Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I agree with all who said is Alissa can do it why can't Ashley? She had a rough competition and overall season with the flu at nationals and missing training time due to her other health issues this result isn't a surprise. I hope that she continues next season and with hard work she can still be in the thick of things next year.

vCash
    I love Ashley but IMO she needs a coaching change to someone who can fix her technical issues (Arutunian? Callaghan?), and a new choreographer who can bring out her strengths more.

vCash
    Wait, since she finished 6th at Nationals...will she have to skate at sectionals to qualify?

And yes, I agree a coaching change is in order if she wants to improve. It seems that Hill and Ashley have a great relationship, but it doesn't seem to be improving her skating whatsoever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Wait, since she finished 6th at Nationals...will she have to skate at sectionals to qualify?

That will probably depend on her international assignments. She could get a bye to 2012 Nat's.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Nats was pretty disappointing with the exception of Alissa. I think Ashley along with every US skater should work really hard on their edges, there is not much flow to most these ladies skating. They also need to work on their transitions and check out better on their landings.

vCash
    I WANT to see Ashley do well. I think it's possible.

vCash
    Mirai was 5th in 2009, and then came back strong last year to finish second. Alissa was 10th last year, and blew the field away this year. With Flatt off to school next year, I think Ashley has a chance to break through and make it. She actually has all of the qualities, except she can't seem to skate a good SP when it counts. She needs to gain a new perspective on the SP and take some pressure off herself.

vCash
    Ashley has basic skating issues: flutzing, and a tendency to two-foot and/or UR her jump landings. Unless and until she addresses these issues, she is not going to succeed at the level she so much wants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I DON'T want Ashley to leave the sport! She has a lot to offer and can get there - she has the whole array of jumps, decent speed, decent spiral, decent spinner. Most of all she doesn't have the 'fear' that plagues the skating of someone like Mirai and Alissa (until recently). She attacks! I love it and count her as one of my faves
    Agree! I love that Ashley attacks, but still is able to skate pretty. She has a great fighting spirit and it's enjoyable to watch.

I don't think she can afford to just wait for the skaters ahead of her to retire though, because the youngsters are only only going to get better. She needs to improve her jumps and stop the two-footing... you'd think she's confident enough to stop doing that.

I don't know why she bombs SPs... seems she wants it so desperately she psyches herself out. Maybe she needs lessons from Alissa on finding her calm centred place.

Also I'd imagine the spasms have kept her from focusing on improvements this year. Now that this seems to be sorted out perhaps next year she'll be a lot better.
    Last edited by ninadel; 01-30-2011 at 06:10 PM.

vCash
    Yeah just imagine in only 2 years how much better Agnes and Gao should be. Throw in Lam, Siraj and Hicks and Ashley might become lost in the shuffle.

vCash
    Well if "health issues" is a euphemism for what I think it is, then she absolutely needs to get that worked out first. If that means taking some time off from skating, then she should do that. Putting that aside, I don't know if Priscilla is the best coach for her. A jump technician would probably be a good idea, but I think no matter how much work goes into her flutzing and two-foot landings, that's always an issue that's going to come up when she's nervous at major events. I also think it's silly for her to rely on overused music. Malaguena and the like don't help her stand out in a crowded field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Well if "health issues" is a euphemism for what I think it is, then she absolutely needs to get that worked out first.
    I beg your pardon? People say "health issues" because it's shorter than saying "a racing heart and muscle spasms" every single time.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Ashley is a beautiful girl and when she is on she is a beautiful skater. I think we need to cut her some slack for her performances at Nationals this year. The girl had the flu this week and is recovering from a serious medical condition that limited her training this season. That said, she has some work ahead of her if she wants to move up to the podium: wrong edges, double footed landings, and figuring out how to skate a clean SP. I vote for a coach change.

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash

vCash
    I tweeted her back that she did.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    I think if Ashley can get over the mental block of the short program at nationals, she would be able to be top 3. I don't see this years placement as a reflection of her skills because she was dealing with the flu this week. Hopefully next year we will have three world team spots so more girls can go!

vCash
    Guys, she had the fricikin' flu at Nationals for heavensakes. Give her a break!

She definitely should stay in until Sochi to the very least. She is more than capable of getting on that podium at Nationals.
    Last edited by smarts1; 01-31-2011 at 12:59 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Yeah just imagine in only 2 years how much better Agnes and Gao should be. Throw in Lam, Siraj and Hicks and Ashley might become lost in the shuffle.
    I don't think Siraj or Lam will get through the puberty monster. Their jumps are . It could be the same for Agnes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Many people said the newcomers would overshadow Czisny, many people expected Zawadzki to beat Flatt this year, and many people thought Gao would better her Nationals placement from last year. None of that happened. The sport is too unpredictable to know what will happen.

It's not like Wagner finished 6th at Nationals because the skaters ahead of her blew her away... She just made a lot of mistakes- it's part of the sport. Going forward, she doesn't need to worry about the other skaters, as they all will have their own issues. They all will have to adjust to growth spurts, deal with pressure, fix technique problems, etc. Wagner just has to focus on her own weaknesses like her 2-fted jumps.

AND she had the flu! We need to give these skaters a break. As important as it was, Nationals is still just one competition. We could hold the competition again tomorrow and the results may be drastically different!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_E View Post
    I agree with all who said is Alissa can do it why can't Ashley?
    Well first of all Alissa has some standout qualities in her skating that make her special and that even international judges love and reward. Wagner while I like her as an overall skater, does not in the same way. You dont look at her and say wow look at that such and such. Of course you dont with Flatt either but Flatt has still been beating Wagner for years now, even at 2008 Nationals when Wagner skated lights out.

Alissa has also shown she is always rewarded when she skates well, internationally and of easily nationally. Wagner skated 2 perfect programs at Nationals in 2008 with a triple lutz-triple loop combination in BOTH (I cant believe now she was ever doing that) and still placed only 3rd behind a faulty Nagasu and Flatt. What more than that could she ever do.

I would like to see Wagner breakthrough but I dont see much synonym to her and Czisny.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast