Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angela Maxwell

Awaiting Validation
    vCash

Angela Maxwell

OK after watching Senior Ladies I suddenly remembered No Angela Maxwell.
    What happened to her ? She dropped off the face of the earth. Did she retire very quietly? Inquiring minds want to know?

vCash
    It's sort of a mystery, really...

vCash
    Her last appearance on-ice (March 27, 2010)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Nim--WM2Q

Interview (Nov 2009)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpq9OpeRxP0

vCash
    I really liked Angela. A great deal. Hope she is happy whatever she decides to do.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    My perception during her time in New Jersey was that she started battling with everyone she worked with--whether rightly or wrongly is a matter of interpretation--but her skills clearly suffered. In the early days, she was able to do a Biellman spiral, then release her foot and swing it right into a double Axel. It was amazing to see. The timing. She went from Robin Wagner to Olga Orlova. She was very hostile to just about everyone except Adam Ripon and Jane Ruan. Her skill level plummeted. Jumps vanished. Sad.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash

Angela Maxwell

Quote Originally Posted by TDsk8 View Post
    Her last appearance on-ice (March 27, 2010)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Nim--WM2Q

Interview (Nov 2009)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpq9OpeRxP0
    Thanks for this Utube. It's really telling and I honestly didn't know what happened to her. Some observations.

Angela talks about a back injury in the video. She says she had to take some time off to heal the injury. Then she goes from the interview into a Michael Jackson show song exhibition. She DOES TWO BACKFLIPS IN THE SHOW! WOW with a bad back? Something is not adding up here.

She was asked in the interview if she has a coach.....no she is going to have to try to find one now. She was asked by the interviewer about if she watched the olympics.....funny shows quite a bit of indifference about figure skating and says I watched snow boarding shawn white....lol Whrich is ok but you didn't watch your sport? Bizar???

She looks a little gothy now....hope she gets her head screwed on strait she is looking like trouble from the comments above.....it truely is sad....

vCash
    I skated at the same rink Angela skated at for a few months, and I remember watching her land a only slightly UR triple axel during a freestyle session. She had so much potential. The couple times I met her she seemed like a sweet person. No idea about her time in NJ though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WayCon View Post
    My perception during her time in New Jersey was that she started battling with everyone she worked with--whether rightly or wrongly is a matter of interpretation--but her skills clearly suffered. In the early days, she was able to do a Biellman spiral, then release her foot and swing it right into a double Axel. It was amazing to see. The timing. She went from Robin Wagner to Olga Orlova. She was very hostile to just about everyone except Adam Ripon and Jane Ruan. Her skill level plummeted. Jumps vanished. Sad.
    WayCon, thanks for noting these are your perceptions, and I don't want to "argue" about details regarding a teenage girl on a public board, BUT this seems a very skewed perception & I'd especially disagree with referring to Angela as "hostile". Her situation in NJ was more complicated than what you suggest and - in my perception- it would be unfair to suggest the outcome was her fault. Maybe that's not what you intended, but when the next poster interprets it to mean "she needs to get he head screwed on straight", I think it's only fair to emphasize that there is another side to the story. I wish Angela the best in whatever she chooses beyond skating.

vCash
    One of her friends asked her on facebook if she was done skating for good and she said "I don't know."

Awaiting Validation
    vCash

Angela

Quote Originally Posted by ryanbfan View Post
    One of her friends asked her on facebook if she was done skating for good and she said "I don't know."

Competitive Skating requires you to have your heart in it. It sounds like she doesn't and that's her choice. It's apparent SOMETHING happened here and she should have her privacy. It's just a shame to see such talent not taken to the full potential. This girl was amazing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dupagegal View Post
    Competitive Skating requires you to have your heart in it. It sounds like she doesn't and that's her choice. It's apparent SOMETHING happened here and she should have her privacy. It's just a shame to see such talent not taken to the full potential. This girl was amazing.
    I wasn't arguing that she should still compete even if she doesn't want to, just commenting. It's sad that this happened to her.

vCash
    The last time I heard about Angela was during an interview. She said she moved far away from her family and friends to train in figure skating in some fancy place with a fancy coach, just when she was a novice. It must have been very stressful for her; I don't think someone so young should be expected to have that level of independence. It may have been better for her to train nearer to her family, even if under a normal coach.

vCash
    I was wondering the same thing. I hope that she is able to return if that is what she wants.

vCash
    Angela was one of the most interesting Ladies. I am really heartbroken she decided to retire.

Her spark, her attack and feistiness - I miss that amongst a deluge of GFB programs.

On the other hand, with the level of skating being as high as in the US, she had very little chances of making the national team in seniors.

I wish she'd return and compete for Kazakhstan or Argentina. ;P

vCash
    I really hope she hasn't retired for good. She is such a little firecracker.

Hasn't she multiple nationalities in her ancestors? She really could skate for another country!
    Or I could adopt her so that she could skate for Germany!

vCash
    She's half Japanese. So that doesn't really help. But I don't really see her doing all that country hopping stuff anyway.

vCash
    I've heard from a family member that Angela is no longer skating and has no plans to resume skating. She's now in school.

podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    The last time I heard about Angela was during an interview. She said she moved far away from her family and friends to train in figure skating in some fancy place with a fancy coach, just when she was a novice. It must have been very stressful for her; I don't think someone so young should be expected to have that level of independence. It may have been better for her to train nearer to her family, even if under a normal coach.
    It depends on the person. Lots of skaters have done just that successfully in the past, but I guess it didn't work for her.
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brightphoton View Post
    After Maxwell won the 2008 U.S. Junior Ladies silver medal, she relocated to New Jersey in the spring or summer of 2008 and turned 16 that July. IIRC, her mother eventually joined her in NJ but I don't recall whether it was in 2009 or 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by manleywoman View Post
    It depends on the person. Lots of skaters have done just that successfully in the past, but I guess it didn't work for her.
    Many young skaters who move away from their families in order to train often live with host families and are just fine. Of course there are the not-so-successful situations/outcomes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by azskatefan View Post
    I've heard from a family member that Angela is no longer skating and has no plans to resume skating. She's now in school.
    Thanks for the update. I really enjoyed her spirited skating and wish her success in the future.

vCash
    According to her Wiki history she chabged coaches every year. Not all of it was her doing. Didn't the rink in Texas where she trained with Mishketunok close? I also read somewhere that her last coach in NJ (Orlova?). Decided to move to France to ice dance and called Angela from the airport to inform her.

The constant change has to be frustrating. I do wish she had continued, she was a breath of fresh air as a performer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast