Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I will say that I do if the USFS might find a way to change their entries to Worlds if Jeremy were to score extremely well and land on the podium with either a Silver (entirely possible) or Gold (unlikely, given how Kozuka has skated this season). Takahashi has been hit-or-miss this season, but I haven't followed his progress since the GPF (4th) and Japanese Nats (3rd).
    About the only ways USFS could succeed in getting Jeremy to compete at Worlds is to:
    1. Get some thug to break one of the guys who are going to Worlds' kneecap.
    2. Get Scott Hamilton to hire Bradley for a huge salary, contingent on Ryan's not going to Worlds.
    3. Pay off Miner or Dornbush not to go to Worlds.

They did all they could by not sending any of the 3 medallists to 4 CC's.

vCash
    I'm blaming it on his name. Just a bad luck season for skating Jeremys.

Jeremy Ten out of his Nationals, injured. Jeremy Abbott, out of WC, boot issues and ?, Jeremy Barrett out of 4CC, injured.

vCash
    Jeremy Barrett's out? that sucks

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    About the only ways USFS could succeed in getting Jeremy to compete at Worlds is to:
    2. Get Scott Hamilton to hire Bradley for a huge salary, contingent on Ryan's not going to Worlds.
    3. Pay off Miner or Dornbush not to go to Worlds.

They did all they could by not sending any of the 3 medallists to 4 CC's.
    back atcha.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to inject three at my post or get so goddamned nasty - for god's sake, all I did was pose a question. It was hardly as though I was whining or wuzrobbing at his not being placed on the World Team.

vCash
    ... About the only ways USFS could succeed in getting Jeremy to compete at Worlds is to:
    Don't give them ideas. I am sure that the USFS is desperate for the ratings it got after a different whack, and I don't want one of the men framed for something they didn't do.

vCash
    I apologize, Cyn--but it's one of those things that just isn't happening. And people have said so again and again. In fact, I don't recall that it has ever happened that a USFS skater who had been already announced to a team was pulled off it for any other reason than injury (Jeremy Barrett : ) or malfeasance requiring banning from competition (Tonya) in the 40 years I have been watching skating.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Much as I love his skating, the past two seasons, I found more of his programs to be a little snoozy and unless skated perfectly, it was very easy to lose interest (last season's SP to Jeff Beck's "A Day In The Life" was IMO one of his most boring programs to date),
    Oh, I SO disagree on that one. That's one of my favorite SPs ever.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    Ditto for me! I especially loved how the footwork and spins fit the music so perfectly. Shae Lynn Bourne's choreography was great!

Title-less
    vCash
    I like most of his programs, though I must say Mazquerade Waltz was the only one I enjoyed whether he skated it cleanly or not. The other ones do depend on his being clean to some degree -- esp. last year's long program.

vCash
    I would so love to see him do that waltz program again, with the growth he's shown in interpretation.

vCash
    It is one of my favorite SP. And as a Kwan fan, I didn't really like Michelle's version, and prefer Jeremy's.

I apologize, Cyn--but it's one of those things that just isn't happening. And people have said so again and again. In fact, I don't recall that it has ever happened that a USFS skater who had been already announced to a team was pulled off it for any other reason than injury (Jeremy Barrett : ) or malfeasance requiring banning from competition (Tonya) in the 40 years I have been watching skating.
    I think this is an interesting question, since the results were so close. The winner (Ryan Bradley) was only 4th in the LP, and we don't know how Richard and Ross will react for their first World championships.
    I'm sure many people in the USFS wanted to send other skaters than those 3.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    From a technical and choreographic viewpoint, ITA. I just felt it was wasted on music that didn't do it justice - I realize this is JMO, but that version of ADITL is somewhat soporific (but then again, I'm not a fan of The Beatles). If I were a judge, I'd hear the music, and unless the skater was flawless and skated with total verve and passion, it wouldn't stand out, especially when compared with other SPs from last season.

vCash
    There are other skaters that USFS probably never wanted to send and did: Chris Bowman, Nicole Bobek, Tonya Harding (1991 & 1992), etc. However, those were the skaters that qualified in the years they were sent, and they were announced for the team at Nationals.

The closest they ever came to doing something like that was sending Paul Wylie instead of Mark Mitchell to Olympics (and sending Mark to Worlds). But they announced it was that way just after Nationals. And they never heard the end of it about that one. And in 1980, when they sent Zayak instead of Lenz. In both cases, they split Olympics and Worlds. They didn't do a "No candy for you" trip on the medallists when there was just Worlds without Olympics.

In 1980, Sandy Lenz finished third at the U.S. Championships and went to the Olympics, but she was left off the world team for up-and-coming Elaine Zayak. In 1992, when Todd Eldredge was given an injury exemption for the Olympics, Paul Wylie and Mark Mitchell, who finished second and third at nationals, split the Olympic and world team spots.

Wylie went to the Albertville Games, where he skated the best performance of his life to win a silver medal, and Mitchell competed at worlds.
    http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories...h_220366.shtml

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    The closest they ever came to doing something like that was sending Paul Wylie instead of Mark Mitchell to Olympics (and sending Mark to Worlds). But they announced it was that way just after Nationals. And they never heard the end of it about that one.
    Which is exactly why when a a skating friend of mine said perhaps Mark Mitchell would pull Ross Miner out of Worlds to let Jeremy go, I said NO WAY.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    go back to broadmoor-
    why-ogm medalist from broadmoor where they will cheat for him,
    ryan skater worse than jeremy stayed in 1st --broadmoor

broadmoor- ogm medalist-dick, peggy, dorothy

sc new york- sarah, carol heiss,
    sc boston- tenley
    tara-Detroit sc; now alissa
    how many people on trip was from those clubs.
    now
    scott hamilton-philadelphis fsc
    brian boitano-pennisula fsc
    kristi-st moritz.
    nothing cliqueish sure
    those are facts--just stating obvious,

vCash
    Well, Jeremy's current club is Detroit SC so your club clique conspiracy theory doesn't hold water, sorry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by query5 View Post
    go back to broadmoor-
    why-ogm medalist from broadmoor where they will cheat for him,
    Pretty funny. Evan is coached by Frank Carroll, and trained in California.

ryan skater worse than jeremy stayed in 1st --broadmoor
    Again funny. Jeremy crashed, burned and scratched his way through US Nationals. I understand he had new boots, which may explain it. Although at his best, he is better than Ryan, he just was not at his best.

broadmoor- ogm medalist-dick, peggy, dorothy
    Dick was Skating Club of Boston throughout his amateur career.
    Dorothy started from the east coast, but moved to Broadmoor later.
    Peggy was Broadmoor.

sc new york- sarah, carol heiss,
    sc boston- tenley
    tara-Detroit sc; now alissa
    how many people on trip was from those clubs.
    Which trip? the 1961 trip????

now
    scott hamilton-philadelphis fsc
    brian boitano-pennisula fsc
    kristi-st moritz.
    nothing cliqueish sure
    those are facts--just stating obvious,
    You got some of the clubs wrong. Not to mention Mroz would have been the Broadmoor's boy for the push this year, I would think. Ryan was at Nationals being coached by his sister, although his previous coach Tom Z was in the KnC with him. Dornbush is coached by Tammy Gambill (California) and Miner is coached by Mark Mitchell and Peter Jorgensen (Skating Club of Boston).

So your Broadmoor conspiracy theory does not work, not since Carlo Fassi died, anyway.

vCash
    me too!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I think this is an interesting question, since the results were so close. The winner (Ryan Bradley) was only 4th in the LP, and we don't know how Richard and Ross will react for their first World championships.
    I'm sure many people in the USFS wanted to send other skaters than those 3.
    I was sitting on my couch, watching Nats, minding my own business, when Dornbush skated his LP. I remember thinking "whoa! If he's in 7th, imagine what ELSE we're going to see!" I guess you can imagine my reaction for most of the afternoon...

[Actually, I went to go get a drink or something and missed a few performances, including Miner and Mroz. Somehow, when it was all over, I got the idea that the podium was Bradley/Dornbush/Mroz. Imagine my reaction when I saw that the world team was Bradley/Dornbush/Miner!]

Anyway, I assume that USFS officials felt like it was 2008 in ladies all over again (although this was slightly different) and just put together the best team it thought it could.

I hope that all three men whip out top-ten performances, but I have no way of guessing (although I'm pretty much obsessed with Ryan's short, so I'm looking forward to seeing that again!).

Also, a funny story: when the event ended, I read about Joshua Farris' ankle. I told my mom about that and that he placed 21/22 competitors. She said, "boy, would I hate to be the guy who placed below the guy who broke his ankle!"

vCash
    Going into next season, he needs to

- re-think his spins. Looking back on Jeremy's spins in his programs from the previous two seasons when compared to this one, it's like watching a different skater altogether. They're slower, the positions seem awkward, and (obviously) they were more prone to losing levels than before. Ditto for his FW.
    Spin requirements changed this season. Can anyone with tech knowledge explain the requirements and what Jeremy's doing to meet them (or what he could do differently)? His spins are quite different from other peoples' and I think are really interesting looking and fit the music. His sit spin position is so stretched and low. His cross-foot spins are cool as is his upright spin with the back leg extended to the side. Others also have had some difficulty meeting the requirements of technical callers--Joubert, for one.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast