Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Title-less
    vCash
    Jeremy reflecting on his performances at nationals:
    http://www.universalsports.com/video...aa34535bf.html

vCash
    I don't think Jeremy has much to do. He had a boot problem all season. I think he was worn out from the Olympics.
    Universal is still showing the reruns from Nationals and I still think the judges could have put him into 3rd. His edges and transitions were better then Minors.
    And he is still right up near the top of the overall standings.
    Fix boot issues, train, rest and get back to work.

Title-less
    vCash
    Jeremy said all last year how it was his dream to go to the Olympics. Now that the O's over, perhaps he hasn't found a goal as pressing as the Olympics--yet.

We'll see how he'll do next season. I'd actually like to see him overcome a major obstacle to skate well (like boot issues for instance).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Well, you can be as sure as you want but the truth is that we'll never know how he would've done at Worlds since he isn't going. However, how many times have we predicted doom and gloom for a skater based on their GP performances then have it be totally different by the time Worlds comes around? Same thing for the opposite.

I remember last year most of FSU was predicting a horribly skated ladies event at the Olympics based on the GP and it turned out to be arguably the best skated event of all the disciplines. What about Evan not qualifying for the GP Final in 2008-2009 and placing third at Nationals only to win Worlds?
    Evan was always a very solid competitor, and considering the inconsistency of a lot of the top men, it probably shouldn't have been that shocking to anyone that he stepped up in the big moments.

You can't compare Jeremy because while Jeremy is an amazing skater, the guy tends to crumble under the pressure. Yes I think its totally possible that Jeremy could someday have a Wylie moment, but the USFSA can't be placing their eggs in the basket of Jeremy having it at this point. They need start testing some of the other guys and seeing who they can eventually start relying on in the push to Sochi. Abbott is a lovely skater, but as a competitor he's not reliable at all, and he might not even be there in Sochi.

And I agree that its time for Jeremy to toughen up. He's not the first skater who has injury problems, boot problems etc. The USFSA didn't make excuses for Weir when Weir showed up sick at Nationals, why should excuses be made for Jeremy. Say what you will about Johnny "stagnating etc" but Johnny was the reiging world and GPF bronze medalist that year. And has always been reliable when it comes to earning qualifying spots.

And as for Abbott having a better track record than Miner. Jeremy is 25, and Miner is what 20? Jeremy has been on the Senior international circuit for how long and how long has Miner? Jeremy should have a better track record than Miner.

Please don't make it sound like I'm down on Abbott, Jeremy is my favorite US male by far, but I'm not sure how anyone can say that the guy has a good track record. Abbott's never skated to anywhere near his potential at the most important events.

vCash
    I can't say that Jeremy's post-LP interview (linked above) did a huge lot to endear him to me. It reeked of entitlement. He needs to lose that attitude if he wants to resuscitate his career.

When you do poorly, what you need to do is go back and say, "What do I need to do differently?"

For a start, he could use music the crowd would clap to. When a skate is going badly, (and that is something that happens to Jeremy), sometimes the crowd can lift you, but you can't depend on it. The right music is always reliable. Case in point, Sasha Cohen's Olympic LP 2006, case in point, Ryan Bradley's LP 2011. Both started really badly, and finished really, really well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I can't say that Jeremy's post-LP interview (linked above) did a huge lot to endear him to me. It reeked of entitlement. He needs to lose that attitude if he wants to resuscitate his career.

When you do poorly, what you need to do is go back and say, "What do I need to do differently?"

For a start, he could use music the crowd would clap to. When a skate is going badly, (and that is something that happens to Jeremy), sometimes the crowd can lift you, but you can't depend on it. The right music is always reliable. Case in point, Sasha Cohen's Olympic LP 2006, case in point, Ryan Bradley's LP 2011. Both started really badly, and finished really, really well.
    Entitlement??

I heard him say (paraphrased), "in skating you have to bring 90% to 99%; you can't have a 50% shooting average like in basketball, and today I didn't hit that." He said he loved his programs and thought he'd skated two fairly solid programs but that they weren't his best and that he was still honored to represent the USA. To me, that doesn't sound like "blah blah bittercakes I can't believe they didn't hold me up and make me champion anyway."
    Last edited by LilJen; 02-14-2011 at 07:16 PM.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Entitlement??

I heard him say (paraphrased), "in skating you have to bring 90% to 99%; you can't have a 50% shooting average like in basketball, and today I didn't hit that." He said he loved his programs and thought he'd skated two fairly solid programs but that they weren't his best and that he was still honored to represent the USA.
    Nothing inappropriate there; just his honest feelings.
    He's "entitled" to them, isn't he?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nashvilledancer View Post
    Spin requirements changed this season. Can anyone with tech knowledge explain the requirements and what Jeremy's doing to meet them (or what he could do differently)?
    I haven't been keeping track of which features Jeremy had been using or which ones he changed this year. Answering that part of the question would require actual research!

The biggest changes in the spin requirements this year are:

The flying spin and the change-foot spin in the senior men's short program can no longer be the same basic position; no more sit-change sit and flying sit in the same SP. Therefore some guys have chosen to use camel position for one or the other (guys who are also competing junior the same season will stick with the same spins for junior and senior SP), and a few others including Jeremy have chosen to use a flying upright spin.

Change of edge no longer counts as a feature in upright or back sitspin positions.

(Change of direction no longer counts in upright spins either, but hardly anyone was using that feature anyway.)

There are stricter limits on repeating difficult variations or using variations that are too similar to each other in different spins in the same program.

vCash
    A lovely little video interview with Jeremy on Universal Sports website.
    http://www.universalsports.com/video...will+forgotten

There is zero "sense of entitlement" in Jeremy, at least as I understand him.
    improving my ballad- like lines

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    It seems his biggest problem is a lack of consistent tunnel vision. He has said before that he has to focus on every single detail during his programs rather than going on autopilot. He convincingly beat Evan in both 2009 and 2010 before those respective year's Worlds and Olympics, so he is absolutely right that he CAN do it and it (his mind) is something that he has control over. He needs to stop being his worst enemy on the ice, but that is easier said than done. I'll never stop believing in him or being a BIG fan of his. He absolutely does have some amazing qualities to offer this sport and his true fans will never forget him!

Title-less
    vCash
    I thought Jeremy's short at 4cc was just so-so, but I'm glad he stopped having major jump problems in the second half of his long. Wish he did a 3-3 though

ETA: By the way I'm convinced that in every comp, only one of Yuka/Jason's students is "allowed" (by Skategod LOL?) to do well. Czisny won nationals while Jeremy placed 4th. Since Jeremy medals at 4cc, I'm afraid Czisny won't.
    Last edited by jlai; 02-19-2011 at 08:05 PM.

vCash
    I am pretty sure someone else said it here before, but it'd be very neat to see him in pairs (he could still do singles if he wanted to) as he'd have someone else out there with him and I think that would help with the nerves and all of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I thought Jeremy's short at 4cc was just so-so, but I'm glad he stopped having major jump problems in the second half of his long. Wish he did a 3-3 though

ETA: By the way I'm convinced that in every comp, only one of Yuka/Jason's students is "allowed" (by Skategod LOL?) to do well. Czisny won nationals while Jeremy placed 4th. Since Jeremy medals at 4cc, I'm afraid Czisny won't.
    Well, it would have been better for Jeremy to do well at Nationals, in order to go to Worlds

vCash
    I think one thing that could boost Jeremy is to get his spins back so that they work towards closing the gap on the other guys rather than further distancing him by losing small points here and there.

He's capable of level 4 spins with the right layouts, but he's hemorrhaging levels and GoE on his spins this season.

vCash
    It says on Jeremy's twitter than he wished he'd done another 2T at Nationals so he could go to the Worlds. Hmm. I know he's referring to the 0.19 point difference, but I'm not sure whether to take it as rude or not.

vCash
    Ahh the limitations of life in 146 letters, or whatever the Twitter limit is. I wouldn't try to draw too many inferences from any Twit's Tweet on Twitter. (Is the correct thing to call a person who uses Twitter a Twit? I think so )

Whatever, a better way to put it would be, "If I skated better at USNats, I'd be at Worlds. I regret it."

vCash
    You can take it as rude, but it really isn't untrue.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash

One more double toe loop, eh?

http://www.usfigureskating.org/leade...6/results.html

Abbott's planned LP jump elements:

4T, 3F, 3A+3T, 2A, 3A, 3R+2T+2R, 3Z+2T, 3S

Abbott's executed LP elements:

3Z, 3F, 3A+2T, 3A, 3Z<<+SEQ, 3R+2T+2T<, 3S, 2A

The place to add the 2T would have been at the end of the second 3Z. But if he'd executed the second 3Z properly, he wouldn't even have needed the additional 2T!

Last edited by Squibble; 02-24-2011 at 05:18 PM. Reason: To correct the jump at the end of the 3-2-2 as he actually did it

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    If his one spin hadn't been called Level1, that would have done it too.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast