Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 142
  1. #1
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,769
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6417

    What does Jeremy need to do for a comeback?

    I'm disappointed for Jeremy for not placing top 3. If USFSA keeps their tradition, Jeremy won't go to worlds. I'm sad.

    Now time for the big question: WHat does Jeremy need to do for his comeback trail?

    I've been following Jeremy's career for some time. As I know more about him I am also becoming interested in how he grows as a person. He strikes me as a layback, relaxed sort--which is why so many fans, including me, like him.

    That said, I must say that top competitors tend to have an intense tunnel vision thing about them. Kurt Browning once said he never handled his own websites because the more things get in your head, the less you act like yourself out there (ie on the ice). Jeremy, OTOH, interacts with fans online regularly, signs many autographs during competitions, shares chocolate with a friend at worlds (or at least he's sighted doing so), reads what's said about him online, and even watches an international rival win their respective nationals (Chan at Canadian).

    Now all this is what makes Jeremy such a charming person, though at the same time I wonder if a bit more "tunnel vision" will help him better as a competitor. If he wants the world title, he may wanna rethink certain things to help him more focused and confident as a skater. But it's up to him--that's nothing wrong with being a relaxed and fun guy while being an elite competitor. It's his life, and he doesn't owe me any title (or any one for that matter). Whatever makes him happy I'm happy.

    I really like Jeremy as a person, and I would like to see him figure out how to turn things around when things are not going well. There's a life lesson here that is as important as winning or losing.

    Anyway: Jeremy, good luck next year!

    (I've never wanted to say this before as I'd been branded as a "traitor". Now is it too late to say it?)
    Last edited by jlai; 01-31-2011 at 12:03 AM.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Take me back to TEXAS
    Posts
    727
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1501
    1. If there really is a boot issue- that needs to get fixed. Maybe a different boot company?
    2. If it's some kind of other injury or health issue, that needs to get fixed.
    3. A long rest would help. He's been going without his usual summer downtime.
    4. i am kind of under the impression that the social media helps him relax and express himself. He doesn't twitter much , if at all just before and during competitions.
    5. He's 25. At 17 you can live like a hermit. At 25 you really can't.
    6. School- I think College may help his perspective on life- even just an online course or 2. It would also help him start to look at what comes after skating.
    7. Rent a house- invite Adam, Ashley and Mirai to be roomies. Plot world domination.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Still cheering for Mirai and Jeremy
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,879
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1271
    I don't even know what Jeremy can do anymore. I mean he seemed relaxed and he was goofing off even after his LP (a couple of years ago he would've been in tears). Maybe he was too relaxed? I mean if he got tunnel vision maybe that would make him tense again. I kind of wonder if his LP just didn't fit him or if he somehow needs more time with it. I mean he's made mistakes all season in the FS but done rather well with the SP.

    Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise and this will make him hungry. I think that's been missing this season. He hasn't seemed as hungry as he was in 08-09, 09-10.

    I wish him the best next season and I hope he doesn't get discouraged. Even when he doesn't skate his best, he's such a pleasure to watch. I have loved his LP this season, mistakes and all. I think he still has some fight in him and I really think he has the potential to get on a World podium.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Still cheering for Mirai and Jeremy
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,879
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1271
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    7. Rent a house- invite Adam, Ashley and Mirai to be roomies. Plot world domination.
    Perhaps they could do a reality TV show focusing on their attempts to dominate the world of figure skating and beyond.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

  5. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Interesting point re the need for tunnel vision, as a competitor. Jeremy seemed to have it together. That was some competition though, and the next generation of U.S. male skaters were in the zone this afternoon. Looks like most of the younger guys had a fire lit under them knowing that Evan and Johnny were not competing (and they had nothing to lose -- Jeremy and Adam had something to lose and something to prove). There was a fierce battle for the top spots.

    I'm not sure what Jeremy does now. He's been undermarked this season. He is a lowkey guy and his programs have a complexity and depth that has just gone unrecognized and unrewarded. Perhaps it comes down to showing you can compete consistently well on the World stage, and do it in big moments (a test Jeremy failed at the Olympics -- and it seems he's been punished ever since). After he doubled the first triple today, he just had to keep going and skate clean and he would have made the team. Sure there's time for reflecting, taking stock, coming back next year -- but you only get so many chances in this sport. You need to have a lot of backing and support from key people (like Alissa has had), and from great fans and key people (like Ryan has had), but you also have to deliver, and maybe sometimes it's not fair, and you're being judged more harshly (especially when you've messed up before and missed big opportunities like Jeremy and Mirai).

    But it's never over, till ... (the coffin is sealed) -- and even then, there may be life after life.

  6. #6
    Title-less
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    8,769
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    6417
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    4. i am kind of under the impression that the social media helps him relax and express himself. He doesn't twitter much , if at all just before and during competitions.
    He definitely does that more than most other male competitor. I wonder how skaters like Lysacek or Lambiel keep a balance between skating and other parts of their life. Lysacek def. mentioned sacrificing social life for skating.

    Anyway I don't think introspective skaters should go watch their competitors compete (even if you're not in that competition)

    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    Maybe he was too relaxed? I mean if he got tunnel vision maybe that would make him tense again. I kind of wonder if his LP just didn't fit him or if he somehow needs more time with it. I mean he's made mistakes all season in the FS but done rather well with the SP.

    Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise and this will make him hungry. I think that's been missing this season. He hasn't seemed as hungry as he was in 08-09, 09-10.
    Yes, he needs to be hungry-- like wanting the world title badly enough. Sometimes he has this whatever happens happens mentality, so
    perhaps this is what he needs to take matters into his hands.
    Last edited by jlai; 01-31-2011 at 12:58 AM.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Take me back to TEXAS
    Posts
    727
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1501
    I am more worried that this has put an end to his show skating career.

    I had wanted to see him skate for many years in shows.

    So my advice for next year: creativity, expression. I feel he has a lot more to give as an artist. So- no more Mr Conservative.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,865
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    978
    I think he just needs to keep skating and doing his best...Look at Ryan Bradley last season-wasn't he going to quit after the Olympics? He decided to keep trying, and look what happened? And Johnny Weir-after his dismal Nationals in 2008 (hope I got that year right), he went home, cried, pulled himself back together, worked his skinny little arse off and placed 3rd at Nationals and made the US. Olympic team. And Alissa...

    He's a wonderful, beautiful, gorgeous skater, and I think he's actually made progress with his competition nerves. People fall in competition-As Scott Hamilton keeps telling us over and over and over again, the ice is slippery and anyone can fall in competition. So he placed 4th at Nationals this year. It's just one event in his lifetime.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Still cheering for Mirai and Jeremy
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,879
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1271
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    Anyway I don't think introspective skaters should go watch their competitors compete (even if you're not in that competition)
    IA. He shouldn't watch any of his top competitors compete. He should just focus on himself.


    Yes, he needs to be hungry-- like wanting the world title badly enough. Sometimes he has this whatever happens happens mentality, so
    perhaps this is what he needs to take matters into his hands.
    I think he'll be hungry next season. He'll know he has to bring it, even when there is seemingly no competition. He was shocked when he was in third after his LP. He clearly wasn't expecting that and I wonder if he thought he would be held up by the judges. In that sense, perhaps he can take a page out of Chan's book. Chan could've risked zoning it in at Nationals but he still put it all out.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm really shocked by his placement. He has too much talent to not be going to worlds. This worlds is going to be so weird without him and Mirai.

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    13,515
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42165
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    I think he just needs to keep skating and doing his best...Look at Ryan Bradley last season-wasn't he going to quit after the Olympics? He decided to keep trying, and look what happened? And Johnny Weir-after his dismal Nationals in 2008 (hope I got that year right), he went home, cried, pulled himself back together, worked his skinny little arse off and placed 3rd at Nationals and made the US. Olympic team. And Alissa...

    He's a wonderful, beautiful, gorgeous skater, and I think he's actually made progress with his competition nerves. People fall in competition-As Scott Hamilton keeps telling us over and over and over again, the ice is slippery and anyone can fall in competition. So he placed 4th at Nationals this year. It's just one event in his lifetime.
    This!

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Jeremy is going to 4CC with Armin and Adam.

    "Taking matters into your own hands" means dealing with the nerves and pressure. What that must feel like, I don't know -- when the arena is alive with energy from previous skaters who've skated lights out, and you've got to go out there, gather that energy and let it work for you. Thinking too much can dissipate that energy and allow nerves to filter in and unwanted thoughts to sabotage. OTOH, when previous skaters have tanked a bit, and there isn't a lot of energy in the arena, but more tension, how do you relax that and allow muscle memory to take over, and let the music guide you?

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,211
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    He should turn pro. Doesnt he tour with Stars on Ice parttime. He peaked in 2009-2010 and even then he wasnt good enough to factor in major events even when he skated very well (eg- 2010 Worlds). He is 26 now I believe, and he would be 29 by Sochi. The judges have been dropping his scores this year in a big way even when he doesnt make as many mistakes. I just dont see the point in him continuing, it is not like he is going to achieve anything better than he already has, or even duplicate his best achievements of 2009 and 2010. Of course he will do what he wants but that is my personal opinion.

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,211
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    I think he just needs to keep skating and doing his best...Look at Ryan Bradley last season-wasn't he going to quit after the Olympics? He decided to keep trying, and look what happened? And Johnny Weir-after his dismal Nationals in 2008 (hope I got that year right), he went home, cried, pulled himself back together, worked his skinny little arse off and placed 3rd at Nationals and made the US. Olympic team. And Alissa...

    He's a wonderful, beautiful, gorgeous skater, and I think he's actually made progress with his competition nerves. People fall in competition-As Scott Hamilton keeps telling us over and over and over again, the ice is slippery and anyone can fall in competition. So he placed 4th at Nationals this year. It's just one event in his lifetime.
    Progress? Just one competition? He didnt even make the Grand Prix final this year in a year of horrible mens skating where Chan was dominating for awhile with 4 falls per event.

  15. #15
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I agree with Wiery. You sound like Phil Hersh, judgejudy27.

    (Jeremy largely didn't make the GP Final because he was undermarked, IMHO, not because he didn't skate well on the circuit). Just because the judges (including you) have written Jeremy off, that doesn't mean he has to stop skating as an eligible competitor. If Johnny Weir had listened to officials, his career would have been over before it started.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-31-2011 at 01:35 AM.

  16. #16
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,261
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This has to be the craziest US nationals EVER lol

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Take me back to TEXAS
    Posts
    727
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1501
    Now that Ryan has a Nat'l champ- SOI/smuckers will use him instead of Jeremy. There will be no show career for Jeremy.

    I'm just wondering if he is under any obligation to Reidell, or he can change skate manufacturers.

    (but it sure wouldnt hurt him to start looking at a plan B: life after eligible skating)
    (he's mentioned he wants to stay in skating one way or another for life-so hopefully opportunities will develop)
    Last edited by centerpt1; 01-31-2011 at 01:34 AM. Reason: addit

  18. #18
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,211
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    I agree with Wiery. You sound like Phil Hersh, judgejudy27.

    (Jeremy largely didn't make the GP Final because he was undermarked, IMHO, not because he didn't skate well on the circuit). Just because the judges (including you) have written Jeremy off, that doesn't mean he has to stop skating as an eligible competitor. If Johnny Weir had listened to officials, his career would have been over before it started.
    The only reason Weir even stayed in at that point was there was an Olympics in 2010 and he still was one of those who had a shot to fight for the 3rd spot (as he was never beating Evan or Abbott by then). If the Olympics were say in 2012 he wouldnt have stayed in.

    You admit Jeremy's stock is falling with the judges. I concur with that. So lets break this down, you are 26 years old, the next Olympics are 3 years away, your results are declining, your skating is regressing, and to top all that off you arent in favor with the judges either internationally or nationally nearly as much as you used to be. Of course you dont have to retire, but it certainly isnt foolish on my part to suggest now might be the time to do so.

  19. #19
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by centerpt1 View Post
    Now that Ryan has a Nat'l champ- SOI/smuckers will use him instead of Jeremy. There will be no show career for Jeremy.

    I'm just wondering if he is under any obligation to Reidell, or he can change skate manufacturers.

    (but it sure wouldnt hurt him to start looking at a plan B: life after eligible skating)
    (he's mentioned he wants to stay in skating one way or another for life-so hopefully opportunities will develop)
    Ahhhh, so Scott/SOI wanted to grab Ryan (not a bad pick, he's a showman who connects with audiences). Well, like I said, having "key people" behind you in the skating world is important. I do enjoy Ryan, and I'm glad for him. I thought his boogie woogie bugle boy number rocked, and he created it himself. He's 27 too, so he'll probably retire after Worlds, unless he feels he can keep injuries at bay and jump into the fray again.

    There is life after eligible skating, but making the decision and the transition isn't easy.

  20. #20
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,365
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The only reason Weir even stayed in at that point was there was an Olympics in 2010 and he still was one of those who had a shot to fight for the 3rd spot (as he was never beating Evan or Abbott by then). If the Olympics were say in 2012 he wouldnt have stayed in.

    You admit Jeremy's stock is falling with the judges. I concur with that. So lets break this down, you are 26 years old, the next Olympics are 3 years away, your results are declining, your skating is regressing, and to top all that off you arent in favor with the judges either internationally or nationally nearly as much as you used to be. Of course you dont have to retire, but it certainly isnt foolish on my part to suggest now might be the time to do so.
    Don't disagree with your last paragraph here (except I don't feel Jeremy's skating is "regressing"). I do disagree with your other posts saying Jeremy didn't make any progress with his competition nerves, and that "it's not like he's going to achieve anything better than he already has..." Unless you have a crystal ball, or some other way of looking into the future, you don't know that. And BTW, Michelle Kwan has already proven that winning or not winning gold medals in figure skating, doesn't predict or determine what else is possible for skaters to achieve.

    Regarding Johnny (read his book), I was referring to circa 2002-2003 when he was rudely told by an official that he might as well give it up, because he was washed up and the judges would never reward him again.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 01-31-2011 at 03:22 AM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •