Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    ...an acquired taste
    vCash
    I tried Nutrisystem a few years ago and really liked it. I lost about 55 pounds on the program, but I also exercised like a dog. Perhaps my palate is not as sophisticated as some others who have posted, but I didn't think the food was that bad. It is a diet, so the fat and sugars are cut down, but I expected as much. I chose a plan that had both prepackaged foods and also frozen foods that were delivered separately. Breakfasts were things like cereal, muffins, granola bars, egg white omelets, pankakes, and the odd breakfast burrito. The forzen lunches were similar to Hot Pockets, and the pre-packaged ones were things like tortilla soup, black bean soup, and - gosh, I can't remember. Dinners were mainly microwave dinners- the frozen ones were tastier, but there were only about 6 or so options. The prepackaged ones had more variety. Portion sizes seemed small initially, but after a few days, I didn't even notice, and remarkably, I was never hungry. There are afternoon snacks and evening snacks- things like ice cream sundaes and sandwiches, which were quite good, and a variety of salty mixes and bland coockies and things like lemon bars that were dense but served their purpose. All in all, I didn't find the food to be all that bad, but what got me over time was the lack of variety. Fortunately, by the time I started feeling that, I had lost more weight than I had ever intended to lose, and I learned a lot about portion control, so I didn't need the plan any more. You can certainly lose weight easily with other methods, but Nutrisystem is really easy and convenient.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    How much do these programs stress exercise? Because in my experience, unless you are making a habit of working out to the point where you need a nap afterwards, all the "portion control" in the world isn't going to do you a bit of good.
    NS pushes exercise, but that wasn't my problem area because I was already exercising when I started their program. My problem was portion control, and I already drank a lot of water, so I had half the battle already won going into the program.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

waiting for Spring :(
    vCash
    I am actually on it right now and maybe its just me but I don't find the food that bad
    For me it's great because I work full time and teach part time so I am always on the run and its so easy with this plan as the food is there are ready and takes 90 seconds...
    For breakfast I really like the chocolate muffins and the cereal too, the portions are really tiny though but apparently that is what we are supposed to eat
    The chocolate bars for desert are excellent - my favourite being the chocolate mint - tastes just like a yorkie.. also the peanut butter ones are yummy, I really look forward to them at night..

The lunches and dinners for me have been hit and miss - like southpaw said get a variety pack.. I also love the freeze dried burger.. and also the sausage rice and lasagna.. I even like the pizza bread thing.. not been a huge fan of the lunches but do like the split pea soup and the bean soup..

What has worked for me (I have lost 7 pounds in the first 2.5 weeks) is that I'm eating so many fresh vegetables and fruit.. which if you knew me would be shocking (my athlete daughter is impressed).. initially because I was starving - well the first few days and now I'm kinda hooked on having a small entree and a plate of veggies.. grocery shopping is very easy I just go to market and pick up fruit and veg for the week - costs about $20 and that's it as the rest of the food is provided..
    For people who are too busy to cook, on the run and need portion control - its much easier than weight watchers. Plus the food is delivered too.. so easy..
    We are celebrating our 25th with a trip to Europe so that is my motivation I want new clothes
    I think I'm going to do it for another month and then when the weight loss is done I'm going to head to weight watchers to hopefully lose some more and maybe even maintain.. well that's the plan Good luck..
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    NS pushes exercise, but that wasn't my problem area because I was already exercising when I started their program. My problem was portion control, and I already drank a lot of water, so I had half the battle already won going into the program.
    That's why I had a much slower start with Weight Watchers than a lot of people with my start weight. I already eat moderately healthy foods, and at the time I was still skating regularly and drinking lots of water. Portion sizes and a love of pasta and cheese are my issues.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    I have many friends and family who swear by Weight Watchers, but to me it seems like AA for foodaholics, and sometimes the more I talk about food, the more I want, so I think it would actually make me more obsessed!
    If you talk to any doctor they will tell you this is a very balanced program. (great for diabetics)
    If you go to the meetings, it is hit an miss finding a group that works. Some focus on the food, some focus on what makes people overeat. But, you can join online and get everthing the program offers.

I have tried so many different diets, and Weight Watcher is the only one that really taught me how to eat well and keep the weight off. Also, I lost weight all over, not just some areas.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Also, I lost weight all over, not just some areas.
    Interesting- how is it possible for your body to lose weight in just certain areas and not others?

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey View Post
    Interesting- how is it possible for your body to lose weight in just certain areas and not others?
    Great Question...

If you fad diet, you do not get an all over fat burn.

On diets that were not properly balanced, my face and tummy would lose the fat, but not my arms and legs. Also, because the weight may come off faster, you can look flabby because the skin does not "shrink" quickly.

Also, with fad diets some of what can be lost is actually muscle weight and can make the weight loss look out of proportion.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    We are celebrating our 25th with a trip to Europe so that is my motivation I want new clothes
    I think I'm going to do it for another month and then when the weight loss is done I'm going to head to weight watchers to hopefully lose some more and maybe even maintain.. well that's the plan Good luck..
    Are you going to stick with your diet plan when you go to Europe? It would be a shame if you did not sample the delicious food there, especially the pastries (YUM!).

vCash
    An update: I haven't tried Nutrisystem, but I did start Diet-To-Go. The food is surprisingly tasty. I'm on the lunch and dinner menu and have only tried two of the lunches, which were acceptable. But the dinners are surprisingly very tasty. I heat them in the oven, which I think makes a good difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12