Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Anyone try Nutrisystem?

I'm considering using it but would like to hear about others' experiences first. Thanks!

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Yes. The food is gross. But it works. You lose weight pretty easily, as long as you can choke the food down. It worked for me just because the food IS so gross. You REALLY don't finish a meal and say wow, that was so good I wish I could have some more! It fills the hole in your tummy without giving you the urge for seconds.

The freeze-dried burgers are pretty darn good. Surprisingly good. Sounds raunchy, they look nasty, but after sopping up hot water for a minute they actually become edible. The pizzas are tolerable. Stay away from the tuna casserole, whatever you do.

Someone once stole my shipment from the porch and they sent out a replacement shipment right away. They send stuffed bears for every ten pounds you lose. It sounds really corny, but you actually start to look forward to receiving those rainbow bears.

Oh yeah, there's a phenomena called the NutriToots because you get really, really gassy for the first few weeks.

But it works.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I have a friend who tried it, but couldn't stand it because the food was so horrible.

vCash
    Thanks for sharing. Other than the ones you mentioned, are there any other foods to steer toward or away from?

vCash
    Tried it for perhaps a month a few years back. I agree the food is disgusting. I gave half of it away. The snacks and desserts are tolerable

vCash
    My sister used the plan that was five days a week, weekends off. She did it for a month and dropped seven pounds. It really did teach her portion control.

And she didn't mind the food. There was only one thing that she couldn't stand, but I don't remember what it was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    My sister used the plan that was five days a week, weekends off. She did it for a month and dropped seven pounds. It really did teach her portion control.

And she didn't mind the food. There was only one thing that she couldn't stand, but I don't remember what it was.
    Um, was it .... The Food ?

vCash
    No. It was one of the soups, I think.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazpacho View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Other than the ones you mentioned, are there any other foods to steer toward or away from?
    The best thing to do with NS is to let them give you the "variety pack" or whatever it's called for the first shipment. You'll learn in the first month which foods are tolerable and which foods are too revolting to ever let into your house again.

For breakfast I always leaned towards the dry cereals and the breakfast bars. Powdered eggs? No thanks. The pancake mix wasn't bad, but I just didn't feel like bothering with that. I still follow the NS idea of breakfast, even though I don't eat the food. I eat a small bowl of cereal, a hard-boiled egg and a piece of fruit. NS really does train you in portion control. Now, whether or not you actually choose to put that information to use with real food is another matter, but at least you know what a controlled portion is.

For lunches I mostly chose the "just add water to the cup" products. I liked the split pea soup, the Mexican Tortilla soup, and the pasta cups like fettuccine alfredo. I even liked the chicken salad, but I think a lot of people would probably be squicked out by it.

The dinners are hit and miss, and that's something you'll just have to figure out through trial and error. They use Splenda in a couple of them and I can't stand what Splenda does on my tongue so I couldn't tolerate those. I generally leaned towards the burger, the pizza, rotini with meatballs, chicken and dumplings and the lasagna.

The desserts and snacks are pretty ok across the board.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    My coach is on Nutrisystem and has lost a ton of weight (though she works out a ton as well). The food looks/smells absolutely disgusting to me, and the portions are very small. I lost a lot of weight years ago on my own system - non-fat yogurt with fruit for breakfast, Lean Cuisine for lunch, salad with vinegar and smidgen of oil for dinner. It worked and it was cheap. Some people need structure, though, where I can see Nutrisystem works.

I've also tried Slim Fast - BLECH!

I have many friends and family who swear by Weight Watchers, but to me it seems like AA for foodaholics, and sometimes the more I talk about food, the more I want, so I think it would actually make me more obsessed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonita View Post
    My coach is on Nutrisystem and has lost a ton of weight (though she works out a ton as well). The food looks/smells absolutely disgusting to me, and the portions are very small. I lost a lot of weight years ago on my own system - non-fat yogurt with fruit for breakfast, Lean Cuisine for lunch, salad with vinegar and smidgen of oil for dinner. It worked and it was cheap. Some people need structure, though, where I can see Nutrisystem works.
    I did the same to lose about 30 pounds many years back. Breakfast shake in the morning, very lightly dressed salad at lunch, and a small piece of meat with veg for dinner. It was BORING, but after I got used to it, the weight dropped off fairly quickly.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Sounds great, I like the structured diets. I did a VLCD diet to blast off the weight Id gained from steroids. 50lb off in just over 4 months and it's stayed off for a year as that really taught me a lot about portion control as well.

I found it easier cos diets such as WW etc make me obsess more over food, wondering where I can use my points and thinking non stop re the next meal. End up thinking more about food than ever. Stuff like a VLCD or this sort of diet where you have your meals delivered or you pick them up for the week takes that away. Hope it does the trick for you!

ETA - I see Bonita more or less said exactly the same thing! LOL!
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    I know people who have lost weight on the pre-packaged food programs, but in most cases, it came back on. But note, I said in 'most cases'. I think the same can be said for any weight management program -- different things work for different people. I tried Jenny Craig and grew to hate it because I found the 'counsellors' rather condescending. I'm one who hates having to go to meetings and 'check in' with others, so WeightWatchers Online has been perfect for me. I'm learning portion control without having to go to meetings.

But...whatever works for you!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    I know people who have lost weight on the pre-packaged food programs, but in most cases, it came back on.
    Not me!

Now where are my congratulatory mittens?

vCash
    i tried it for a month in previous times and it was so disgusting I ended up throwing most of it out. I'm not a fan of the "buy our stuff" diets because once you stop eating their "stuff" the weight goes back on. If anything, go for weight watchers where you can make your own meals....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jp1andonly View Post
    i tried it for a month in previous times and it was so disgusting I ended up throwing most of it out. I'm not a fan of the "buy our stuff" diets because once you stop eating their "stuff" the weight goes back on. If anything, go for weight watchers where you can make your own meals....
    My sister has not gained back the weight she lost on Nutrisystem, because it showed her how much she was over-eating. It's all about what you learn from it.

vCash
    I have no experience with this but I did notice last time Nutrisystem was on the Shopping Channel, they said that it was improved. I can't remember if they said so specifically, but I took that to mean taste wise, since that's always been the complaint.

Might mean nothing, but I thought I'd mention it.

vCash
    How much do these programs stress exercise? Because in my experience, unless you are making a habit of working out to the point where you need a nap afterwards, all the "portion control" in the world isn't going to do you a bit of good.

vCash
    I bought a couple of Nutrisystem overstock dinners at Big Lots. It didn't taste that bad.

vCash
    This guide has a lot of good information: http://www.epicurious.com/articlesgu...ry_nutrisystem

It's interesting to note that the vegetarian plan apparently tastes a lot better.

These struck me as well, from The Nutritionist's Take at the bottom:

"Like the Jenny Craig program, the NutriSystem plan cuts calories mostly by reducing fat—but doesn't add much volume to make up for it. I guess that's what the 64 ounces of water are for. The ingredient lists are long (usually a bad sign) and feature lots of artificial ingredients, synthetic nutrients, preservatives, and hydrogenated (trans) fats.

"Aside from portion control and convenience (which is somewhat questionable when you still have to supply vegetables, salads, proteins, fruits, and fat), there really isn't a whole lot going for this plan. The only reason I'd rank NutriSystem higher than Jenny Craig is because it's lower in sugar. Compared with the PureFoods Low Carb plan, NutriSystem was lower in saturated fats but also lower in actual food ingredients. I'll call it an even trade between those two."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast