Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    My simple answer: I think that as long as Jeremy stays true to himself as a person and to the "vision" he has for his own skating, he will be just fine.
    This!

judgejudy, he produced the skate I posted at the National Championships/Olympic Qualifier, where there is arguably more pressure than at the Olympics themselves.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Based on Abbott's middling track record at Worlds, I get the USFSA choosing newbies Miner and Dornbush over him. Both delivered clean SP and FS performances.

That Rippon has blown the short in his last 3 appearances at Nationals, I can understand their frustration with him as well.

Will Adam and Jeremy make the podium at Four Continents. In order to make a case for themselves internationally next season, there is even more pressure to win in Chinese Taipei.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Based on Abbott's middling track record at Worlds, I get the USFSA choosing newbies Miner and Dornbush over him. Both delivered clean SP and FS performances.
    Dornbush's SP wasn't clean. He stepped out of a jump and had some scratchy landings on the other jumps. He'll need a squeaky clean SP at Worlds. His FS was good, though.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    He should have produced that performance in a big event the last 2 years when Lysacek was winning. Today it would do nothing against the likes of Patrick Chan skating like he did at Canadians or Takahashi skating to his potential.
    Chan and Takahashi skate their best very rarely. I'm not saying Abbott would have a good chance to beat them right now, but it's pretty normal to see inconsistency amongst the higher level men. I definitely don't think Abbott has to go into panic mode and chance a bunch of things up because of one rough Nationals skate... He just needs to keep plugging.

Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Miner turned his 3-3 into a 3-2, and Dornbush struggled a bit in the SP. I understand the criticisms of Abbott's track record, but to me they aren't so important when comparing him to someone like Miner, who's track record is not nearly as good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    I don't want him to become another Johnny- all that skill and talent gone to waste.
    ... except I don't think he is "going to waste". Abbott is very true to his vision, his programs are more innovative and experimental every year, and now he is starting to choreograph himself ( he did choreo for his EX at Nationals, and it was lovely). To me, at least, the path he takes is interesting, and more important than medals.
    That said, what he needs to do, when his hand touches the ice after a jump, is to say " screw it, I am going to fight for everything no matter what" and follow up... but easy to say, hard to do.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    Chan and Takahashi skate their best very rarely. I'm not saying Abbott would have a good chance to beat them right now, but it's pretty normal to see inconsistency amongst the higher level men.
    Chan doesnt even need to skate his best to beat the field right now (even his toughest opponents higher up than Abbott). I joked earlier this season in part because of Chantastic judging he had a multi fall cushion over the rest, but realistically in addition to the Chantastic judging he has a multi fall cushion over the rest now since he also simply gotten that great and that much better than the rest too.

And Takahashi I think has a pretty big mistake cushion over even a perfect Abbott as well, especialy as Jeremy doesnt seem to be getting much love from the judges even accounting for his mistakes anymore. Look at how their scores compared to NHK when Takahashi had more mistakes of the two.

vCash
    except I don't think he is "going to waste". Abbott is very true to his vision, his programs are more innovative and experimental every year,
    I think I agree with this. I think I meant he's been somewhat "off" the entire season, not just at Nationals. He hasn't been nearly the skater he was last season, and his scores show it. So- it really will be a comeback if he is able to get himself back to or surpass where he was last year.

I appreciate his vision and creativeness, but if he doesn't skate well enough to make the World Team, who will see it?

I'm also concerned about 4CC-because he doesn't seem prepared/ready to do well there-won't that just diminish his credibility even more?

vCash
    Look at how their scores compared to NHK when Takahashi had more mistakes of the two.
    Maybe NHK is not the best competition to compare the scores of Takahashi and Abbott, LOL? Anyway, I like both skaters very much, but prefer Takahashi.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    ... except I don't think he is "going to waste". Abbott is very true to his vision, his programs are more innovative and experimental every year, and now he is starting to choreograph himself ( he did choreo for his EX at Nationals, and it was lovely). To me, at least, the path he takes is interesting, and more important than medals.
    That said, what he needs to do, when his hand touches the ice after a jump, is to say " screw it, I am going to fight for everything no matter what" and follow up... but easy to say, hard to do.
    Abbott seems to take the road less traveled and I love his introspective take on his skating and musical choices. They suit him, reflect him, and invite the viewer into his world. When done well, they are absolutely stunning. Jeremy may be having a bad year, but he is a skater I look forward to seeing whenever and wherever he performs.

Perhaps as dinakt says, the medals are not as important to him at this time in his life. There is so much more that Jeremy has to offer. I hope he has the opportunity to show it.

Title-less
    vCash
    [QUOTE=dinakt;3062094To me, at least, the path he takes is interesting, and more important than medals.
    [/QUOTE]

Same here. I don't think he owes anything a medal. But if being a world champ. is #1 priority, of course, other priorities have to take a back seat. But I'm not sure from what he said in interviews that's absolutely what he wants.

I still like to see how he overcomes obstacles as they arise. Again, it's the journey I'm interested in.

vCash
    I don't think Jeremy's season was a disaster. I think his programs established him as an exceptional skater and really set him apart. A year ago he was pretty anonymous. It would have been nice if the COP had rewarded him more, but those programs were HARD and I don't think he skated poorly overall.

As far as credentials, he has two national titles, and didn't he win a GP final previously? What he needed was some buzz and he has that now! I don't think he'll have any problem doing shows.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I don't think Jeremy's season was a disaster. I think his programs established him as an exceptional skater and really set him apart. A year ago he was pretty anonymous....

.... What he needed was some buzz and he has that now!
    We brought a friend to the men's freeskate, and as soon as he saw Jeremy he said, "Hey, isn't that the guy who bombed at the Olympics?" Not the kind of buzz that Jeremy needs.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Woah did anyone else here see Ryan's tweet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    Woah did anyone else here see Ryan's tweet?
    No -- what was it?

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    No -- what was it?
    "I wish people would lay off @jeremyabbottpcf (not you, you're angels) tough sport and we cant be perfect. Hes one of the best weve ever had."

That was very nice of him to say.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    "I wish people would lay off @jeremyabbottpcf (not you, you're angels) tough sport and we cant be perfect. Hes one of the best weve ever had."

That was very nice of him to say.
    Yes -- saw that and thought that was very classy of Ryan.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

Title-less
    vCash
    I think people are very kind to Jeremy when compared to what they say about, errr, Rachael, Mirai, Lysacek, Johnny Weir, Alissa (in the past) and Caroline-some of whom are underaged.

Anyway, nice of Ryan to say that about a competitor.

vCash
    ^ Yeah. I never knew they even talked!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    ^ Yeah. I never knew they even talked!
    They used to train together under Tom Zakrajsek.
    Last edited by Squibble; 02-06-2011 at 04:01 AM.

Blergh
    vCash
    He should have produced that performance in a big event the last 2 years when Lysacek was winning. Today it would do nothing against the likes of Patrick Chan skating like he did at Canadians or Takahashi skating to his potential.
    That may be true, but Abbott needs to skate like that internationally and get a medal before he can think about beating the likes of Chan and Takahashi. I think the scores between him and top will narrow down if he consistently performs up to his potential. I'm not saying he'll beat a perfect Chan or Daisuke, but he needs to "prove" to the critics, fans, and judges that he's not just another headcase artist who can never deliver. Fairly or not, that seems to be his reputation now and judges will stop (if they ever did for Jeremy) giving him the benefit of doubt. I believe his Worlds SP would've scored a lot higher had he performed well in Vancouver, but since he messed up in Vancouver (like at Worlds 2008 and 2009), his clean SP scored lower than what he should have, again IMO.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast