Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shan View Post
    I hate it when ice dancers use muzak covers.
    I hate it when any kind of skater uses any kind of lame cover. I don't mean to reject every recording of a song previously done by someone else (cuz that would rule out pretty much any modern recording of a classical symphony or opera) but a singer should never cover another artists hit in the same style unless they can actually do it better (which pretty much lets out just about everything ever recorded by Michael Buble).

vCash
    I just saw an in depth interview with VM on QTV on youtube. They talked about the ups and downs of their partnership even a time when they didn't speak to each other for 2 months. They even took couples counseling!

I'm a VM fan but DW uber. I am dying to see an in depth interview with D/W. I really want to know the dynamic of their partnership. Sure we catch glimpses in the kiss n cry and maybe the truth booth but I don't think it does them justice. Also they typically get asked the same questions so maybe I'm just dying to come up with super creative questions that no one has asked before. Like I'd have each describe the other in 5 words.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figure85 View Post
    Also they typically get asked the same questions so maybe I'm just dying to come up with super creative questions that no one has asked before. Like I'd have each describe the other in 5 words.
    You could try posting in their guestbook: http://davis-white.ice-dance.com/contact-us/ (or maybe even asking them via Twitter?)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by figure85 View Post
    I am dying to see an in depth interview with D/W. I really want to know the dynamic of their partnership. Sure we catch glimpses in the kiss n cry and maybe the truth booth but I don't think it does them justice. Also they typically get asked the same questions so maybe I'm just dying to come up with super creative questions that no one has asked before. Like I'd have each describe the other in 5 words.
    There's an interview that came out last season on the Absolute Skating website. This isn't incredibly in-depth but it does ask them to answer questions for each other. Meryl has to answer what she thinks Charlie's favorite movie is and vice versa. It's fun and cute.

http://www.absoluteskating.com/index...2009daviswhite

vCash
    Nice interview...refreshing to hear some different questions.

vCash
    I don't do links well, but icenetwork has an interesting article about the ice dance competition at Nationals. They interviewed a ballroom dancer to get their take on how the dance couples did. They have really nice things to say about Meryl and Charlie. So head on over and read it!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by semogal View Post
    I don't do links well, but icenetwork has an interesting article about the ice dance competition at Nationals. They interviewed a ballroom dancer to get their take on how the dance couples did. They have really nice things to say about Meryl and Charlie. So head on over and read it!
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

vCash
    What a lovely article.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Theatregirl1122 View Post
    Thanks for linking it!!

vCash
    Very nice!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    The compliment to Z&S was particularly nice, and what I have always felt about them--that they try to bring out the unique style of each of their couples.

It does lead me to say that I think Maddy & Greg need to go for a character-driven piece again next year. This year's FD is so much better for them than last year's, and I do think the character part really fits them.

And I liked that Grinenko was able to see that all of Meryl & Charlie's FD was an Argentine tango, because that is how they have always described the whole piece, as being in a Buenos Aires club That is one of the things that I have always loved about D&W, their ability to catch the character of a dance and translate it to the ice, so that even without the music, you know what type of dance it is (mostly seen in their OD's, but I still love it).

vCash
    Dont know, did you saw this. Scroll dawn to read M-C interwie
    http://worldskating.blogspot.com/sea...bel/Interviews

vCash
    Pani, Thank you very much!

vCash
    And another article about Meryl and Charlie on http://www.meryl-charlie.com/

Its mostly familiar information with a few things that I hadn't heard before.

Fending off those velocity raptors inside the LHC...with a crossbow
    vCash
    Sorry I'm late to this discussion, but I wanted to chime in:

Quote Originally Posted by missysays View Post
    Really? Why not? That version of the song- with instrumentals and a choir vocalizing was really powerful. If there's not an instrumental version of that song that's available then it would be hard to cut together a piece that would work but the music itself is really focused and modern sounding. A style that I think would work for them. It would be difficult to edit together a decent cut with just Eminem's vocals but I think the modern concept is something they should think about.
    I agree, I thought the music was very moving and that's not something I thought I'd ever say about Eminem. The choir in the background really added to that feeling too, and it would not be too unusual for ice dance. I feel like I hear choral music being used all the time in ice dance. Anissina/Peizerat's Carmina Burana is the most epic one I can think of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWOPz...eature=related. Although I guess the choir in the Eminem sounds more like gospel backing than operatic choral. Is the idea of a program with some gospel music too outrageous? I can imagine a beautifully uplifting program about freedom and hope and spirit, and D/W have already shown a superb cultural sensitivity with the Indian OD that I think they could handle any delicate themes they choose.

Also, I know lots of keyboards have a choral setting, and I don't think it would be too hard to lay down a choral track with that. I agree with the person who said it probably wouldn't be too hard (and pretty cheap) to get a University of Michigan music student to create music for them, if they wanted.

Anyway, I would love to see D/W try their hand at powerful music with a non-romantic, uplifting, goosebump-raising theme. A modern piece of music, where D/W could showcase power, but in a very clean and sleek way, could be something for the ages. Maybe better to test out any ideas through an exhibition first, though.

vCash
    I hate it when any kind of skater uses any kind of lame cover. I don't mean to reject every recording of a song previously done by someone else (cuz that would rule out pretty much any modern recording of a classical symphony or opera)
    I agree that not all covers are bad. Some , in fact, are even better than the original. That goes for modern songs as well. For example, as much as I love the original Billie Jean, I adore the David Cook cover used by Meryl and Charlie in their exhibition.
    I also like the Glee version of Soul Sister - even better than the original.

vCash
    For example, as much as I love the original Billie Jean, I adore the David Cook cover used by Meryl and Charlie in their exhibition.
    Oh, I agree that recording was good enough and different enough not to suffer by comparison. I also think pretty much any song that Linda Ronstadt covers is usually as good or better than the earlier recording. What I hate is that muzak effect of some recordings - sung by a weaker voice without the style and flavor of the original.

I think my snarky comment was inspired by a song I'd heard earlier that day of someone covering Save the Last Dance for Me. It was so lame you would not have even recognized it as a Latin rhythm. (It's technically a cha-cha, usually danced as a rhumba, but not that version.) Can anyone recall skaters using that song for an exhibition?

For those who don't know it, here is the original recording: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-XQ26KePUQ

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    I think my snarky comment was inspired by a song I'd heard earlier that day of someone covering Save the Last Dance for Me. It was so lame you would not have even recognized it as a Latin rhythm. (It's technically a cha-cha, usually danced as a rhumba, but not that version.) Can anyone recall skaters using that song for an exhibition?
    I'm not sure what cover you are talking about but many skaters have used the Michael Buble version of Save the Last Dance for Me as an exhibition including Kozuka and Abbott.

vCash
    What do you think about this?
    http://www.youtube.com./watch?v=TsVe...eature=related
    I think this music will be greate for D-W paower-drama style. Much better, then tango

vCash
    You're kidding, right ?

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast