Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash

Unhappy Challenger Disaster ~ 25 years ago today

I just saw on the news a Memorial Servica/Ceremony at Cape Canaveral to mark this sad Anniversary. It doesn't seem possible it was *that* long ago.

Even though I *know* that wasn't the cause of the Shuttle exploding, when I hear the CAPCOM Officer give to the Shuttle the command of "Go to Throttle Up" when I'm watching a Shuttle Launch, I to this day look away. I just can't look, even though I know in my mind that's not what caused it, try telling my heart that.

So...Do you remember where you were when you heard the news?

I was just getting off the bus from a day at Jr High when the driver asked me if I'd heard about the Shuttle and I'd told her no. She told me it had blown up, but I thought she was just making that up to get a reaction from me, as it was well known what a Space Geek I am. Then I got home and Mom nearly pulled my arm out of it's socket before I even had the door open. For the rest of the night, I was parked in front of the TV and in shock.

It really is one of those "Where were you?" moments for my Generation.

I still often wonder how Christa McAullife's family is doing all these years later, as there was so much coverage of her being the First Teacher in Space. Not only her Family, but the others as well.

May they all Rest In Peace.

vCash
    I was teaching when it happened, I found out on my lunch break, couldn't think of anything else for weeks afterwards.

From what I remember reading a few years ago, Christa's husband remarried.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    So...Do you remember where you were when you heard the news?
    I was walking into the city's main library and saw a group of people gathered around a television set. I immediatly knew it was bad news but couldn't imagine what.

vCash
    I was in grad school, and was (of course) in the lab that day. We all gathered around the TV and watched with shock. It hit home particularly for us because members of our group had been involved with some experiments on some shuttle missions. I still remember President Regan talking about it, too, one of the few times I liked what he said.

vCash
    I was at home from school sick and was watching it live. I remember getting irritated that they showed it over and over all day because I didn't want to keep seeing the explosion. It upset me but my mom had the tv on to hear updates. I don't know why she did that because I remember thinking that it would be a while before they could study all the data and determine what caused the explosion. I knew immediately they had all died so no updates there either.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    I was in school at an assembly, I really didn't understand what was happening but I knew something went really wrong. Very sad day, doesn't seem like it's been 25 years.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    I still remember President Regan talking about it, too, one of the few times I liked what he said.
    The "Challenger Speech" is considered to be one of the best moments of his Presidency. Of course, it didn't hurt he used one of the great poems created about flight in it, High Flight.

About six months after the Columbia Disaster, a cross stitch chart was designed and produced to commemorate both Shuttle Disasters. It has the poem High Flight bracketed in the corners by a Shuttle Launching, w/Challenger January, 28, 1986 and a Shuttle coming in for Touchdown and Columbia March 1, 2003.

Would love to get my hands on that chart, but I've never seen it outside of Cross Stitch Magazines advertising it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AragornElessar View Post

Even though I *know* that wasn't the cause of the Shuttle exploding, when I hear the CAPCOM Officer give to the Shuttle the command of "Go to Throttle Up" when I'm watching a Shuttle Launch, I to this day look away. I just can't look, even though I know in my mind that's not what caused it, try telling my heart that.
    I was 8 years old, in third grade, and we had a snow day, so I was at a neighbor's house. I had been completely fascinated by the shuttle program, and had watched almost every prior launch.

I did not watch a launch again until John Glenn went back into space in the late 1990's. When that shuttle was told to go to throttle up. I froze and held my breath for a moment.

vCash
    I was subbing that day, pregnant with the Chav, and it was BD's 2nd birthday. A student came back from a break and told me what had happened. It was absolutely unbelievable...
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

...an acquired taste
    vCash
    I was at Penn, walking from my SOC 4 class ("The Family"), which was held in the chemistry building, toward Hill House for lunch. There were TVs set up in the cafeteria. I was with my friend Jenny. It's amazing what sometimes sticks in your mind...

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I was 21 and in Navy A-School in Penscaola FL. I walked into the barracks and there were a bunch of people in the lounge watching the coverage on tv.

vCash
    I was working, the office was busy that day. One of our customer service guys came in to hand us some orders, announced in a dull voice, "The shuttle just exploded," and walked away. I didn't quite comprehend it at first since we were so busy, but of course later on was glued to the TV for the entire evening.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash
    I watched the shuttle take off. Then I switched channels, to watch The Newlywed Game : During a commercial break, I switched back, and realized that the shuttle blew up.

Oh, and I was home from school because I had written a midterm that morning, and had the afternoon off.

vCash
    I live not far from KSC; so the tragedy, and its' consequences, hit hard.

I was watching, as I always did; and saw it all from my living room window - even the separation of the capsule - which NASA, at first, denied.

vCash
    I was in grade 6. My dad had just picked us up at school to take us out for lunch (because that is what we did when my mom was away), and I heard it on the radio in his truck. A great tragedy - somehow made worse for me because it was to be the "first teacher in space" and thus, millions of children all over the world were watching the launch.

vCash
    I was sitting on the couch eating breakfast before my mom took me & my sister to daycare. I was only 5 years old, but I remember that my mom teared up and just sat and watched a bit before she realized she'd be late for work.

vCash
    I was working in a high school. I walked into the cafeteria at lunch and one of the kids in the line asked me if I'd heard about it.

vCash
    I remember sitting on the floor of my cousin's apartment, and watching the news on TV (I did not watch the explosion live). I had just finished school and was still unemployed, looking for a job on the east coast. If I had a job at that time, I would not have heard about the Challenger until the evening.

vCash
    I was at work. My sister, a teacher at a nearby high school, called me with the news. We had a tv on a cart in a storage area. I wheeled it into the office and we all watched over and over and over again... Couldn't believe it...

vCash
    I was at work too. I worked in a manufacturing plant, and it was the only time they ignored the "no open radios" on the floor. The dictatorship-style manager even let us lull a bit in the production line as we all gathered around the radio to listen to the breaking news.

About an hour later we were in the breakroom, and by now pretty much everyone knew what was going on, and someone from maintenance came bursting into the breakroom and yelled "the shuttle just blew up!" We all just looked at him like, where have you been in the last hour?