team now, and Kavaguti & Smirnov getting more consistent this season. There are many teams better than them both technically and artistically. They dont have the tricks or technical ability of Shen & Zhou, the Zhangs, or the top Germans or Russian pairs, and artistically she has dreadful line and positions amongst other shortcomings.

They were also probably the only 2 time World Champions ever never even briefly considered the best pair in the World. Both years they won Worlds were with the Olympic Champions and then dominant team in the World, both teams Pang & Tong did not even beat once their entire careers (Totmianina & Marinin in 06 and Shen & Zhou in 2010), absent.[/QUOTE]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    ^THIS! All the "is so-and-so done?" threads make me laugh. If you've followed this sport for more than five minutes, you know how many of these comeback stories there are! Just look at the guy in my username . . .

Agree, but I guess one, Johnny Weir, is the despised exception ... yeah, I know it's mainly because (among many posters' beliefs) Johnny's just "a whiner who can't accept the scoring system."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast